Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc XC Hardtail

Stumpjumper Comp Disc

teddwoody   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2010]
Strength:

29ers ROCK! SRAM shifters work well(USED to be a shimano guy, not any more. Love the Avid discs. May upgrade to XO's all around just for better shifting performance until XX come down in price.

DT 420SL wheels are a bit heavy and not so strong. Busted front wheel on the 2nd ride and I am the (really) slow, old, fat guy in the group. RnR helped with the bite on that.

Great bike, I dont miss the rear suspension very often and don't miss the weight ever. Wish they had a carbon frame in a 15.5 when I bought mine. Whats that? They have a 15.5 carbon frame now, you say. Guess I will upgrade the frame now, woo hoo!

Similar Products Used: FSR XC Comp 26er, K2 Attack FSR, Specialized Hardrock.
capriol   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

Light frame , good components for the price paid , and size

saddle and specialized tires stock

very good for climb and descent in cross-country trails
responsive and aggressive racer gun .

I'm height 1.90 meters and 91 kilos weight I want a 21 inch
framesize is perfect for the cross-country rides.
Not good for jump and other freeride situation , they don't
be my kind of mountain biking

Similar Products Used: santa cruz chameleon first edition , lee cougan revenge
TAWhit   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2009]
Strength:

Great frame, specced out pretty well. Fast and climbs very well.

None yet, still on the fence with the Shimano 542 crank. Crank seems a little heavy.

I am thrilled with this bike so far, really fast and a joy to ride, the shock is great as well. (Fox Float F90 RL).I wanted a hardtail with good components, I'm glad I went with the Specialized.

Similar Products Used: Tested 4 other bikes, the Stumpy was the best for my money.
Malamute   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2009]
Strength:

Fox F90-RL fork, XO rear derailleur, and comes with a good saddle aswell

LX front derailleur, crank brothers pedals(they broke on the 2nd run), tires (they loose traction on every terain)

The first ride on the bike it amazed me by its climbing abilities, rocky or dusty even muddy terain or trees whatever it climbs nicly over it, and the more u get used to the bike the better it climbs, tho u will have to change the tires asap because they are really worthless in every way.
On the flats the bike is really stable and the faster u ride the more controlable it will become, also very nice in maintaining speed on false flat sections and withoud noticing u will even accelerate even more on the false flats.
Going downhill thats where the bike dissapoints me, its controlable, but when u go to fast downhill the bike will go its own way and become very hard to trow around corners.
It also gets rather bumpy the faster u go wich makes braking tricky at some points. That being said my driving style is quite agressive tho, maybe the unstalbe handling might become better with wider wheels. But then again its a XC bike and not an all mountain bike.
the braking part is also nicly secured as the bike came with avid juicy ultimate brakes, the only downpart aboud these is when u have to bleed them, its just a pain in the ass.

overall i would say its a very good bike, just downhill it tends to choose its own way.
it comes nicly equipped with good parts just the tires are rubbish
The ppl who should buy it are the ppl who like to go hard and like to enjoy all aboud Xc riding at an affordable price, the ppl who like to ride very agressive (like me) should go for another bike because the descending is not what its supposed to be and imo also not to stable when jumping
it gets 4chillies on value because the tires and pedals and 4 on overall for the descending part

Similar Products Used: Giant XTC, Cube LTD

sirtwist   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2009]
Strength:

Great Graphics and Design
Supple rear end
Lightweight (3lbs I believe)
Well designed cable routing (ie, not under the down tube)
Short head tube for proper head down racing
Great geometry for both racing and general xc riding

None that I've come across yet

Fantastic frame. Such a shame Spesh don't sell this seperately. But the packages they sell are well spec'd for the money.

I love the way that it's comfortable (both geometry and the supple rear end) and also very very very direct power delivery. Everybody who's ridden my bike is astounded at it's acceleration. You turn the pedal, all the power shoots to the rear wheel, no chainstay flex, nothing.

I've not had a single moment when I've thought, "This bloody frame" like I've had with other frames - it's been a delight since day one. I'll own it till I break it, I'm sure!

Why go carbon when this alu frame is so much nicer, and longer lasting.

Similar Products Used: Kona Fire Mountain, Cube Reaction K18, Specialized Hardrock
Mike McCarthy   [Jul 09, 2007]
Strength:

Excelent climbing ability. This thing can go up anything. The stock weight is 24 lbs.!!!!!! It's great. The tyres roll great as long as the trail is dry.

