On-One Scandal XC Hardtail

The Scandal is new superlight XC frame, designed for covering the ground at high speed, either for fun or in one of the Marathon sort of races that people like doing. This is the least-aluminium-like aluminium frame.

dixter1975   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2011]
Strength:

light, looks, anodised

harsh stiff and a bit skittish (26" version)

very light very quick very capable climber. too harsh in the back end for me. Im 6'1 and got an 18" frame which fits well. A very capable xc frame but i prefer something more forgiving for the type of riding i do.

Similar Products Used: trek sawyer 29er
Appendage   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2009]
Strength:

Reasonably priced, honest 3.5 lbs for the 18" (yes, I weighed it), sharp handling, compact feel, understated appearance, comes faced and chased, no assembly issues

None so far

I was looking for a light, inexpensive 29er frame to build up as a race bike to replace my Fisher Mt Tam 29er. I went with the Scandal and it's been nothin' but love. I'm 5'11" with long arms and the 18" fits perfectly. The geometry is nearly identical to a Niner hardtail. Compared to the Scandal, my Fisher felt like a truck, even though it was almost as light. I had no compatibility issues with the hodgepodge of parts I threw on it- everything lines up, no clearance issues, etc. If you're looking for an inexpensive, light 29er frame, put the Scandal on your list of candidates.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Mt Tam 29er, 19"
capco   Racer [Apr 27, 2009]
Strength:

geometry, light, ride,quality, price, full lenght cable housing for rear mech is nice.

none so far.Although cast aluminum drop-outs seem sketchy but have held up so far.

Great frame! Light, inexpensive and handles like a knife, climbs like a goat. I purchased this bike mainly because the geo- matched my carbon stumpjumper almost exactly. The stumpy carbon broke 2x and was warrantied both times with a new frame so the last time I decided that I wanted Aluminum frame with the same geometry so I e-bayed it. The stumpjumper carbon rode beautifully and the 18 inch fit great so I searched until I found the scandal and the geo was very close. I am 5' 10" and wanted a bike that would handle and fit me the same as the stumpjumper and be light. The scandal has delivered! I would not hesitate purchase one of their frames, excellent quality, light, agile and rides like my SJ carbon HT but way less expensive. Most defiantly a race worthy bike.

Similar Products Used: 18" carbon stumpjumper HT, 18" steel bianchi HT,17.5" Fisher rig
Gabbo8   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2009]
Strength:

Frame geometry,build quality and price thats australian dollars for the frame only

anodising seems to come off pretty easily and with my rather unconventional parts list I couldn't use large front ring as the lower bottle cage bolt wouldn't allow the front mech to be mounted high enough

This is a really solid frame that inspires me to push myself into situations I didn't think I was up for.It responds best when you crank hard sort of loosening up in the rear end.If you just bumble along the ride is pretty harsh but it is alloy and it is marketed as a racer.I did my first ever race on this bike last year 70 hilly miles and experienced no back pain so it isn't too jarring.This is a very good climber you don't have to get right up on the point to keep the front down and 70degrees is quick enough in tight singletrack without being suicide downhill.Stromlo is pretty rocky and the guys I ride with are ex motorcross on 5" full sus rigs so this frame has taken a fair bit and shown me a fair bit more.I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.The front mech issue is not a problem many people are going to experience and I just ride with 26 and 36 chainwheels-36/11 is plenty for my legs

Similar Products Used: none really my last bike was a '93 diamond back Axis pro a sweet ride but things have changed a lot since then
voodoope   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2008]
Strength:

The frame is very comfortable, feels stiff and fast

None so far. Could have had a choice of colors. It only comes in black

I have ridden this bike on some technical trails now and like it very much. I run the same set up as my Voodoo Sobo, The On One feels faster and is easier to play with...
I will get one more Scandal 26" frame to set up with heavier parts and longer stroke forks.

Similar Products Used: Voodoo Sobo. Ventana El Chiquillo
Brian   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight supple scandium black anodized 29er

I'm not Richie Rich but I love to ride. I had to choose between a mid-grade full-susp bike or a higher end hardtail. The Scandal was the right choice. This is the most understated bike on the trail. I'm 6'5" and it fits me perfectly. I love the 29 inch ride, the 27 pound set-up, and the wicked black anodized frame. The Reba SL does everything you want it to. The Scandal stands firm during grinding climbs and slashes through rocks, roots, tight corners, and silk singletrack. I've got over 100 miles logged on this ride in less than a month and can't wait to take 'er out into the woods again!

Similar Products Used: Marin Team Titanium hardtail
NEIL FACEY   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2007]
Strength:

Light,fast,tough anodised finish with laser etched logo's,looks very stealthy on the trails as only comes in black,tried lots of other top end hard-tails but this is by far the best and it was only £250.00 for the frame.Mines a 26"wheeled 18" version and the frame geometry is just right,with a nice slopy top tube and plenty of reach.

A little harsh,but aren't all hard-tails?

Great frame(flies down the malverns),if your after and cheap,light,very well made xc,trail,etc.mountain bike then look no further.