Rocky Mountain Vertex XC Hardtail

Rocky Mountain Vertex XC Hardtail

[Jul 17, 2011]
Newbie2011

Strength:

I was invited to attend an 8 hour epic in Mansfield ON. At age 52 I managed 2, 10k laps on a 12 year old Raleigh Tarantula, with original tires I might add. I spent the next 6 weeks on line looking at spec's for MTB's trying to find an good entry level bike that would suit my needs. I quickly realized that you are not buying a bike you are buying a frame. So the vertex with 7005 grade aluminum offered a stiffer frame than most bikes in it price range.

I broke the seat fist time out and I will likely upgrade the derailleurs

Excellent entry level MTB

Did a road test on Kona , Giant , and Marins all in the $1100 to $1300 price range.Rocky Mountain only one with Air suspension.

[May 15, 2011]
rockyuphill

Strength:

Very light, super stiff and responsive frame with great geometry, very well damped frame with zero vibration transmission.

None that were an issue for me

This was the first production run of the Vertex 70 RSL frame that used the standard modulus carbon. For a couple of years now this has been my favourite bike to ride just because it is so light and nimble and responds to body english and pedal input so well. It is not only great at speed, it's also very good in the low speed technical stuff. The frame is very stiff so you have to hover your butt on the rough stuff, but the slightly heavier carbon is completely damped, so no trail or tire vibration makes it through the seatpost, it feels solid as riding a tree stump. Having very light 1360gm wheels is certainly abig part of the responsiveness, but compared to my previous fave ride, the 2007 scandium Vertex Team, this bike handles in an almost telepathic fashion. The newer 70 RSL uses the same high modulus carbon as the Team so it is bit lighter and a bit more resonant, but not enough to be an annoyance. Combined with a Magura Durin fork, this bike doesn't produce fatigue like aluminium did, and it is even better damped than scandium (but much much stiffer in the rear end).

2000 RMB Vertex, 2007 RMB Vertex Team scandium

[Jun 11, 2010]
omnibike

Strength:

velosiped zaebis

[Mar 09, 2010]
marvins2000

Strength:

Great frame and fork, great color and easy to ride, light and strong for ride, really good

Poor tires traction, poor brakes juice

I as using in the road for last 3 months is really good, you fell free and comfortable in the bike riding in any kind of road, is to easy ride and enjoy the roads for the 9 speeds and 3 front. Great components and relly light, good price for great product.

GT Zaskar

[Aug 19, 2009]
poop

Strength:

very light very fast very strong the best frame ive ever had

none so far

rides well fast if you can get one for a decent price try it you wont regret it. i dont switch frames every year because i have nothing else to do, the frame has lasted for 8 years riding and wrecking (mostly wrecking) on trails in ak and oh

various other frames from giant gt raleigh

[Jun 30, 2009]
swervin

Strength:

Light, strong, quick, great component set, nice steering.

Tyres

Great bike for the price - very happy. Agile, light, yet strong - better than expected. Brakes are noisy but function well. Recommended. 4 and a half stars.

[Jun 03, 2009]
smitty0968

Strength:

Great price for a hand made bike with hand made rims AND XT components! They top this off with a Fox shock and the same bike with other manufacturers would be way more expensive. The bike shifts well and I like the fork lock out feature. The stock tires are great and the frame design really fits me well. The bike has taken a beating in the first few months and come out great!

At this point, I really don't have any.

I never thought I'd pay this much for a bike, but you do indeed get what you pay for. After comparing this bike to a Specialized Stumpy, I felt this bike was the better deal. I haven't been disappointed.

Last bike was a Cannondale, but that was many moons ago.

[Oct 03, 2008]
Uberbiker

Strength:

Stiff, undestructable frame. Beautiful paint job. Bicycle fits very well.

Funny squeaky noises sometimes when I pedal, rear derailler skips once in a while (but all this is not rocky mountain's fault, it's shimano's fault!)

Very pleased. Was considering a Specialized Rockhopper comp for a few hundred bucks cheaper but glad i went with rocky mountain. Didn't use it much so far but when I do, i'll post a follow up to this

I'll give it a 4 for value since it's pricey and also cuz i'm not happy about the shimano components. Rest is great tho.

GT Backwoods (1996)

[Aug 28, 2008]
skeedeemon

Strength:

Light, fast and durable. Solid frame. Climbs great. Excellent value for the money.

Stock tyres too skinny. Just don't go to wide on the rear as there isn't enough room.

Excellent entry level HT, never done any serious MTB'ing until I came to Canada in 05. Has done everything I have asked of it and stood up to some wicked punishment (mainly on account of my crap skills and steep learning curve). After 3 seasons of being thrashed around Whistler/Pemberton and Squamish it is still going strong. Having to replace components (BB, rear wheel) as they are wearing out.

Buying an all mtn dual suspension next (skills gone up a few levels) but I'll keep this for less intense trails.

Nil

[Jul 23, 2008]
Mike204

Strength:

GREAT FRAME, REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT. GREAT ON AND OFF ROAD.
AFFORDABLE PRICE FOR A GREAT HARDTAIL. CANADIAN BUILT!

NONE FOUND YET.

THIS BIKE KICKS A** FOR AROUND $1000. great for the circuit, trails, or whatever. I didn't care much for the stock EA30 stem, bar, seat post and seat, so I added the EA70 stem, EC70 carbon xc flatbar, Thomson Elite seat post, and Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle. Oh and the Mallet pedals.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLOW 2.0 (STOLEN FROM ME LAST YEAR SO I UPGRADED TO THE VERTEX)