Titus Hard Core Racer XC Hardtail

Titus Hard Core Racer XC Hardtail

This bike is the titanium mainstay of Titus' mountain bike line. It is optimized by tube diameter to provide a stiff and compliant ride unlike any other ti bike on the market. Responsive and stable, the HCR is a cross-country racers dream. Disc mounts are standard, but of course you can run cantilevers if you'd like. Even if you don't race, the ride of a Titus Titanium hardtail cannot be denied. Hop on one and live the dream!

[May 14, 2007]
Dennis

Strength:

Rear Dropouts can be swapped between single speed and geared. Frame is very precise- point and shoot. Compliant in the rough, and stiff for the grinding climbs- nice balance.

Price but it is a ti frame- what do you expect?

Review is for a 2007 Titus Eleven.

I ride what I would call Cross Country- and the trails range from very smooth flowing singletrack to down-right knarly, rock/root infested “marches-of-death.” Typically my rides are limited to 90 minute sessions (family commitments limit the all-day epics to nearly nill) and are done with all the essentials in water bottles and a seatpack.

Okay, onto the bike. The frame I chose was a Small 100mm Eleven. The frame it replaced was a dedicated SS SPOT and although the two frames have slightly different geometry measurements the Eleven fit a bit better (longer top tube, etc…).

The build is pretty straightforward- components were chosen not for weight savings, but dependability; everything besides the seat post slid directly over from the SPOT. The Fork is a Fox Vanilla running at 100mm, the brakes are Avid Mechanicals, the drive train is White Industries (cranks, free wheel and hubs), the BB is Phil Wood and the seat post/stem are both Thomson.

Ride Impressions.

The bike is faaaaaast. I never thought a frame could contribute so much to a great wheelset (the WI hubs are ridiculous). I find myself getting into corners a bit too hot and it surprises me. I have noticed with this frame that I need to revert to my pedal ratcheting skills to get through some taller rock gardens. I attribute this to two factors- one, the frame is fast and I am getting into the thick of it a second faster than I had on my previous frame and two, my older frame was designed with a 63mm-80mm fork in mind and by running the Vanilla at 100mm I am sure it raised the BB a bit. I mention this simply because it is something I have noticed during the first few rides but seems to be tapering off steadily as I readjust my timing accordingly.

The biggest question I had prior to throwing a leg over the frame was the ride quality; more than one review/reviewer has commented on the stiffness of the frame. Keep in mind I am a heavier rider and tip the scales closer to the upper weight limit of the frame more than most would. With that being said, I don’t see much of a difference between my older SPOT frame and the Eleven in the fast and furious rooty and baby-head sections. The frame rides like a high performing hardtail should- it is not a softtail and it is definitely not a dual suspension. I do feel the stiffness of the frame in a few places that stand out from the SPOT such as- quick climbs when I am really, really cranking down on the pedals and really tough rock gardens where I need to track stand to reassess my line and need the bike to respond ASAP to my body English- frame just seems to spring/surge forward.

One nit-pick, “out-of-the-box” chain tugs may not fit the SS dropouts of the Eleven unless you take 5-10 minutes to “dremmel” them into a working solution. Sounds like a big deal- it’s not and shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

So, why did I buy the Eleven?

What caught my eye first was the dropouts- I always wanted a frame that could run cleanly as both a SS and a geared bike. Other aspects of the frame just fell into place, like a longer top tube, geometry for a 100mm fork, etc… The price tag is steep for a hardtail but I had the dough and I found it to be a reasonable price for everything that I wanted (also I had all the components on hand from the SPOT).

Finally, I am completely satisfied with the bike and would buy it again if given the choice.

SPOT SS

OVERALL
[Nov 07, 2004]
mar

Strength:

handmade ti....

none that i've seen.

HOT HOT HOT!
super light, great fit for little ladies (i got the xxs hcr: it's better to go smaller and fit stem and seatpost than be over-reaching on a too large frame).
get one titus instead of the three crappy bikes you'd break over the next five years.
bonus! brushed ti finish=no paint to chip and scratch

nothing like it...