Scott Scale 40 XC Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano LX 580 / Dual Control
  • Brake Levers: Shimano LX 580 Disc
  • Brakes: Shimano LX 580 Disc 160 mm rotor F+R

TrailJunkie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2011]
Strength:

Light, stiff, perfect geometrie for racing

Wonderful versatile bike. The frame is light and stiff, accelerates extremly good, handels well in down- and uphill situations. The geometry is perfect for racing. I love it :-)

Similar Products Used: Kinesis frames
eggroll   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2010]
Strength:

very light!

this is my novice cyclist review..

this bike is VERY fast!
climbs way faster than my Cannondale.
only had it for a few weeks but like it so far.
very very impressive bike.

Similar Products Used: 2005 Giant XTC1
2004 Cannondale f1000sl team sobe
watari   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2009]
Strength:

Light, Stiff and Responsive

Paint chips really easily as some reviewers have noted and the most uncomfortable seat ever. Mountain Kings 2.2 has notable rolling resistance.

So far so good and loving it. Very responsive ride. Fox fork is smooth and when it is locked out, it is locked out. No shallow bob like rock shox. Only been riding in wider tack gravel paths lately for winter riding conditions. I have yet to take this out on the winding singletracks with fast switchbacks and varying terrains of tree roots and rocks. SLX components are okay. I will update this post later.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000, Gary Fisher Piranha
davejv   Cross Country Rider [Dec 13, 2009]
Strength:

In my opinion, its a really tough frame. Ive been taking it almost everywhere i go and between destinations are some crap condition roads and a few speed bumps that double as jumps. Its a strong frame for me. im 183 pounds by the way.

just the paint. chips quite easily

buy it if youre looking for a strong light frame

woody johnson   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2009]
Strength:

I'm a roadie who took the plunge into MTB. I did alot of research and demo'd quite a few bikes b/f I choose the Scott Scale 40. I wanted a hard tail xc bike that had discs a quality lock out fork w/ at least 100mm travel, decent components and was relatively light(yeah, still a roadie at heart)and most importantly is responsive and the scale 40 fit the bill and billfold - lol. So far, I couldn't be happier riding local single tracks and the bike has given me confidence to try up & downhills that I otherwise wouldn't attempt.

I find the oem grips too be uncomfortable - will swap them out. No biggie.

Great, fast and light bike. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a serious MTB that will allow the them to grow into the sport. Solid aluminum frame and smooth fork. For XC single track riding its just a well made and overall great bike.

Similar Products Used: Demoed fisher, trek, & giant.
rrathje   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Nice geometry. Top tube/seat tube dimensions are ideal for twisty singletrack and my dimensions. Very maneuverable for me. Frame is stiff, yet surprisingly comfortable for an oversized aluminum framed hardtail. Power transfer is outstanding on the short, power climbs and steep sections.

Paint chips easily--paper thin.

So far, I really like how my Scott Scale 40 rides. It's a nice bike with spot-on geometry for me. I'm 5'10 and chose a medium sized frame in order to get the top tube length I wanted. My previous bike was a size "Large" Klein Attitude, and it was a little long. The Scott is much more maneuverable for me in tight, twisty singletrack, with better standover height. The Fox fork is very nice, smooth with lots of travel. All components seem solid, if not flashy. Shimano components just plain work for me, and the SLX cranks are absolutely stiff and beefy without a hint of flex even when stomping up steep singletrack seated and in the middle ring. I'm withholding judgement on the Avid brakes--so far, they stop nicely, and modulate smoothly. We'll see how long they stay that way, though...The Scott is also surprisingly comfortable--my Klein Attitude would beat me up after an afternoon of singletrack or fireroad riding, but the Scott seems more comfortable. I attribute that to the heavily shaped tubing. The Klein had essentially round tubing except for the chainstays. The Scott Scale has nary a round tube anywhere, with the exception of the seattube.

My one gripe is the paint. One fireroad jaunt and three chips appeared. My Klein never once had a single paint chip in 6 years of service. Granted, my Klein had a beautiful and tough powdercoat, but Scott should do better than this one-micron layer of cheap, flaky paint. I know, I know, it's a mountain bike...but still.

Overall, a nice hardtail, which is becoming more difficult to find these days (a shame). I still don't have any desire to go full suspension. It suits my "stay-in-the saddle and stomp" riding style. I deduct 1 point for the apparently paper thin Taiwanese paint job.

Other products considered: Kona Kula

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude w/ full Shimano XT, Judy.
KarlosH   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Fast, Strong frame, Good Brakes Fantastic forks!! and Looks the Bizz!!

Paint wore through where the workstand holds the top tube even with Rubber protection..Crap bars too narrow and Seat far too hard.

This bike is great..I am heavy and the bike takes all i can give it without any problems at all. Changed the bars and seat..Also have another set of wheels with road tyres that i can switch in minutes with the same rotors fitted. A fantastic all rounder and good kit for the money.

Similar Products Used: None
Gian   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2008]

A race bike. Very nervous but climbing fast.

Scott   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong frame with great geometry and fit. Very nice component group and I love the integrated shifters.

The only thing I could take issue with was the seat. The Scott stock race seat was very comfortable but had too much flex and squeaked to the point of madeness

I rode several bikes before deciding on the Scott Scale 40. The Gary Fisher, Rocky Mountain, Trek and others were nice but but the Scott offered the best set-up for the money and was far and away the most comfortable bike out of all the I rode. If your in the market for a new bike I would make sure you test drive a Scott before you speed your money.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher.
julio biker   Racer [Jul 31, 2007]
Strength:

geometry

weight, a bit porky 1.6 kilos

This review is for the red colored 07 scale 40 frame, 7005 aluminium. I got this frame for free because i race for a local Scott team, on the components i cant say anything because i swapped components to the new frame, I can only comment that they are much lighter, so my bike is at least 2 kilos lighter than the stock scale 40.
The bike looks slick, that red is very racy, gets attention, so in graphics and esthetics, great.
The geometry has surprised me very positively, it´s fast, stiff, it´s low with noticable sloping and more vertical angles, so it´s snappy and quick, and at the same time stable because of the thick aluminium tubes. The rear "box" design translates energy very well.
I always suffered from back pain, my last bike was a titanium ht, still my back hurt, and for some reason with the scales geomtry I have adapted great and my back dont hurt anymore. I suppose the stans tubless helps in that department.
My only complain is weight, the frame is a bit porky, with my previous old school titanium frame, my bike was 9.80 kilos, i thought it would be lighter with the scale and now is 10.3 kilos, so thats like 500grams extra, i don´t know where they came from, the frame plus the long cable housings i suppose, anyway I don´t mind at all considering how good this bike fits me, for the record i use a 17.5 frame with a short stem 7.5mm
And it´s not a cheap frame or 800 bucks retail, this is a finely crafted, technologically advanced aluminum frame.
Now i am saving for the Carbon fiber Scale, maybe as my next xmas present, as it´s my dream bike, my teammates use it and that´s something else!!!!
4 chilis because of the weight. there are much lighter aluminum frames out there.