Slingshot Ripper XC Hardtail

• Full 7005 Aluminum Frame
  • SPT - Sling Power Technology
  • Custom boom tube, seat tube, board/box
  • Canti and disc brake tabs

LF-X   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs good/Very efficient ride
High Quality Finish
Comfortable to Ride

E-Type FD makes chainring configuration predetermined
Very long steerer tube on the 20" frame

Bought frame as a replacement for my carbon softail. Was sceptical about the concept but couldn't find bad reviews that confirmed my sceptical thoughts.

The frame arrived quite fast and in perfect condition. The finish of the frame shows superb manufacturing.

Build up was easy as there are not that much fancy component standards used. Standard A-Head headset, 68mm BB. Only thing I disliked was the E-Type FD, that required me to change my chainrings from 26-26-48 to 22-32-44 as shifting otherwise was not as good as with standard FDs (tried with 26-36-44 first, but that didn't work).

The Headtube is very long on my 20" Frame. Had to replace the fork I was planning to use. Now using a Recon Race (100mm) with an uncut steerer.

First ride was an awesome experience after minor glitches in the drivetrain were sorted out. The frame is way stiffer then you would expect with the missing downtube. First had the feeling that the front suffered from sideflex. It trned out, that that was coming from my lighweight stem (F99).
Replaced it with an superforce stem. Now the bike really feels perfect.

The Slingpower effect make the drivetrain feel different then you might be used. The flex that the coil and springboard allow the frame to do flattens power spikes very noticable. The overall power output of the bike is more even and feels very very efficent. I'm now usually one or two gears deeper, then with the carbon softail this bike replaces (and that bike already was fast).

The mechanical contruction of the spring and flex-board look robust to me and I wouldn't expect it to break.
Weight of the frame is al ittle bit heavy. But after breaking frames once a year I decided to stop looking too much on the scale for frames as long as they withstand my driving :-)

The "suspension" the frame provides isn't that noticable as in other suspended frames.
But compared to other aluminium Hardtails this frame allows for a very comfortable ride.

I started using tiny Nokian winter tyres on this frame as there was still somy ice when the bike was finished. Replacing them with 2.5" continental tyres made the bike feel even more comfortable without loosing the performance benefit.

I would recommend the frame to anyone who is looking for an efficient raceable bike that provides comfort.

The price I paid was for an older version of the Ripper Frame (Generation 1). Generation 2 is currently available. There is also a 29" Version out now.
Steel frames are also available AFAIK.

Similar Products Used: Several other XC bikes including carbon softails, hardtails and full suspension bikes
jonathan   Racer [Aug 29, 2007]
Strength:

climbing, singletrack,tracking, slingpower effect

could always be lighter

You dont see a lot of these on the trail and I'll admit the Slingshot suppension mechanism is rather unusual. However this suspension works. I definitely feel the slingpower effect working. While cranking a big gear it feels as is the rear triangle is being propelled forward almost like Im getting a push. The rear triangle is rigid so I dont lose any energy at the rear hub. I love the handling of the frame. The geometry is comfortable and ultra efficient. This bike climbs like a mountain goat with cleats. Do yourself a favor and demo one of these bikes. Aaron at Slingshot is very helpful and accomodating and they threw in some free swag to boot. This bike is an excellent fit for a racer or an aggressive weekend warrior.

Tim Golden   Racer [Nov 17, 2007]
Strength:

Great climber, incredible frame geometry, great support from manufacturer, "slingpower" actually works...it feels like someone is pushing you up hills!

I highly recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a great cross country bike. Aaron (at Slingshot) is very good to work with and he will stand behind the product.