Trek 3700 XC Hardtail

Trek 3700 XC Hardtail

Hit the trails or own the streets on a bike that’s meant for you. Front suspension, knobby tires… the trail awaits.

• Frame: Alpha White Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, bi-oval down tube w/integrated gusset, rack & fender mounts, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: Front suspension SR Suntour XCT w/coil spring and preload, 80mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula alloy FM21 front hub, FM31 rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/brushed sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano EF51, 7 speed
  • Brakeset: Tektro linear pull brakes w/Shimano EF51 levers

[Jan 16, 2014]
Peter

Strength:

Very strong components
Trek and Bontrager quality
Good gear ratios
Fender mounts, and Disk brake compatability

Front fork is rubbish, and has been recalled by Suntour for breaking and causing accidents
Tires wore out very quickly, and it broke down thin enough to pop a tube through normal use
Stock disk brakes are rubbish, and squeel like a stuck pig!

This is the first bike i rode at the bike store, and i was instantly in love! Got the bike and all the bells and whistles for $450 (this was the 3700D model.) After putting in a set of organic brake pads, and recabling it with decent cables, the bike runs beyond perfect! the parts are of decent quality for intermediate trails and basic road commuting. overall, this bike is of amazing value. Although it's made in china. The sticker was rather easy to peel off though!

Again, the forks have been recalled by Suntour, due to bad things happening. This only applies to the 2012 3700D (or disk) model. if you have this model, you can run it down to your local trek dealer and they'll slap on a pair of new shocks free of charge!

This bike is fully compatible with any and every part you could possibly want! You can attach rear racks, fenders, disk or rim brakes, any type of bottom bracket/Crankset, you can buy a conversion kit to change the headset to a fully integratred one.
The parts that come with the bike are Durable Shimano drivechain, Comfortable Bontrager Accessories, and the reliablility of a Trek!

1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS comp

[Dec 01, 2013]
speyers

Strength:

very agile you can throw it around hard bends and corners, maneuverability is awesome. frame

fork is pretty rubbish, front derailleur, brakes not disk but ohhwell

overall this bike is worth it, its extremelly fun to ride at all levels, just replace the forks with some rockshox like i have on mine, and change the front derailleur and the bike is awesome.

[Aug 02, 2013]
The danger

Strength:

The Toyota corolla of bikes! This bike is reasonably priced, surprisingly young and agile, an most importantly indestructible Frame some components were less than perfect but just upgrade em when the break overall at least 60 crashes and this bike is still going strong and clean

Front derailer
Saddle
Fork suspension
Had the handlebars bend after an endo/tree combo crash but any bike would have done that
Stock tires

I have been run over, endoed, tree slapped, and tail kicked off this bike and back onto the pavement/trail and I just pick up this bike and ride home (or roll it into the ambulance with me) and then begin planning my next ride

[Aug 09, 2012]
hocorider3700

Strength:

Durable, reliable, good handling, low maintenance, strong rims

beginner frame geometry, poor brakes,poor fork, 21 speeds. Saddle bent

A bought this bike when I realized my "hybrid" type bike wouldn't work for real trail riding. This bike was great to start getting good at riding and has been pushed far beyond its "limits". I ride Moderate to technical trails once a week even though this bike is made for smooth trails. I've jumped 5 foot tabletops and crashed many times. Only parts I have broken are the saddle and the front derailler. I added a WTB pure V race saddle and an Avid G3 rotor in the front. I plan on adding truvativ bars and stem.

Diamondback Outlook

[Feb 24, 2012]
jsmith75

Strength:

Afordable and durable bike for trail rides to intermediate trails. Disc brake version has good stopping power. Tension adjustable front suspension fork. Low maintenance. Saddle gets bent easily (could be the way I'm riding')

Replacement Tektro disc brakes pads are hard to find at most bikes shops in my area.
Stock Bontrager tires are too slick for mountain bike trails and slip on steep uphills. They would be fine for level trails and gravel paths.

Good beginner mountain/trail bike. Wish it had a better front suspension with lockout and damping adjustment (but I didn't buy that bike).
It handles OK but at higher speeds and downhills I did not feel as confident in the ability of it or me staying in control.

Some Walmart Bikes, do not want to discuss further.

[Feb 20, 2012]
jonyoon21

Strength:

This is a review for an older version of this model, 2004 to be exact.

This is a VERY Solid bike. Sturdy frame. Shifting is very smooth and easy with the Shimano click-type shifters. Aside from cleaning and lubing the chain (which I never did until a couple of years ago) and cleaning it when necessary, this bike requires virtually no maintenance. The stock equipment is great for beginner mountain riding or just light trails. Growing up, I took mine everywhere, it was my ride to the world.

My parents bought me my Trek 3700 in 2004 at the end of jr high school (after they got tired of buying me a new bike every year because I broke all of them). I guess I haven't grown that much taller since then (I was 5'10" then, now 6') so the 21" frame is still a good fit. Since then it has withstood all the abuse I could throw at it. I've broken wheels, pedals, a crank arm, my arm, my wrist, and had plenty of cuts, scrapes, and bruises, yet the bike keeps asking for more. It has sat exposed to the elements for months at a time, yet the aluminum frame never rusted (the chain did of course). This bike has seen quite the tour of duty.

