Norco Charger XC Hardtail

• Shimano 27speed drivetrain w/ Deore rear derailleur
  • RockShox Tora TK w/100mm travel

• User Reviews (28)

JustSumDad   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2015]
    Strength:

PRICE! This bike gives more for the $ than anything I was able to look for.
    Forks, the XC30 is better than anything in the price range.
    Brakes, feel is good, adjustable reach. Good system.

has a big ring instead of a bash plate, I fixed that.
    Seat is very uncomfortable for a girl, fixed that.
    Fork spring is too stiff for a small rider. LBS put in an air spring.

Overall any bike needs some customizing, this one needed little and worked well.
    This was for a small girl, got the 13" frame size 2014 7.2 for 750$ Can$
    Added 90$ for an air spring, tossed the big ring and put on a bash plate.
    Tossed the pedals, as I likely would for any new bike, never even tried them.
    After a week she complained the seat was bad, tried adjusting, but it was a mens seat.
    Got a woman's seat from MEC and she is happy now.
    This is a GREAT bike for tech single track, climbing, just a fun runabout that can do everything!
    I recommend it flat out for kids that can fit it, to begintermediate riders of all shapes and sizes.
    Once you start doing drops and other more advanced punishing stuff, you need more bike.
    I am thinking of getting a 9.2 for myself now.

Micko.777   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2015]
    Strength:

Great to ride, weight isn't to bad for what it is, one of best bikes I've riden it sticks In corners and excelerates well out of them. Front wheel can slide and is always easy to catch the bike I have 5 bikes and this is by far the best and cheapest.

The peddles where absolute rubish and wouldnt come off from new had to get the shop to remove them

2014 Norco charger 7.1 . One of the best bikes on the market at the price point, this bike is old stock and is currently 40% off.this bike is a joy to ride and was a bargain there are a couple of things I will change on it but over all a great package change the peddles as soon as you get it the stock peddles are ordinary at best so far this the only fault i can find with this bike I highly recomend it .

Similar Products Used: 2005 cannondale prophet, 2008 giant STP, 2003 trek bruiser 1, 2012 giant talon
    Scott Carnahan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2013]
    Strength:

Frame/Rockshox Fork/ Hayes Brakes/ Alivio shifters/Price

Most of the other components, but it's entry level and simular to other brands in this price range

Mine is a 2013 model 9.2 19in frame, I paid $875 US. I knew to try and get the best fork that I could in this price range, now the Rockshox XC30 is still a very entry level fork, but better than the Suntours most others in this price range. I researched Specialized/Giant/Trek/ Jamis/Raleigh/ and others I can't remember right off the top of my head, basically, the Norco was the best value, all frames are Pretty much the same, made in China/Taiwan ect and come with a lifetime warranty. All the components are pretty similar/ Acera/Alivio/Deore/ X5 or a combo there of. With the Norco I could get into the basic Rockshox XC30 for $875/ with the others it was about $1000 for either the XC28 or XC30, and I believe the Trek offered the XC32 for about $1100. For me I had to be as frugal as possible, I was buying my wife and I a bike and a bike trailer too, so the Norco offered the best component to price ratio. I've had it about a year now and now complaints. Mostly 75% on road commuting to work pulling the bike trailer around the neighborhood, and about 25% off-road mostly basic single track, some heavier xc/downhills stuff, the bike works great for what it is, and the frame is good enough to upgrade with better components in the future as the original stuff wears out. The fork is pretty good for this level, a little soft for my 185lbs but at least offered Rebound dampening and a greater range of Preload adjustment, at least compared to the Suntour XCT/M/R that most entry levels come with. The Hayes Breaks are great, and I really like the Alivio shifters a lot, they shift great and have numbers as a reference to what gear you are in.

Similar Products Used: YZF250/ EXC500. Just moto bikes haven't had a mountain bike in years, like 20 years ago an old Montgomery Ward steel framed 26in Mountian bike, must have weighed like 50 pounds.
    Aus-trailer   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2012]
    Strength:

cheap,shocks are good and the seat was comfy

bike totally disintegrated over a 6 month period. Shimano shifter fell apart after a month, chain link broke after 30km, lhs pedal bearings went at 300km, rear derailleur ripped off after 330kms. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of the 2011 model.

