Raleigh M80 XC Hardtail

Raleigh M80 XC Hardtail

[Jul 08, 2012]
stanleykowalski

Strength:

Lots of decent components for cheap. I particularly like having the disc brakes.

Not so good for its double duty as an urban commuter. Seems to have had a not insignificant number of broken parts over the years. On the other hand, I've ridden it pretty much more than I would have expected when I bought it first and last. On the stuff people aren't looking for a brand name, they cut corners maybe. Yeah, the seat tube is a little weak.

Fair price for a "real" mountain bike. At least it was back then. I've had it since 2002, I think, so its a long term evaluation. I'm not one of these skinny kids in bicycle shorts. I tend to laboriously grind up a fire trail and then fly down as more a training exercise. I expect the bike takes quite a beating on the downhill part given my weight, and my willingness to get some altitude first. No wonder the components take a beating.

Can't say categorically its the best bang for the buck. I'd check out Jamis, for example if I had to do it again.

You won't go far wrong with a bike like this.

[Jun 07, 2012]
SDKmann

Strength:

Very durable, comfortable saddle, great stock tires, solid overall package

Weak stock pedals, very heavy, low end fork

I own a 2004-2005 model that was purchased new as my first mountain bike. I could not be happier with this bike for a beginners bike in this price range. I crash on a regular basis on the trails and have had more than a few high speed crashes on pavement as well. Despite all the big crashes I have had in the years I've owned this bike the only casualty, other than myself, has been the pedals. The stock pedals that come with this bike have no place on the bike. They are very weak and are easy to break, if the bike is going to see any trail use at all the pedals need to be the first thing to go. I went through 3 sets of the stock pedals before I upgraded to solid magnesium pedals and now there are no weak points on the bike. The fork is another weak point on the bike. My bike came with the Manitou Six fork which I have not been very happy with. 80mm of travel is just not enough and the knob to adjust the dampening broke soon after I purchased the bike, the weight of the fork doesn't help either. It is good enough to get by though and so far it has remained on the bike. The third major weak point, and arguably the largest flaw, is the weight. The heaviness of the bike makes it difficult to control at higher speeds on the trail and is a pain during climbs. If the increased weight is what is required to make this bike as durable as it is at this price point then it is an acceptable trade off, but this bike would have at least 4 chilies if it was even a little lighter. The stock WTB saddle on this bike is really great. Its not mushy at all but its soft enough that it is comfortable for all day riding. The saddle is so good that I would transfer it to a new bike if I ever got one, I can't imagine a more expensive saddle being any better. The stock WTB Weirwolf tires are fantastic as well. I still have the stock tires that came with the bike, they have worn well and I have not had a flat. Since 04-05 the rear tire has been worn down in the middle and needs to be replaced, but the front still has lots of tread and grips the trail very well. The front tire has never washed out on the trails and I doubt the rear would if it still had all its tread. The disc brakes work well, Im sure there are other brakes out there now that would be a significant upgrade but the stock Hayes MX-2s perform very well. Overall the Raleigh M80 is a great value. The stock components are sufficient, especially for a beginner, and the affordable package makes it an awesome option for a fun trail bike. The few upgrades I have done have made the M80 even more fun for a very small cost.

[Jul 25, 2011]
senbluto

Strength:

Durable, feels solid, really a rock-solid off-road ride.

Heavy!

A very reliable bike for a damn decent price. The Judy forks leave a lot to be desired, but what can one expect for $500? The Shimano components have yet to fail me, which is an impressive statement (IMHO) for their low-end stuff.

Diamondback

[Aug 08, 2010]
Vociferous

Strength:

Stable feel, durable frame, good front shock.

Shifters go out of adjustment frequently

I have been riding Raleigh since 1981, so after I read a favorable review in Bicycling.com for the 2000 model, I grabbed a 2001 model in 2002. The bike has never let me down, although I rarely ride on trails. I mostly do agressive street riding; jumping curbs, carrying heavy loads, riding in extreme weather and on bad roads.
The suspension seatpost and Manitou Magnum forks are more than a match for any hard road, light trail riding I might do. This is the first mountain bike I have ever owned, so I was not aware that it was considered heavy by some. I intend to upgrade the forks to Manitou Drake 100mm and the crank and bottom bracket to Stronglight X1.

