Specialized S-Works M5 XC Hardtail

timwalden5   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2008]
Strength:

light, stiff, very nimble handling, climbs really well, good looking bike

not the lightest out there (3.25lbs for 18" frame), paint chips easily

Good, solid ride. Not built so light I'd be afraid to jump it, ride is pleasant despite being such a stiff platform. I've raced it a couple times and it is my first choice for sprint laps.

Similar Products Used: old Mongoose ('95) chromoly HT, Nashbar 853 HT
Marcel   [Feb 03, 2007]
Strength:

Uphill, descend, stiff

Paint chips easily, weight

Ultimate racingbike in geometrie, needs to loose some weight

Similar Products Used: Ghost, Gary Fisher, Focus
Shawn   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2006]
Strength:

Everything. Mine isnt completely stock but stock is still pretty much bomb proof. Power is a direct transfer, you even flinch like you want to go and it takes off. Dual air lock out fork is awesone too. Lots of folks really love the FOX forks (me included) but I have to say I really love this one. On the go compression adjustment is so cool for me because I have some trails that get really hairy and then totally flat and then hairy again. Rock Shox has been around forever, they know how to build a fork.

None. Its an s-works people, enough said.

Get one. You will want to make a spot next to you in bed for it at night, i am considering asking my girlfriend to sleep on the couch.

Similar Products Used: 04 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp disc - 02 Gary Fisher Sugar 2
biron keefer   Racer [Apr 10, 2004]
Strength:

fantastic hardtail, super smoothe,30 years of building mountainbikes has paid off

a killer hardtail way more reponsive than my epic. yeah it beats you up a bit , but with stans tubeless wheels run at low pressure it works great. if your gonna go fast ride a hardtail...

Similar Products Used: trek 9.8
Jose Miguel Vazquez Casillas   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2006]
Strength:

Armonia total en su geometría, rigidez torsional extraordinaria, super ligera, alta maniobrabilidad.

Ninguna

Una maravilla tecnológica, es super ligera sin los inconvenientes de las bicicletas hechas de carbon. Proporciona una alta maniobrabilidad, extraordinaria para aquellos que disfrutan de los ascensos prolongados ya que no se desaprovecha en ningún momento el esfuerzo que se transmite al eje pedalier, los cambios duales proporcionan rapidez y presición en cada una de las marchas lo que es indispensable al momento de la competición, los frenos V-Brake ligeros y poderosos proporcionan la seguridad que se requiere en el XC Country, dinámica en su bajada sin problemas en pendientes de hasta 60%. Una bicicleta de sueño para todos los amantes del XC Country.

Similar Products Used: GT avalanche 1.0
Tele Tom   Racer [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

SUH-WEEEEET!!! Man, this thing does everything extremely well. Highly recommend, I highly recomment any hard tail if you're racing and need instant "throttle response." The industry keeps pushing full suspension, which serve their place, but hard tails offer so much more. This bike climbs like one of Lance's boys, it descends with confidence and sprints like Super Mario!! It's really an amazing ride. I can't get over the climbing ability, out of the saddle at any moment and it's solid, try that with a FS and you'll quickly be sitting back down as people ride away from you.

I'd say the paint job needs some additional love. It seems to chip, flake in the vulnerable areas, I guess to be expected, but then again after dropping $3,000 bones, maybe not. I can't complain about component choice, just sway out what you don't like, it's personal preferance anyway.

In this price range, you have a few quality choices. I never saw myself as a Specialized kind of dude, but after a test ride I was sold. I always went with the more "boutique" type builders but I see the upside to semi-mass produced bikes. It's truly a sweet, competent ride a few tweaks on the components and you're golden. Give it a shot before looking at the Litespeeds, Kleins, Ellsworths.
Peace, Tom

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain, Klein, Trek high-end hardtails and full suspension.
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2004]
Strength:

Best hardtail I've ever ridden, awesome looks (i have the anodized silver frame), very rigid but yet not too rough at all, perfect geometry

NONE BEST BIKE EVER

This bike is awesome. This is the best hardtail I have ever ridden. Perfect handling, awesome looks, and incredibly light weight (22 lbs!!!). I am a cross country racer and this bike is the ultimate cross country racing bike with the sid world cup and its ultra lightweight. The XTR works flawlessly. This bike is very expensive but is in the same league of hardtails as other much more expensive ones. This is an awesome bike

Similar Products Used: Specialized stumpjumper pro HT, Tomac Taos, Trek 9.8
scott   Racer [Aug 13, 2005]
Strength:

Light, strong, fast. Styling.

The bike rips. I've got over 600 miles on it and 10 races within the past 4 months. It climbs amazingly well, its an XL-21" and I've got it at 21.7 lbs (with the suspension post). Its been deadly reliable and I can ride it all day. I don't believe I'll ever go back to FS.

Dominick Delfino   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2005]
Strength:

Lightweight package tipped in at 22.8 lbs with pedals.. superb componentry especially xtr and fox shock.. super fast climbing and shifting.

Anodized finish is nice however the stickers on the top bar partially rubbed off on my second ride not a huge deal but aggrevating considering the price...

Super fast bike with the best componentry you can buy.. Not alot of $$$ if you consider whats on this bike XTR drivtrain, XTR shifters and brakes, Mavic rims etcc.. The fox f80x with intertia valve dampening is one of the nicest forks you can buy no playing with it just set it once and your on your way... I highly recommend this bike to anyone serious about getting in the woods and riding.. For a hardtail it is a great ride and likely faster, lighter and cheaper than anything comparable in a full suspension