Raleigh Talus XC Hardtail

eli ritter   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2017]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong aluminum frame, equipped with good components

Brakes could be stiffer and quieter

Out of the box best value for the price. All around great bike for any trail. Front suspension a little soft for really aggressive downhill riding.

Similar Products Used: Norco, motive, trek, specialized
The Grouch   [Aug 02, 2012]
Strength:

This bike climbs like a beast.

The brakes are kind squeaky at times.

I bought this bike for my son, and it has improved his riding skills. Very solid bike I would buy another Raleigh bike , maybe one for my wife.

waterski4life1   Weekend Warrior [Feb 23, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, the drive-train, and rims

Brakes

Let's start with the bad, the brakes are only marginally better than my previous box store's linear pull brakes. The back brakes are fine, but too much on them and you skid, so of course you go to the front, the brakes just will not grab on. My first ride, we rode some off-road and some on-road, while on-road we found the biggest hill we could, now it wasn't long but it was steep, I pulled on the front brakes until I felt as though if I pulled any harder they would lock, there isn't much in between. First things first, replaces the brakes.

Go onto the good, I can easily lift this bike onto my shoulder and carry it up over large obstacles and today I carried it 5 feet across a 2x4 over a stream, I only weigh 110 lbs but it is of no problem to me.

The pedal efficiency is amazing on this bike, when in 1-1 I have almost 2 rotations to my friend's one rotation, this relieves so much stress from my legs, making the climbs much more enjoyable.

The rims, I haven't rode it enough to have anything happen yet, but they are red, so what more could you want!

Should you buy this bike? I would say this is a great entry level bike, I tested out Hardrock sport disc and a Hardrock 29er disc, but with the deal I got on this bike, $290 off, and my parents paying for most of it (I only had to pay $150) I enjoyed this bike more, the brakes were better on the other two but this bike just felt better riding it.

Similar Products Used: Cheapie box-store bike, Top Level L.L. Bean Bike (top level schwinn)
dgw2jr   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2011]
Strength:

Handles very well, a lot of confidence in corners, powerful disc brakes

Rims accept 2.1" tires or smaller only, plastic pedals

I tested out several bikes at every LBS in my area and this one stood out the most. It fit perfectly, not too heavy, decent component selection, and it felt like I was riding on rails. I tested out a few after testing this one just to be sure it was the one. I bought it and quickly took it out to my favorite trail just down the road from me. I clocked my fastest average speed ever! I leaned harder into corners than I ever have. I flew down hills at speeds previously unimaginable. I attacked obstacles that I used to avoid every time. My previous bike, 19.5" 2005 Trek 4300, was too large for me and I couldn't keep the dang thing under control. You really can't beat the Raleigh Talus 4.0 for the price.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, 4500, 3900, Giant Revel 1, Giant Anthem X 29er
kickback2   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2011]
Strength:

Light since I live up stairs. Great ride after you get use to the gear setup.

I think tires are ok. When you use to other products. Its hard to sometimes liet that go. I might change out the tires for a more stick of a feel to the pavement.Feels like it doesnt grip well to the road. The plastic pedals has to go.

I look around for a new mtn bike. My last bike lasted 12 yrs. I test rode many bikes ( hardrock, trek and GT) I like GT but wanted to get something different then I had before. Thats where I pick the Raleigh. At first I thought I made a mistake. But After a month of riding. Came to think it was the right choice I did make. I like the color, the way it handles. Its been street riding weekend or to and from work. I would say check out this bike. I am like you on a budget. But I am hopping this bikes last me alteast 10 yrs of great riding.

Similar Products Used: GT outpost Trail with upgrades over the 12 yrs I had the bike. Shocks, Seat, etc.
DownOnTheUpside   Weekend Warrior [Jan 01, 2011]
Strength:

Frame
Brakes
Wheelset

Fork

The value is great for $550 you get a great frame and a great wheelset. I rode alot this year and none of the compenents had any problems. I think is a great bike to start on in a sense that the frame most important pieces are there for you. The suntour fork is trash, but i would rather them put on a that than a dart 1 or 2 and raise the price. The drivetrain is ok, but i would pgrade hte front derailuer soon, and ride the rest until they wear out. Its better than my friends GT Avalance 2.0, and the Airbourne Spectre. The rocky Mountain fusion is 200 more, but is a better equipted bike. For the money, this is a great bike. After a few hundy in upgrades, it can compete with anything in XC.

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche, Airbourne Spectre, Rocky Mountain Fusion
Got2GoFast   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2005]
Strength:

Killer component line-up for the price. Can't get into any other bike of that caliber for less than $900. Solid frame. Feels good in tight, fast turns.

The fork. That's it really. Too soft for me. I'm about a solid 205 lbs. and I can bottom it out whenever I want to.

Great bike. If you're wanting a good all-around recreational bike thats instantly raceworthy at the drop of a hat, then you got it with the Talus. Only suggestion is for anyone who is thinking about buying this bike that is my size, set some extra money aside after buying it to plan on upgrading the fork to something stiffer.

Similar Products Used: An old GT Timberline FS with just about everything upgraded to LX and XT before it got stolen. Man I loved that bike. Demo'd everything from Giant Rainier's to Fish Tassajara's before settling on this one.
J.L. Garcia   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2004]
Strength:

Good Bike components, good quality & looking frame, light weight, very good price

the Fork could be improved

I've ride the bike 200 miles and in general the bike is very good specially for that price and if I compare with bikes of the same price, the bike is excellent. My only complain could be the fork that is too soft in when ridding in nice roads and too hard on rocky and bumpy roads. I really recommend this bike for any crsoss contry biker.