Scott Scale 60 XC Hardtail

• Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore / RF-fire SL
  • Brake Levers: Avid FR-5

max5646   Downhiller [Dec 13, 2011]
Strength:

light,stable,strong, well balanced.

shocking peddles, forks could be better but their usable. brakes need to be upgraded if on fast road use, and so should triers

If you want some to ride to work in, or just a run about its great as its light, can take a small bit of punishment off road. well balanced. not the most pleasant bike to ride for hours. But its great from short to medium distances, lets say any thing from 1 meter to 4 mile

saoirseanbothar   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2011]
Strength:

light weight

Prone to breaking. In the last 8 months two scott frames have failed on me. The first a scale 40 had a fracture on the rear sub frame beside the hanger for the deraileur. This fracture clearly came from a design fault. Scott gave me a replacement scale 60 frame but this broke after three or four uses. Scott refuse to accept it as being warranty related. The top stem buckled some 12 inches back from the head stock. The frame had no major impacts only the usual feet stuck in the cleats fall.

Specialised are probably more sturdy. Scott have concentrated too much on reducing weight which gives a weeker frame not imho suitable for propert mountain biking. Friends have crashed hard on specialised with no damage to the frame.

shane   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2010]
Strength:

Excellent frame and forks

sum of the original run gear not up to hard uses eg rim's and rear derailer

Great value for money bike that you can really spec up and turn in to a full race machine. Ive been giving mine a flogging and it stands up very well climbs like a mountain goat and great on the flat.makes an excellent entry level bike

tonatiuh gutierrez   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, color sheme, 7005 aluminum frame, price. This frame is an incredible option for those who are interested in XC racing.

Fork not that suitable for XC racing, Scott components a bit heavy.

I have to admit that I was looking for a frame to build a lightweight XC racing bike and what I ended up buying was this complete 2007 Scott Scale 60 bike. I did it for the frame which I found perfect for the purpose and started to put it apart and built it with all the parts that I chose (described above) because I wanted a very versatile and light XC hardtail. The result, a 23.07 lbs. cross country bike that is perfect for the use I give to it every weekend and is pretty similar to my ex road bike´s weight. Since I switched from road to mountain biking, this bike has given me a lot of joy and a lot of trail miles without the need to get use to a heavier bike.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale scalpel, Cannondale F7
mwitts   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2009]
Strength:

great frame,easily upgradable,seems under priced,great color scheme

heavy forks with limited travel,no discs as standard

for the money i couldnt find anything any where near as good, the scott name works every time,its never let me down.

Dan1004   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2009]
Strength:

Nice frame, decent components for price, good agressive cockpit.

No disc brakes.

I test drove every bike around- Kona, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Brodie, Devinci, Rocky Mountain and one Cannondale which I almost bought. I found the Scott to be the best deal, mostly because the frame was the best (in my opinion) for the price, and the ergonomics suited me. I'm 6"1 on a short day and 210 lbs. I've started my upgrades here and there, but basically feel that I've got one of the best aluminum hard tails on the market, and with a bit more upgrades, what more can I ask for? I ride quite hard (yes, we do have some pretty technical trails here on the prairie) and fairly often. I've put in a solid summer with it and did manage to get out a couple times with the warm up (all the way to -5). The bike is perfectly solid and has never done a bad thing. 5 stars for me..... but I can't help to wonder why more people don't score this bike higher......

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Giant
Victor Vazquez   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2007]
Strength:

I have the 2007 model
light frame + good components

maybe the frame

I use the bicycle to do serious climbing on the weekends...grades 10% and greater...on fire-access type roads. Downhills are either on the same fire-access type roads or via single track through the forest.

I find the rear tire only slips when my body placement is off, even when I'm in loose soil.

The RockShox Tora 302 fork works great for me (165lbs). I notice that it can really take the hits when screaming downhill without shocking your body.

I think the AL 7005 frame is stiff enough and does not cause you to loose power (like I’ve read in other reviews). However, the frame walls might be too thin. I have already put a very big dent in my top tube (the bike tipped over on to a large rock after I had fallen off). No problems...it only hurts to look at ! I would have gone with a bicycle with a heavier frame.

No problems with the brakes, they are working great (even downhill when its muddy).

I have some noise in the front derailleur, but I intend to have that fixed.

Similar Products Used: diamond back topanga
John   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

Great looking bike, rides good very strong, great over bumbs very stable bike

Fron shox is crape!!

love the bike rides great and looks awesome, have put 400 miles on the bike and it's still running strong

Similar Products Used: Treck,Jamis
naim wahab   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2005]
Strength:

great frame design,much more better design than the 2004 racing line.

the fork... leaks alot... damn ... i think i will change it to a more better fork...

a got bike to begin with... i,m just a weekend warrior so the bike just fit me fine.. I really don't like the fork...

Alex   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2006]
Strength:

looks fast and light

more heavy than expected
crap fork

this bike sux! for what it costs it should be lighter and have a better fork. i took mine back to the shop i bought it from and traded it in for a different mfg. the guys that sold the scale to me said the fork can be upgraded, but after we tried to find anything to change the performance of the axel it was apparent the only thing to do was change it. i didnt want to start changing major components on a new bike i just chunked 950 bucks for... so i went back and exchanged it for a stumpjumper that has better parts and cost less. i fell for the scott hype... i should have stuk with specialized!