Sette Reken Hardtail Frame XC Hardtail

Sette Reken Hardtail Frame XC Hardtail

Where do we start with this gem of a lightweight frame? We could mention such features as the gusseted head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, machined dropouts, disk and v-brake compatibility, hydraulic cable braze-ons or the exclusive Setté seatpost quick release. If you’re worried that a 6061 double-butted aluminum lightweight frame isn’t strong then you will want to know about the reinforced and oversized downtube and the curved stays which are held together using a full bead weld. The only way you are really going to find out is to have one of these exclusive frames for yourself.

[Jun 12, 2012]
Jason DuBray

Strength:

- Great Geometry
- disk and wheel brake mounts
- light weight

- none

I purchased the complete 2012 Sette Reken Deore bike from pricepoint as an entry level bike and with what comes standard on this bike I am extremely pleased. Great Bike Great Price. I would recomend to any one who wants to get a well equiped entry level bike and dosnt want to shell out tons of money. I wasnt sure I would even keep up with cycling but now I am encouraged to look for a road bike as well. I was also concerned about mail order of a complete bike but the packaging was excellent and it didnt have a scratch on it.

None this is my first bike.

[May 30, 2012]
TN trailblazer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Price, weight, color,

None really, thin layer of paint? Its hard to complain about this frame.

I have had this frame since Oct'11 and it has been great! I'm probably a little rougher on it than the manufacturer recommends but its holding up well. I'm out 3-5 times a week on intermediate trails crashed a few times and not even a ding in the frame.
For $130 shipped to my door, it can't be beat.

Trek, GT

[Oct 01, 2011]
not-real-fast

Strength:

Nice looking welds.
Nice looking paint.
Reasonably lightweight.
Bosses for either rim brake or disc brake.
Headset cups and seatpost fit well.
Threads in BB shell are nicely cut. (no burrs)
Alignment seems good.
Geometry is pretty normal for XC/Trail. (445-465mm fork)
PRICE.

Poor packaging - at least this one - it may have been opened and repackaged.
Would have liked cable stops for cable-actuated brakes, or at least, an extra brake cable guide at midpoint of the top tube.
Would have preferred a bolt-type seatpost clamp instead of QR.

My low expectations were blown away when I took it out of the box.
It just plain looks cool.
Tried, but couldn't find anything significantly wrong with it.
I built this for a new rider (not myself) so I can't say how well it rides.
But this is a REAL mountain bike of current design - NOT an obsolete chunk of aluminum.
According to my digital fish scale, 16" frame weights 3.94 pounds with included seatpost binder and derailleur hanger.
Impressive piece of work for $95 plus $45 shipping.
That said, don't overlook you LBS; sometimes they have amazing deals too.

Trek 8000
Specialized Stumpjumper

[Nov 28, 2010]
Alan Weighall

Strength:

Bang for the Buck.great appearance.great fit.

Paint wears easily.not the most versatile cable routing.

I built this bike as an inconspicuous around town single speed that would avoid notice or theft.Ended up with a very cost efective trail worthy rig.gotta say it exceeded my expectations.not a race bike but I sure love it around town,looking forward to getting it out on the trail.manufacturer recommends not using for severe riding,but I gotta say that if the frame gives out after even one year of use...I still got my money worth.Definatly recommended as a fun second bike!

Trek oclv.cannondale.GT Psychlone.Klein attitude

[May 08, 2010]
Tom

Strength:

Nice looking, very inexpensive

none yet, seems like it is not meant for heavy or aggressive riders

I bought a couple of bikes several years ago for my niece and nephew. Over the years I have upgraded them with parts I had left over from upgrades to my bikes. My nephew is now riding my old On-one Inbred (and really kicking ass out on the trails), and my niece has been riding his crappy old Diamondback. (Haven't really gotten her out on the trails much yet) I recently purchased a red Sette Reken frame for her (Diamondback was too small) and built it up with parts from the Diamondback and some stuff I had around the garage. I have only ridden it around the block, and it is too small for me, so I can't say how it is rides on the trails, but it is really a sweet looking bike. $89.00? Are you kidding me? Easily worth every penny.

On-one Inbred, On-one Scandal, On-one 456 Summer Season

[Dec 25, 2009]
jobubr

Strength:

geometry fits me well, durable!!