If you plan on doing anything rock or techinal, this is not for you, unless you want to invest in a truing stand. The rims are not the best ever to say the least. As soon as the trail gets wet at all, the tyres begin to give out on you.

This bike is great for the fireroad riding at Lake Chabot, or anything that's not very rocky. I took it up to Annadale for some real hard riding and i thought that my wrists were going to fall off. This bike is amazingly light, and it climbs like a beast.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Epic, Hardrock, Cannondale Rush7
ash   Racer [Apr 30, 2007]
Strength:

The frame is super nimble. I built this bike to race, and am happy I did. Also, speacailized does a great job of getting there geomatry right. Frame is great!

The rear end is a little to much spindally, wich it could be a little more stiff.
If you are going for specifics you are going to have to make some huge changes. For example, I wanted a xc racing hardtail. I had to swap most of the stock parts for higher end parts.

This is a great bike that has a ton of potential. Whith this frame I was able to get it down to 24 pounds and plan on shaving even more weigh.

Similar Products Used: Trek hardtails, rocky mountain instinct.
Brendan   Racer [Apr 25, 2007]
Strength:

Its fast, really fast. Love the SRAM shifters and rear derailer. stiff frame and shocks. Fox shocks rocks!

I feel like it could be a little lighter. the tires suck on wet trails and steep hills. suggestion, go tubless unless you ride in hot dry climate. i prefer hayse breaks over juicy 5, but thats just me.

no doubt, this is one of the fastest aluminum bikes you can buy, but it takes a beating on your wallet. dont buy this bike for crazy freeriding, this is a cc racing machine.

Similar Products Used: Big Sur by gary fisher
Greg Thompson   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2004]
Strength:

Climbs Like a Mountain Goat , Fox Fork (Float 80 RL)is incredibly plush. Shimano Hydraulic Disk brakes are fantastic.This bike is fast!

Came with Mavic X317 Rims and not X223's as specified on the website. Rims are way out of true after 2nd Ride.Roll X Pro Tires grip well butare very thin (Low Puncture resistance)

This is a fantastic bike with great component selection that will suit an aspiring XC racer. Might be a little too light/flimsy as a trail bike but this is not it's intended use.

Similar Products Used: KHS Alite 1000 1999 Model with upgrades Sun Rhyno Lite Rims,
RST XMO O2 Fork and Shimano XT shifting gear.
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2006]
Strength:

Great handling, light, a powerful climber and flexible. The Stumpjumper is a great overall mountain bike for beginners (like me) and experts alike (which will probably want to change some components). Its agility can forgive some of your mistakes during your first runs with it. As soon as you get the hang of its nervous handling you will find yourself surprised that a few days before you passed the same obstacle with difficulty. The Fox suspension works marvel over any surface and smoothes out rough rides. Descents takes advantage of the fork by maintaining control at all times, which surprised me the first time until I decided to let go and found the bike responding with precision.

I don't know if my bike was done on a monday morning or a friday evening but I had all kind of problems with it that are attributed to its manufacturing. The first thing that happened, after a month or two of soft riding, is that the chain opened up while I was accelerating, bringing the expensive (I discovered that day) rear XTR derailleur meet its forward couterpart. This scratched the rear Mavic rim but didn't wave it. After brief bargaining it was agreed thatSpecialized would pay for half the bill. The second problem, 15 months after the bike's purchase, was the bolt that holds the seatpost broke while I was riding on a straigth and level road. The saddle wedged itself between the frame and wheel, waving the rim so much it contacted the frame and prohibited me from turning it completely. After finding the bolt and examining it I discovered it had sheared from fatigue. Specialized refused to pay for it, stating they didn't know what I had done with the bike (and the fact that the 1 year warranty had worn out), but the store didn't charge for the time it spent repairing it (which saved me a couple of dollars). The only other problem is the brake system (mine came with the Shimano M-555) that sticks and whines, but after a while they break in (around .

Awesome! A single word to describe an agressive and agile XC bike. I'm 6', 200 lbs and I ride an 18" frame. The small frame enables a quick response from the bike but doing it all over, I'd go for the 19" frame instead.
My next bike is surely going to be a Specialized.
Specialized may need to work on the quality of some of the minor components complementing the bike.