Scott Scale 50 XC Hardtail

• Brake Levers: Shimano M 525 Disc
  • Brakes: Shimano M 525 Disc 160 mm rotor F+R
  • Crankset:Shimano FC-M 470 hollowtech / 22x32x44 T

-Chameleon-   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

-GREAT Value
-Extremely light and strong frame
-Great quality
-Awesome brakes
-Stock tyres roll so fast its crazy

-Fork is very heavy
-Tyres are not as grippy as I would like

This is a great value bike. The frame is incredibly light, I found myself shooting up climbs faster than ever before. The brakes are great, with just enough bite for my liking. The brakes levers suit me perfectly too, as i have small hands. The stock groupset performs perfectly, as expected from Shimano. The stock fork, a RockShox Tora SL is ok, but very heavy. The stock spring was a bit too hard for me, I'm a 50kg rider.

Overall, this is a fantastic bike that would perfectly suit an entry level XC rider. The aggressive looks are attractive, and the stock components are great, except the forks. A great bike for a great price.

I'll be upgrading to a Fox fork once I have the money.

Similar Products Used: Merida Matts TFS 100-D
Cmontanez   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2009]
Strength:

Agressive geometry, very good weight/price ratio, hydraulic brakes, looks good. Great stock tires.

Fork was too heavy, front derailer and crankset too heavy for the nice frame.

I upgraded from a GIANT Rincon, there is an abyss between the two. I have riden it in both marathon (45mi) and XC races, and it has proven to be very fast and has taken a couple of hard hits with no problem. Excellent purchase, I am definitely sticking with SCOTT on my next upgrade (I'll probably be changing the crankset to an SLX soon).

Similar Products Used: None
queevil   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2009]
Strength:

Great craftsmanship. Fairly light even with stock parts. Aggressive geometry. XT rear der.

The fork and wheelset are ridiculously heavy at around 5# each.

Before I make any complaints let me say that I am very happy with this bike. For a hardtail that's a lot better than an entry level hardtail but not quite as well spec'd as a professional racing bike Scott put together a great bike. So I have a few complaints. The frame, with it's racing inspired geometry is awesome but the 5# fork and nearly 5# wheelset make it anything but a race bike. The frame is more than worthy of upgrades so I plan on upgrading the wheels to something a couple of pounds lighter and then the same with the fork, maybe a sid. When that's done I think this bike will accelerate like a beast. So all in all I think that this is a great bike aside from some weight issues with two very important components. The person who wants a quality hardtail and knows that mountain biking is something that they will stick with should give the Scale 50 a test ride and buy it if it's comfortable. I think that person would be better served by the Scale 50 than most entry level hardtails especially those which cost under a grand. Who shouldn't buy it? Those who's riding style is more aggressive than xc riding would be better served by an all mountain rig. Those who aren't sure if mtb is a a sport that they will stick with. Those with a huge budget would do well to check out the higher end Scale models with the nicer parts. In summary this is a great bike who's frame just begs to be upgraded. Because of the heavy fork and wheels I have to give this bike a rating of four chilli's.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper,Trek 6700,Cannondale F5
changer   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2009]
Strength:

Strong and light frame. For racers who like to go fast

For racers who like to go fast. Aggressive geometry not for all.

Great bike for the money. Can take punishment and handles well.

Damage   Weekend Warrior [Jan 18, 2009]
Strength:

Nice ride, Strong, Fast, Light

Tyres are rubbish, I upgraded to a riser bar, brakes didn't suit me

This is a briilant bike, its handles like a dream and is amazingly fast! Upgrade to a riser bar and change the tyres and your away! I didn't like the brakes (juicy 3.5) as i have huge hands and i don't like the lever placement on them. Otherwise this bike is awesome!

Similar Products Used: Too many to list
kytternes   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2008]
Strength:

Tough built, great frame, nice ride!

Fork is heavy!

Great value for the money but could have been a 1 kg lighter but that would have rised the price. I love it!!

Similar Products Used: Scott Boulder, HardRocx Stone Machine
Jari   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2006]
Strength:

Beautiful ride! Geometry of the bike suits me nicely.

Fork! Short travel and heavy. But still, good enough.

For the money i spend, this bike is great. Nowadays i've bougth Giant full-susser, but the difference between Giant and Scott is not big. If i would get the full-susser which is as good to ride as Scott, it would be heaven.

Iwan Kemp   [Apr 23, 2007]
Strength:

Value for Money. Solid build. Reliable. Handles well on single track, mild downhills and jeep track.

Bit heavy, but fair for the price range.

Had to decide between Raleigh RM 4.0, GT Avalanche 1 and one or two others, but got a great deal and service from the guys at Willie Engelbrecht. For the money buy it. For it's intented purpose it's the best there is.

James Russell   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2006]
Strength:

This bike is very light, even though I have the XL frame. Things I Love about this bike- beautiful craftmanship, quality components, easy to ride, Hydraulic disk brakes, good looking, fork-mounted lockout/rebound adjustment and nice frame geometry. Plus very durable for a sports xc bike.

standard tyres give no confidence on the road. Many people say that 80mm fork travel is too little for this bike.

I am approaching 3000 miles on the computer now, and only just changed front brake pads. apart from tyres and regular maintenance, she has'nt needed anything else. The scott scale 50 is an electrifying bike to ride, though £870 is the most expencive bike I've ever bought by far. accelerates and climbs superbly. I'm using 1.9" semi-slick tyres (continental double fighterII) at the moment as the majority of my riding is on the road/broken tarmack/hard pack, but fitting larger volume tyres makes the bike very capable and comfortable off road. well worth the extra money over the scale 60. In short a very versatile and balanced bike.