Trek 3 Series XC Hardtail

Trek 3 Series XC Hardtail

Hit the trails or own the streets on a bike that’s meant for you. Front suspension, knobby tires… the trail awaits.

• Frame: Alpha White Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, disc compatible dropouts
  • Front suspension: SR Suntour M-2025 w/coil spring, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula alloy FM21 front hub, FM31 rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/brushed sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano EF51, 7 speed
  • Brakeset: Tektro linear pull brakes w/Shimano EF51 levers

[May 12, 2014]
eicca

Strength:

Extremely confident handling, beautiful styling

Lower-quality component group, heavier

I rode one of these for a week when my custom 4300 was out of commission. I absolutely loved the way it handled. It was very tank-like, very planted and composed. I felt safe riding it. My biggest complaint was the drivetrain. The shifter triggers felt very cheap and I couldn't double-tap upshift as easily as I usually do. The rear derailleur felt flimsy. The cranks were shorter than I was used to which caused me some grief for a few days while my muscles adjusted. The brakes work well, but they scream like banshees when they get wet. The fork also felt a little mushy but turning up the preload helped with that. All in all, a great entry-level bike that looks extremely good.

[Aug 07, 2013]
Bud Bruner

Strength:

It is smooth, rolls out fast and has a sweet feel. I have pleasure-riding bikes for more than seventy years. I bought this bike in a flea market for a friend, but sorry Tom, it is now my off-road ride, replacing another high-end mark which shall remain unnamed. My Trek.

None observed.

Love this bike.

[Apr 27, 2013]
Awshucks

Strength:

Frame

Wheels
Rear Derailleur
Fork (no lock out)

I bought this bike as my first MTN bike ever. It lasted me about 4 rides before I broke the rear wheel half a mile into a trail ride. After that was replaced I did crash once and my rear derailleur hanger bent. I would suggest this bike to someone who is entry level mtn biking and doing easier, less-rocky trails, or even someone who is commuting. I got this bike for around $350 on sale and it was OK. I immediately got the MTN bike bug and got a better bike. However, I'm not done with the trek 3700. I know the frame has more to offer so I plan to ditch the crappy wheels, take off the crappy components and make it a SS.

[Nov 30, 2012]
Steven Loesch

Strength:

Basic parts seem to be good quality. Not a lot of dough for a quality, reliable ride.

Minor parts that come with this bike are cheap - not surprising given the low cost to begin with. Easily rectified over the first two or three months of ownership.

As the other review mentions, some parts could be better. After I upgraded the grips, pedals, and tires, I was pretty satisfied. The frame, rims, and drivetrain components aren't the best, but they are more than adequate for someone getting into the sport and who doesn't want to drop a grand or more on their first bike. Forks aren't bad, though obviously they are not the cream of the crop. I have owned this bike for five months, and for the first three I kept mainly to the street as I was not in shape to hit the trails. Now that I have built up my endurance, the trails are fun on this bike. I do not find myself wishing I had spent more money on a bettter bike, this one feels solid beneath me either rambling downhill or climbing. Of course, this bike is a bit on the heavy side, but anything less than $1k will be in this same weight category. Overall a good value to begin with.

Schwinn Sierra - 1993. Was obviously in much better shape then!

[Sep 08, 2012]
Michael

Strength:

Low price, RUGGED entry level bike. I have beaten this poor bike. I have been sent flying over the handlebars, and dumped this machine over logs. Absolutely nothing has failed. I asked for a good road and trail bike when I bought it, and that is exactly what I got. This bike has caused an addiction to trail riding.

Lack of Disc Brakes, and ground clearance. I also switched out the rear gears. The difference between 1 granny gear and 2 was just too far for me. This wasn't a problem at first. I was only looking for a bike to hit the trails with a few times a year, and ended up doing it a few times a week. Shifting was also a bit clunky if shifting under power on steep climbs, but I learned when to do it to make things go more smoothly. Time to upgrade. Bike is great, I am just ready for more.

I bought this bike in attempt to get my blood pressure lowered without medication, and completed this goal within two months. I originally was going to stay mostly on rail trails, so this was the best option the salesperson gave me. I ended up hitting more intermediate off road singletrack than roads, and put a hurtin on this bike. It has held up just fine. This bike is perfect for someone not too sure if they want to get out there into the singletrack trails. I did it by accident. It will get you there without draining your wallet, and will get you to the store as well.

[Sep 01, 2012]
Alex

Strength:

good buy for the price, sturdy construction, comfortable ride.

grips are a bit uncomfortable on longer rides, plastic pedals seem a bit on the cheap side, saddle becomes uncomfortable with longer rides

I took this bike out for a nice long ride over dirt trails, road and a few inclines, it did pretty good, comfortable ride however after a while my palms began to hurt from the grips I will definitely change them out soon. Bike rides pretty smooth, for longer rides I would recommend changing out the saddle it can become a bit uncomfortable and the pedals are another component that I will change. I like the feel of the gears they shift very well going up inclines and I will able to speed up the hills pretty good, overall this is a good bike for the price will be even better with a few minor upgrades.

[Mar 18, 2012]
Danny

Strength:

This bike is great. I was nervous at first. I have a family with two small boys and did not or could not spend $1000 bucks on a bike I new nothing about. I did my homework online and hit some local shops. I was not having any luck until I went to Great Escape. I am pretty heavy was 230lbs when I got the bike and wanted to get back in shape . The trek 3500 is great I have lost 15lbs and I am now starting to hit some pretty big trails . I love this bike it has really change everything about me. If u are trying to get back in shap adn want a bike that will hold your eight this is the one and it want break your bank!!! Highly recomended !!!!!

This is a great bike will take a beaten and will handle the big trails too for 419 u can not go wrong great bike I love mine !!!!

[Feb 16, 2012]
ggil

Strength:

Durable, light weight, gears shift smoothly, disc brakes are awesome, good stock components, great bike for the price point.

The front shock cannot be locked. It has an adjuster, but unless you turn it to its firmest setting you will feel the bike bounce when you climb.

This is a great buy! Very good stock components. I am new to the sport and wanted to get a good beginner to intermediate bike that I could grow into without overspending. So far, I have been impressed with the overall quality of the bike. The components are great. The disc brakes work great, gears shift smoothly, it climbs well, and can be used on the road as well as the trails. I use the bike primarily for mountain biking, but I also strap on a baby seat and take my 2 year old daughter with me on rides.

I ride the trails with guys that have spent 4 to 5 times more on their bikes and have way more experience than I do, but I feel the 3700 disc allows me to keep up with them without a problem.

[Oct 05, 2010]
Paul

Strength:

Well built and stiff with a good suspension up front. Handles just fine and the fit is perfect for the average riders build. price is unbeatable at 395 list.

Lack of fenders.

Hard to beat this bike for the value. Rides and handles as good as any of the bike I own and many of them are 10 times the price. All in all a great purchse for any rider but especially for the casual around town person.

trek 7500, 7.5FX.

[Sep 07, 2009]
Caleb Jacoby

Strength:

Durable, sleek, easy brakes, nice handlebars

Shifting is SLIGHTLY rough

An awesome light-trails mountain hardtail bicycle for teens and up