For a frame that came with a notice that it is not to be used for aggressive riding it has endured. I got it in October 2008 and have been riding it since. It is my default bike! I have ridden it in some of the nastiest rock gardens WV has to offer, in snow and it has performed as well as or better than anything else on the market. My riding buddies just shake their heads that such a cheap bike can perform. Flat paint hides the dents and dings, my only wish is that I had waited for the new red color, but only bcs I think anything with wheels should be red, but that's just an opinion.

Niner EMD, Weyless hartail, GT Avalanche, GT Backwoods

[Dec 07, 2009]
triscole1

Strength:

Love this frame! Its super light, has excellent geometry and handles really well. The cable positioning along the top tube is well placed, and the matte black finish is stealth like and so far durable. I wanted to get back on the trail so I thought I would buy a cheap frame for a quick re-build but what I have found is a top notch frame at an unbelievable price that I just want to keep adding too. I wouldn't want to land hard on this frame so it probably isn't for you freeriders but if you want to climb quickly and shoot down that single track with confidence then I think you should check it out. I opted for the 18" frame over my usual 21", I'm so glad I did, it feels more nimble than my Trek ever did. Did I say I loved this frame!?

So far none... I'm 200lbs and 6ft and its taking me without complaining.

Check out this frame, you will be hard pressed to find fault and just maybe you will love it too.

Trek 4300disc and my trusty old Proflex.

[Dec 06, 2009]
monkeybutt

Strength:

Great climber and responsive handling. Price is unbelievably low. Builds up very well w/ good alignment. Light weight.

Welds are not as nice as on my handbuilt Bontragers or Tomac, but at this price level who cares?

I tried this frame because my steel Bontrager is a tad too small in the top tube for me. I had a local shop transfer some of my old plus some new components to the Reken. The outcome has been pleasently unexpected and a bit shocking. This inexpensive frame/bike noticeably outclimbs my steel Bontrager and may even be better than my well sized titanium Bonty, too. Handling is instant w/ a Marzocchi 80mm fork, but downhills are well controlled. The ride is a bit more abrupt on the bumps than the more compliant metals, but not really bad if ridden like a hardtail should be. The 16" size must be particularly well sized for me, as I experianced much less hand fatigue/numbness than on three of my other bikes including a full suspension 78 Special. I am tempted to trade out my previously go-to titanium frame for another Reken.

Specialized M2, Steel Race OR Bontrager, Titanium Bontrager

[Oct 25, 2009]
derekestivers

Strength:

Price, weight, quality and design.

Shipping to AK! It sucks being considered a foreign country when it comes to trying to get stuff shipped to AK. I had to have the frame shipped to a family member in WA, and have them forward the frame through USPS for $43. I don't see what the big deal is. I'd have paid $50 more for them to ship it to me direct.

I pieced this together with a few spare components from my old i-drive. This was meant to be a test to see if my wife would be into the sport. The bike build costed less than a Huffy from Wally-World, but I'm very impressed with the feel and ridability of the bike. I've even riden it a few times for fun. The final product is very light(frame is a hair over 3.5lbs) and easy for my wife to pedal around. Being 200lbs myself, I don't know if I'd force too much on this bike, but I know all 125 lbs of my wife couldn't hurt this thing if she tried. She likes it, but she has nothing to compare it too. I've ridden my whole life, and am impressed with the cost, quality, and weight combination.

Any other hardtail.

[Oct 16, 2009]
bigNslow

Strength:

Looks and rides great, price.

Paint does chip very easily - may not get trail cred/respect from bike snobs.

The single speed bug bit me and I decided to build one up on a budget using parts I had laying around. I wasn't willing to gamble on a chi chi frame, especially since this wasn't to be my primary ride and I didn't know if the SS thing would be for me. Well, I saw the Reken frame on sale for $79 and after reading many great reviews, figured it was a no-brainer! I pulled the trigger, built it up and have been riding it since with a huge grin on my face. I have to say that the frame has exceeded my expectations (as has single speed riding). It looks great, the ride (for aluminum) is better than expected and the quality of the frame seems very much on par with more expensive offerings. I really think that you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a new frame, especially if you're looking to add another bike to your collection without having to take out a second mortgage. Hard tail fun, great looks, great price - get it and don't look back - it really IS a no-brainer!

Too many to list.