Specialized Hardrock XC Hardtail

The Hardrock earned its reputation as The Go-To Bike for anything from urban assaults, daily commutes, weekend off-road pursuits.

• Fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum frame with double ORE down tube for a lighter, more compliant and durable bike, with disc mounts for upgrading
  • 80mm-travel fork with preload adjustment and size-specific spring rates means the suspension is dialed for your size
  • Light and durable double-walled alloy rims are tough enough to handle the rough stuff
  • Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport 60tpi tires use a reduced knob height for lower rolling resistance, but have plenty of grip for confidence on the trail SRAM 7-speed, 12/32t cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability
  • Specialized XC saddle has front/rear bumpers for on and off-road durability and ample padding for comfort

kingdomtrails13   [Aug 27, 2013]
Strength:

frame, seat , wheelset , weight , cranks

rear and frount derailer, fork , stock tires

I have the most upgraded 2013 HR on the planet , bought this 2013 green hardrock in sept 2012 after 20 years of being out of mtn biking. Wanted something inexpensive with a good brand name. Got it for 420 at a LBS , nothing fancy it has v brakes etc. Since then Ive really put this bike to the test. This bike has been to Kingdom trails / the Burke bike Park in VT and survived it twice, Ive put about 200 +miles on this ,about 80% out on the trails . Ive done DH and XC on this and all held up.The frame is light and has a really cool kawasaki green paint job. However, the stock components suck, I tore off the no name handle bars and stem and replaced with a easton monkybar and thomsen stem. replaced both of the derailers with deore xt in frount and alivo in rear with a new chain. going to add an easton seat post and deore xt V brakes,added Maxis Larsen LT tires , just down to the wheelset , cranks/bb and fork , might go up to 8 speed, can get all inexpensive parts online, but the bike is a great platform if you want to tinker around and get an idea as a beginner what parts work etc. I like this bike but regret not buying a hardrock sport disk .

shlomo weiss   [Jul 22, 2013]
Strength:

so far so good......it rides smoothly....haven't had to replace any parts....only tires and brake pads

does anyone know if it's best to trade in a bike like this for a new one....say once every 2 years?

nothing to add

David   [Jun 23, 2013]
Strength:

Good frame. Goes where you want it on smoother surfaces (ie. road and light-off road). Does the job on longer rides (30-40 miles on mainly road). Easy to clean.

Shocks are entry level and not meant for anything beyond some roots and deviations. Altus rear derailleur (bought my bike in 2012) needs consistent cleaning and adjusting (some ghost shifting). The front derailleur requires negotiation and understanding (if there's any load, be careful, and when shifting, pedal one revolution slowly before continuing on or it will jam. *Brakes are okay for non-hydraulic disc, but give youself enough time to stop (and they squeak, and sometimes vibrate).

Overall, if you're looking for an entry level bike that you can push some, so long as you know what you're doing, it's good. When gear shifting, you have to keep your mind on what you're doing, and when braking, being aware of your distances., The shocks are good for light stuff, but wouldn't try them on hard trails at fast speeds. I bought it for riding (80% road with some bad roads and 20% off) on 10 - 40 miles. It's been good, so long as I have it tuned when necessary. Must keep the drive train extra clean or problems will creep up.

Andy Clarkson   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2012]
Strength:

Very good specification for the money, a safe bet from one of the largest manufacturers and looks really good too. Worth upgrading parts in the future and in standard form a good bike for long rides, the saddle is surprisingly comfy and on my 26 inch version standard tyres are great for road and commuting. I am glad I went for bike with hydraulic disc brakes as the overall feel of the bike is one of quality and gives you great confidence. So much better than the rigid bike I had before which was a comparable price when new 12 years ago.

As with every thing you get what you pay for and the only compromise on this bike is the forks but they are fine for road and light trails, Standard tyres can be prone to punctures from thorns when used off road.

I have had this bike for about four months, mine is a 2012 Hardrock Sport Disc Int. and I am very pleased with it, I have used it on some really rough trails and muddy tracks with the only thing I have needed to change being the tyres which were not really up to handling thick gloopy mud. This bike is now being ridden on much rougher tracks than I originally planned and I would like to upgrade the forks on the Hardrock to something a bit better. I am now using Halfords own brand Bike Hut Kevlar aggressive tread tyres but these do have increased drag on the road. I have also changed to SPD pedals which work really well.

Adam   All Mountain Rider [Nov 21, 2012]
Strength:

I bought this bike around 3 months ago, since then I've taken It out to the local highland and down some trails, first off the weight is superb, very light. The forks are good and well balanced, the seat is very comfortable, for the price of 400 this is a good deal

But this bike is not the best, the disc brakes suck, the gears around 7 and 6 jump and the chain jams more than it should, the tires arnt very good and the grips need to be replaced as they jig around and slide. Apart from those it's good for the money considering these are problems you can work around I.e replacing disc rotors (cheap) grips, tires ect

All in all not a bad bike awesome frame nice forks good seat just needs a bit of work. This bike will be perfect for beginners for trails and mountain or even XC.