At the start of college I wanted a motorcycle, but the parents said no. So I got the wise idea to put an engine on my old bike. What an experience that was (40 mph on this bike is NOT recommended or any bike for that matter). I put full fenders on the bike and a rear rack for daily commuting to school. I then modded the cheap engine and pushed it till it exploded.The engine is dead now (learned a lot about engines from tinkering), but the bike is still rolling. Did I mention that this bike is rock solid?

I have an actual motorcycle now and am planning to repair my trusty bike (from new parts and donor parts of a bike I partially brought back home from studying abroad - left the frame, handlebars, and fork behind). A new fork, neck (maybe depending on the fork), crankset, wheels, brakes (discs this time), front and rear derailers, chain, seat, and a fresh coat of paint are the plan to get my baby back on the trails.

Why not just buy a new bike if I'm going to spend money on it? Cause of the sentimental value attached to this one of course! That and the frame is rock solid. Also if I were to buy a new bike, I would be upgrading (maybe build a custom bike off a foldable Montague mountain bike frame) or buy a higher end Trek, either which I can't afford now.

Obviously it's a beginner/light trail use bike, so it's not going to be comparable to those 2k+ bikes out there. The front fork is said to be the weakest link on the bike. No disc brakes, but the V-brakes work well enough for what the bike was designed for.

This is a great bike for the beginner or not too much hardcore trail use. The bike is kid proof as well as bullet proof. Aside from lubing the chain every now and then and cleaning, there is no maintenance required. For the price, you can't beat it. Mine has lasted the past 8 years.

If you've recently gotten into mountain biking, or just want a tough bike that can handle the occasional off road that won't break the bank too bad but will last a long time, this is the bike for you. It can even support full fenders and a rear rack.

Trek 820 (friend's), Cheap Wal-Mart bikes

[Feb 16, 2012]
ggil

Strength:

2011 Trek 3700 Disc: Durable, light weight, gears shift smoothly, disc brakes are awesome, good stock components, great bike for the price point.

The front shock cannot be locked. It has an adjuster, but unless you turn it to its firmest setting you will feel the bike bounce when you climb.

This is a great buy! Very good stock components. I am new to the sport and wanted to get a good beginner to intermediate bike that I could grow into without overspending. So far, I have been impressed with the overall quality of the bike. The components are great. The disc brakes work great, gears shift smoothly, it climbs well, and can be used on the road as well as the trails. I use the bike primarily for mountain biking, but I also strap on a baby seat and take my 2 year old daughter with me on rides.

I ride the trails with guys that have spent 4 to 5 times more on their bikes and have way more experience than I do, but I feel the 3700 disc allows me to keep up with them without a problem.

[Jul 08, 2011]
WallyWorld

Strength:

Durable, light weight, excellent entry level bike

2010 model does not come with disc brakes

I purchased this bike as an entry level bike and have used it for a good year. I have jumped it, crashed it, banked it off of trees, rocks, and just about everything else and it still rides like new. Even though this was the first mountain bike I purchased to use strictly as a trail bike, but I would would say it is probably the best value out there. The one and only weakness I have found is that the 2010 model does not come with disc brakes, which I think they added on the 2011 model.

[Jun 06, 2011]
AllisonWunderland

Strength:

Price, paint, design, components. We're not beating this bike to death on trails, jumps, potholes. Front fork seems adequate. I just want to soften up the gravel roads, bumps, grinds. I'm not jumping nor flying.

Shimano gears work for me. But I'm not being demanding.

I don't see any. It's an off road bike. I don't use it for jumps, dirt trails, nasty terrain.

I needed to update a 1988 Nishiki Colorado -- 18 speed, straight/solid front fork, hard-tail. Not sure the tire size, but the technology has come a long ways since 1988.

I own seven bikes, 3 road, 2 mtb, beach cruiser (Trek), and a spin bike (stationary).

I'm 63 yrs. old, have been riding/road racing since 1962. Off road riding is secondary, and I'm riding logging roads, single track trails, not anything "technical."

I own three Trek bikes. I've had good experiences with them. The Trek 3700 is not a high-end, hard-core dirk mauler. But it will get you out in the woods, with reliability, nice features, and some comfort. Suspension fork dampens the ride on rough roads and I find I'm much less stiff after riding this than after riding a the rigid frame Nishiki

1988 Nishiki Colorado

[Jun 03, 2011]
Datsrboi

Strength:

Very tough frame. I have gone over the handle bars on this bike going downhill and the bike stayed solid. Everything on the bike work after a hard day of abuse. Dependable bike reliable. Even though it is a lower end bike it seems a lot more solid than the higher end and newer model bikes. I feel confident when I take it out.

I consider this to be only a beginners bike. Although a solid bike it is a heavy bike compare to higher end bikes. The original fork was very poor and I eventually upgraded to a manitou 80mm fork. The stock tires slip all day and the the wheel tend to get out of tru very fast.

Great bike for a beginner. I do not recommend pouring a lot of aftermarket parts to it other than a higher end fork as you advance. My trek 3700 was an 08 model and to me the quality seems a lot higher than my newer 2010 model 4300 trek. I upgraded thinking higher model= better. Since than I have sold my trek 4300. Great bike to start off with and I was able to keep up with more advance riders on more expensive bike. The gearing is great and the bike is rock solid.

2010 Trek 4300