I used mainly as a commuter, so I wasn't riding it too rough. It spent more time during its life being fixed.Compared to my other bikes this one failed

Similar Products Used: Giant Sedona
    Gary Fisher
    Norco Bushranger
    paul_c33   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2011]
    Strength:

components included, light weight, ride quality, colour scheme and overall quality

can't really fault anything except may be rear QR skewer could be a bit better and the Wellg alloy pedal could have been double-sided?

Top quality bike with top Shimano drive-train, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes and WTB saddles and double walled rims. Nicely built frame which combine with the good components translate to a top quality ride! Over the years I had gone through quite a few bikes including Giants hardtails, All-Mountains dualies and more all cost much more than this bike but none of them compares to the ride quality of this bike and because of the light weight and the Shimano XT 29 speed, it just climbs so much better than anything else I have ridden. Since I bought this bike, I have ridden further and harder than I ever been. Highly recommended!

Similar Products Used: Giant, Crane, GT
    photoBear   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2010]
    Strength:

light strong frame, aestheticaly pleasing to look at. seems to stabilize at high speeds

thin paint, shimano disk brakes seem to always be a little soggy.

I baught this bike because of brand alliegance i'll admitt, my first good bike was an old norco kokanee, Ive always found norco frames to be really well designed & made.
    I like that the cables are all arranged very neatly along the frame and im not a fan of fancy frame designs like you'd find on a GT so Ive always been fond of bikes with traditional triangular frames.

I baught the diamond back as mentioned above because it was cheap and had good componants but it always felt cheap, it was heavy and the welds were messy and uneven, the cables seemed disorganised and when I rode it I always felt as if it wasnt as well put together as my old Kokanee.

So when I replaced it with the Charger in 08 my feelings were comfirmed this bike just felt right and it was so well designed and made.

Similar Products Used: Norco kokanee, Avanti comp xc, Diamond back vectra sport (replaced by charger)
    PissedOffCil   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2008]
    Strength:

- Relatively lightweight
    - Pretty sturdy

- The ride is rather harsh
    - The paint is crappy and chips easily

I got this 2008 frame back from warranty when I noticed my Storm started cracking. So I only rode this for around 300km this season and I have to say that it took me a while to feel comfortable on it. This was an over he winter build so many adjustments had to be done. I got it finally though after around 150km of fiddling with every thing on the bike and was really starting to love this frame. I've always found it to be pretty stiff though which can lead to a beating on those day-long rides. It was my main reason to change the frame and so I'm going with something that will be a little less punishing. Overall I'm pretty happy about this frame though, it hasn't let me down for the season and has reignited the fun of riding a hardtail after last year riding the Six most of the time. So I would reccommend it. Can't talk about the stock build though!!!

Similar Products Used: Norco Storm 2003, Norco Six One 2006
    tane crosby   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2008]
    Strength:

handeling tora fork is nice althouhg heavy it is buttery smooth . hayes 9 brakes are great and powerful.

deore deralieurs are crappy but at this price point what can you expect. a better wheelset would make the bike lighter although i havent had any problems with the alexrims (dm24) . seatpost is complete crap i got the 20" frame as i am 6"2 and the seatpost was way too small replacing this is reasonably cheap .

ive replaced almost all the drive train parts except cranks and front deraleur and the seatpost wich has made the bike lighter and a better overall performer it handles rough terain brilliantly and is fairly fast i have racing it regularily and am verry happy with the bike definately a good buy it also looks great

Zlatko   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2007]
    Strength:

Nice fork and brakes, impressive handling(aggressive geometry), bike is an eye-candy

Grips are crap, derailleurs could be better (sram instead of shimano), can be a bit slow on the road

Great looks, value and performance. Go and buy it!

Brad   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Looks mean and tough but not overbuilt. 7" hayes so1e have awesome stopping power. Marzocchi AM4 shocks are great and provide ample travel (125mm/5 inch)

Deore derailleurs need precise adjustment to work properly. I am worried about the reports of derailleur hanger on earlier models, mine looks the same as the old one??

Mine is the 2007 mod. A great bike with frame built for single track. Took it for a ride on tight flat sandy track and it was easy to cut into apexes and power out. Brakes were awesome in the sandy stuff I was going around in. Tyres were ok but I might get something a little chunkier for the sandy tracks. I will add more once I gain more experience with it.