Jesse845   All Mountain Rider [Nov 16, 2012]
Strength:

Solid frame, easlily upgraded

fork, crankset, shifters, brakes

I have a hardrock that I upgraded. I basically replaced everything but the frame over the past 2 years. The frame is solid. I put Deore 9 speede shifters on it, with an SLX rear D, XT front D, LX crank, deore hydraulic brakes and a fox fork. I love it now. Had I known better at the time, I would have just bought a $500 frame, and built up from there. Overall, a fine bike for a kid or commuter without upgrading. The frame takes abuse, and is worth holding onto. My buddy bought a HR frame on ebay, and bult a single speed bike from it.

stuart   All Mountain Rider [Nov 13, 2012]
Strength:

(2011 model) light frame with good geometry, comfy saddle, gears work well

BLOODY FORKS!!!!! tyres, brakes, brake levers

i bought the 2011 model for £370 as a beginners mountain bike, and i rode my local trails quite hard and rode it through 3 of the 7 stanes in Scotland on the original spec, (with the awful fork locked out) and i have to say the deraileurs (shimano alivio) are still working perfectly, the brakes (avid bb5s)are a bit weak and fade on long down hill sections and the back brake did seize after the scottish trip, the levers,...lets just say they get bloody cold and stiff on a frosty morning in the highlands, but i rode some pretty rough stuff on that spec and i didnt even get a puncture.

since then ive upgraded the forks to 120mm suntour epicons (which are fabulous,) they also have a 15 thru axle which has made the bike feel a lot tougher, ive also added some continental rubber queen tyres for extra grip and the bike is great, ive rode tonnes more trails since all over wales including penmachno which is a bike breaker as far as XC goes.

if you buy this bike to do some serious riding it will take it, but you will need to upgrade it at some point because the stock parts although they function well (APART FROM THAT BLOODY STUPID FORK) they arent the best, or maybe i got a good one!!!

Similar Products Used: boardman hard tail
Kelly   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2012]
Strength:

Price, weight, nice ride!

Wheels, crank, shifters!

I love this bike, been riding it for 4 years and other than replacing the crank(because I wore it out by putting 2200 km on it in the first year), and upgrading the wheels to double walled from the sinle walled wheels that came on the bike. I also replaced the grip shifters with rapid fire for personal preference only! My riding style makes the hardtail perfect, very comfortable. Great bike for commuting to work and riding the trails. Put on a set of slicks that are good on trails as wel ad road and you'll love this bike!

jgmu97   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2012]
Strength:

Great frame Good geometry Feels light Smooth drive train Powerful hydraulic disk brakes Looks great

Forks Chain set Pedals Front deralierre

Bought the 2012 Hardrock Sport Disk last year. Its been great , nearly got 900 miles on it and I've hardly been out on it. Looks amazing in the ' white , red , black ' colour way and feels great on and off road. The drive train is smooth and shifts well , however the front deralierre is pretty poor and so is the chain rings , BB and cranks. Also , the forks are good with the lock out option , but are limited in the way of adjust ability and are not very good and handling the bumps. Wheels are strong and have good bearings , still tru to this day and the tires are resemble at keeping you on the trail.

Use my bike for mostly XC or Road use. Upgraded the saddle to a Specialized BG Henge SL and i am currently upgrading the forks to : Rockshox XC32TK w/ Poploc and the crankset to a Shimano Deore M590 and the pedals to some Wellgo V8 copies. Am also putting new grips on as the old ones have worn down.

Overall , the bike is great . Perfect for beginners like me and can handle everything I've chucked at it. Worth every penny in my opinion. Defiantly my best toy .

Would reccomend to anyone looking for a good all round bike.

5/5

Gypsymage   [Sep 13, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive, disk brakes, good entry-level derailer, solid feel.

gummy handgrips

This is for the 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc XC. This is my first real mountainbike in almost 20 years and my first time actually using a MTB as it should be. I have had it two days, and very impressed for an entry level bike. It shifts great, brakes great (disk breaks are awesome!) Comfortable to ride and easy to handle. I will most likely only do casual singletrail riding, so I do not expect to wear out the forks anytime soon, they seem to handle quite well for a casual rating. I tend to think that upgrading this bike will be more for "want" purposes than "need". Better handgrips are the first on my list, and since the derailer (Altus) ranks low on the recommended chart, at least it is on the chart unlike Trek's entry level bikes. It works very well for now and an inexpensive upgrade whenever I start having trouble with it. Overall, an excellent bike for the money, I would highly recommend it for any entry level rider, or if you are on a budget and willing to upgrade later. Trust me, get disk brakes at the start to keep upgrade costs down.