Specialized S-Works HT Carbon XC Hardtail

• Headset: 1 1/8" Threadless, Integrated Alloy Cups, Sealed Cartridge Bearing
  • Seat Post: Specialized Carbon

[Dec 10, 2008]
rekrej

Strength:

Perfekt carbon layup, stiff but still confortable. Climbs like a mountain goat, quality,

if I have to say anything it would be about the weight.

This is a great bike. I love the way its handling on the trail. It climbs like nothing else and its both stiff and comfortable.
This is actually my racebike for 09 seasson and Im realy looking forward to see how it stands against the other bikes in the lineup.

Alu version, Trek, Look, Sunn, Focus

[Aug 27, 2008]
ThrottleJock

Strength:

Light, stiff, light, stiff.

Very race-oriented, no compromise made for comfort, maybe too light.

20.8lbs angry XC race machine. Could be in the 19lbs range pretty easy with Crossmax SLR's or Cobalt wheels, but for cripes sakes this thing's light enough. There's no need for low gearing or a granny ring because this bike is all about going fast. It sucks as a trail bike but absolutely rips in race mode. Rough, technical trails are no fun as the ridiculously stiff frame beats you into pulp and the sharp scary rocks always seem like they're reaching out to threaten punching a hole in your frame. Get this thing on a nice, groomed, flowy race course though and it absolutely RIPS. Downhills and airtime are a little sketch due to the stupid light weight, and it's necessary to load the front end through turns due again to the light weight, and sit somewhat back over the rear to keep traction on climbs because power transfer is so direct and immediate that it's easy to light up the tire under power. I'm a point & shoot force/power rider and this is really a finesse bike, so I'm learning to adjust my riding style a bit... but man is it fun.

Kestrel CSX, Trek OCLV's, various Cannondales, Yeti ARC.

[Aug 01, 2008]
Rick Dawson

Strength:

super light and stiff frame. Great to have a frame that makes you fit the best you can.

Need to look after it like a new born baby....

Have done a few short rides mixed road and off road and a long 100 mile ride - trail from Ilfracombe to Plymouth. Really loving the ride, have discovered the pleasures for climb hills and sprinting. Still getting use to the light tail on single track down hills - feels skitty at times which is unnerving, maybe i could use the words lively and exciting....
Have a Kona Full Suspension which now feels like riding a sofa compared to the specialized but thats not say the specialized is not comfortable just a completely different ride.
FAB....may look at the S-Work FRS next....

[Sep 05, 2007]
Guy

Strength:

Light, Stiff, Clean simple understated looks.

The rider

I havent gone for the lightest kit, just kit I know works and works well and with this frame the ride is superb. I feel like it is a chuckable, confident though a bit twitchy on the rock but that is due to the weight (21.9lbs)you do get used to it pretty quickly. I have never been able to accelerate so quickly as I have on this bike and climbing, as much as it can be, is a breeze. Oh I ride a 17 inch and am 5.8 and the geometry is fantastic.
I dont race so in the heat of battle I dont know how this compares to other top of the line rigs but it is a pure grin factor bike for me. I am not soft on my bikes and they do tend to get abused (probably my tendency to stop myself with my head), this Carbon S works has taken a fair few knocks already but is holding up like a trooper.The price was pretty good for me but it is on the high side but I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for and this has delivered. If you are bike lover who loves the challenge of a hardtail and or race, buy it, I have not looked back.

Specilazed Stumpy 07 HT and 07 FSR comp

[Jun 17, 2007]
Dave Harvey

Strength:

Fast, comfortable, excellent geometry, sloping top tube (extra clearence), well built, ultra light!

A little expensive, but it is lovely.

Its a fantastic frame, which is well worth every penny. It looks horny..every one looks at!! If you can afford 1200 quid for a top class XC frame get one, you won't be disappointed. I think my complete setup is about 19lbs!

Trek 8000, Trek OCLV

[Dec 31, 2006]
Patrick Case

Strength:

Good finish, no ugly V brake bosses. Geometry spot on for first class handling.Specialized warranty.

Could do with a quick release seatpost clamp.

This bike rides like a dream. Far better in terms of comfort and handling than the Giant XTC Composite I just got rid of. Gives me the help I need on the hills in this part of the world. Expensive frame but worth the cash if you can. Don't think you could get a better hardtail. Keep things light and simple. Go and see Bob down at Braking Wind and get fixed up.

Cannondale F1000SL, Epic, Stumpjumper HT, Giant XTC Composite.

[Nov 11, 2006]
Jim Turner

Strength:

Solid carbon construction, extreme racing geometry and very light (1445 gr WITH headset AND seat collar clamp).

Paint scheme could be better. Not much else bad to say.

The new geometry has taken some getting used to since the bike I came from was a 10 yr old Klein Adroit. The carbon frame sucks up much of the trail bumps and for those that don't want to give up a stiff light weight climber for a full suspension rig, this is a perfect match. I climb faster than my old bike and descend MUCH faster since I can absorb much of the major shock. I can ride much longer without as much fatigue. Extreme top tube angle make the turn radius faster so cornering and twisting between trees is effortless. If you're in Frisco, TX, stop by Richardson Bike Mart and have Ted and Rodney set you up! GREAT deal.

Klein Adroit Pro, Trek 9.9, S-works Epic

[Nov 09, 2006]
berlin-grunewald.com

Strength:

somehow light, cool look, great riding

seat tube totally sucks: in the area of the front derailleur it is not round - this means you can´t really fix the front derailleur or if you tighten the clamp of the front derailleur in order to keep it where it should be - the frame may crack - as mine did

don´t buy this frame. specialized seems not tknow what they get from taiwan...

M 4

[Nov 08, 2006]
Luis Abrantes

Strength:

Frame quality and performance, very good equipment mostly the Fox F90X and the Crossmax SL Wheels. The bike is also beautiful.

I'm not a big fan of dual-control-shifters. If I had bought the frame and chose all the components I would have gone with rapid-fire. The XTR disc brakes aren't very powerful, at least when compared to Avid Juicys.

I love this bike. It handles incredibly well, climbs and rolls fast. At first it can feel a little unstable in descents because of its low weight, but you'll get used to it and when you notice you'll be descending faster than you used to. The Fox fork is excelent, very stiff and sensible allowing you keep the desired trajectory. XTR drivetrain (thank god without inverted spring RD) works flawlessly. Brakes as I said before, could have more power, but for XC it's OK.
I´m surprised with the level of confort of this bike. I used to hear people say that carbon frames with racing geometry were very unconfortable but I can tell you otherwise. I did a 100km marathon race in it and believe me I wasn't that tired. Of course You can´t compare it with full suspension bikes, but for a hardtail it´s pretty good.
Even when it comes to price, I bought mine for €4.500. If you think a TREK 9.9 was almost €1.000 more I think it was a good deal.
Bottom line, if you love racing hardtail bikes, love the big climbs and have the budget, go for it. It's worth every penny.

Never had a bike with this level of equipment or a carbon frame. I had a 2001 TREK 8500 before this one (still have it), wich is also a very good bike and have ridden many bikes in the range of my old TREK, but nothing in the same class of the S-Works Carbon HT

[Nov 25, 2006]
MAXIMO GARCIA

Strength:

the power thasmission is perfect, the carbon frame absorb a lot the vibration in the road

none at the moment

i dont kwon if is because im emoocinated because new bike but i climb better and i felt the bike superior in all condition, im improve my times i just feel this bike as a ferrari, is not chap bike but the setep is total full competition a top of the line, if you want it a bice for serios racer xc this is the bike, and the look ia amazing, you will get wat you pay..

santa cruz blur blur full xtr