[May 22, 2010]
TNT AK

Strength:

Rugged, lasting components. Great commuter bearing loads on the tail. Summer fun trail duster for the adventurous.

Steal is heavy.

Solid composition of inspired engineering. This machine has matched a demand for flexibility in terrain and returned no complaints. Since 1996 only the trails end has hampered forward momentum. Miles of joy!

TREK.

[Apr 30, 2010]
codybean

Strength:

value, wheels

seat post

Bought it in 1998, and have put many miles on it. Mostly on pavement , but a couple DH rides. The Parana Pro wheels are still in good shape, which is amazing. The Rock Shock front is pretty trashed at this point. Overall a good value.

[Apr 12, 2009]
Rick from the Pacific Rim

Strength:

Very solid bike, no breaks, no problems. Sturdy as a tank.

After 4 years the front fork is starting to get squishy.

I bought this bike in early 2005 and it has performed flawlessly since, the bike weighs 32 lbs stock and can be less with new upgrades. I was T-boned twice while living in Hawaii in 2006 by cars (in the crosswalk) and the frame never cracked, did some damage to the rims and pedals though and had to be replaced. I've ridden cross country and trail in Hawaii, Okinawa and Guam and have taken some HARD falls and the bike NEVER falters. I'm not a pro but I have ridden some higher end hardtails and full suspensions and I'll stay with this bike because I have full confidence in it. I clean the bike and lube all componentss after every ride (2-3 times a week) and it stills shifts like new. Recently I was going to upgrade to a newer bike but after some serious thought changed my mind, the new bikes are lighter but not significantly so, with a few upgrades I can shed some weight from this bike. I will be upgrading the front fork and handlebars soon and probably the chain and gears in the next year due to prolonged wear plus getting some rust due to island living and constant salt air that gets into everything. I just had the internals overhauled and the mechanic was amazed that all components were in great condition.I was a new rider when I bought the bike and have advanced significantly since, I'm sure it's not the right bike for everyone but I've been happy with it and will continue to ride it until it falls apart.

Specialized Rock Hopper and Giant XTC

[Sep 20, 2005]
Mike

Strength:

Great Price with great components. Also, a very attractive bike to just stare at. Beeeuutifu black paint!

It is heavy.

These people who are always griping about soft shocks, poor components, swapping this swapping that; it is ridiculous. I paid 650 for this bike with the intention of riding it as is, and ride it I have without any problems whatsoever. It is a mtn. bike, and all you need to know is it has low gears and high gears. The front shock is quite cushiony, which I beieve is the purpose and is alot of fun to ride. Shifts great, stops great and pedals great. No creaks, no breakdowns no nothing. If you put a decal on the side that said Cannondale or Trek, people would be all over this thing about how awesome it is. I love it. It is also nice looking to boot. It is perfect for whatever use, whether it is commuting, trail riding, racing -- whatever. I have used it for all three and done just fine. This bike would have been state of the art three years ago.

Giant Butte

[Apr 06, 2006]
mike nolan

Strength:

price & components

GREAT BIKE GREAT VALUE NO COMPLAINTS
GREAT FOR BEGINNERS SHOULD LAST FOREVER

gary fisher marlin

[Jul 13, 2007]
Paul

Strength:

Nice geometry, wide handlebars, nice shocks, good Hayes mechanical disc brakes, excellent Weirwolf tires, Shimano Dura-ace components.

Weak pedals. The Manitou shocks probably wouldn't stand up to the type of use a racer would put on it.
Usually, new, I guess the bike would cost somewhere between $500 and $600.

I'm someone what would probably have been happy with a Specialized Hard Rock Sport (about $350). I'm thrilled to death with this M80. If you're a beginner or intermediate cross country rider, the wheels, tires, shocks and disk brakes ought to be enough to spoil you.

I tested Trek 4500 and a Specialized Hard Rock Sport.