Orange P7 S XC Hardtail

• Brake levers: Hayes FX9
  • Hubs: Shimano Deore Disc
  • Chainset: Shimano 470 Spline Hollowtech

Richard   Weekend Warrior [Jan 28, 2008]
Strength:

Nice pingy steel frame, no gizmos. Ride is very predictable. Feels strong, can be thrown about. Climbs pretty well.

Comes supplied with a high front end (Fox Vanillas, 140mm travel).....I'm still not quite used to it, but apparently can adjust to 110mm which lowers it..

After my Klein, this bike felt heavier, but then, what wouldn't? I've decided that a slightly more relaxed ride is in order, ditching the 'nose down xc racer pose'. Still unsure about the high front end, though, having said that, it climbs remarkably well. Only minor niggles were the Hope brakes took ages to bed in (now fine) and the RaceFace cranks are raised in the middle on the drive side, so you can bang your ankle bone on it!!

I wanted a good, off-the-peg "British" bike and this is a good option if you don't want to mess about specc'ing everything and paying oodles of dosh. The upgrade options are useful. In retrospect, I'd have probably paid the extra £150 and got the Float forks (lower run height, lockout). The dropouts are ready for a singlespeed conversion, or (as I intend to one day), a hub gear, such as a Rohloff. Given the winter we are having, this idea gets increasingly attractive!

Generally, a sound buy and I'm chuffed. Recommended to XC'ers!

Similar Products Used: Last bike (still have), a 99/00 Klein Attitude Race..
OVERALL