Motobecane 500HT XC Hardtail

• RST Gila TL fork
  • Promax Disc Brakes
  • Black Anodized Aluminum Double Wall rims with Machined Sidewalls

AVLbiker   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2009]
Strength:

inexpensive, lightweight for price range, stout frame, stock WTB 2.1 Velociraptor tires

stock Rockshox Dart 1 fork; paint chips easily

initially I was lukewarm about this bike, which I bought used, but after my local LBS did a proper tuneup, it is a great ride. I chose to make some upgrades to the so-so Tektro brakes and weak Dart 1 fork. I am now very pleased with the setup. Handles well, lightweight, and feels solid. Excellent value for the money ... If I were
to purchase a Motobecane again, I would spend a little extra for the 700HT (better components) rather than the 500HT.

Similar Products Used: none, this is my first MTB
bloo   Weekend Warrior [Oct 21, 2008]
Strength:

price, solid frame, good entry level components, (Shimano Deore r-derailler, strong wheel/tire set, mech disk brakes,comfy saddle) for beginners

combo shifters do not feel comfortable;replaced bottom bracket after first 6 months as water got into it...my fault for power washing it at the car wash

This was my first mountain bike eva a 1.5 year ago! It has been tons of fun beating it up yet the frame keeps asking for more! It's a great bike for a beginner but as you gain some skills you will learn the limitations of some of the components and will start upgrading parts here and there. By far the most noticeable performance gained from upgrades have been from the shifters, wheels and tires...and the thudbuster.

If you're out looking for your first mountain mike without braking the bank, this is a great option. It deserves high marks for it's value.

Similar Products Used: compared to other entry level Treks, Specialized, Haro, Marin...could not believe the spec on the 500HT was better than these brands and costs less
Brian Wolf   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2006]
Strength:

Very durable, easy to control. NICE breaks (first time i've had disc brakes though), Good wheels.

My seat always slips down after a couple weeks, so i have to raise it and tighten it alot. The brakes need to be tightened often. Its not exactly the lightest bike either, but its ok.

Go to ebay.com to get your next bike. I got mine for like half price and it was new.

nate larson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2005]
Strength:

strong frame, awesome geometry, handles like very well. good componets. somewhat light

this bike to me seemed a little difficult to find(in texas) but when I found it(on ebay) I was glad. This bike is awesome. It feels and looks very solid, very well made. On the trails it handles so well. For the price there is nothing better. The disc brakes are promax and they could have put better ones on like hayes or something, but I so far so good. The brakes haven't failed me yet, they stop on a dime. If you are thinking about buying this bike then buy it, don't let the uncommon of the name drie you away. Motobecane is one of the oldest bike companies around, they even invented the dual suspension bike.

Similar Products Used: giant yukon, jamis dakar
Jake C   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2006]
Strength:

Price is one of the key componets that made me purchase this bike. The bike has a pretty beefy frame, but isn't too heavy. The stock parts held up pretty well. Stock Disc brakes are excellent and I haven't had any problems with em.

Rear cassette, I had to replace it after about 5 months of pretty active riding. The quick-release rear axle is nice at time but it tends to come loose after a bit.

This is a great bike for starting out. It didn't hit my wallet too hard. I am probably going to replace the front for though. It doesn't have enough travel for my riding. I have been extremely pleased with the bikes response and ability to stand up to my abuses. I can rip a bike apart, believe me.

Alex   Weekend Warrior [Oct 01, 2007]
Strength:

Very affordable price, good components for the price, good weight for price, looks good, seems to be a pretty solid frame.

No customer support from bikesdirect.com, rear wheel came not completely trued (if it wasn't, then it bent WAY too easily), have to assemble/set up a few things (I didn't really see this as a weakness...just FYI if you are thinking about buying one)

I love the bike. I ride some trails, uphill, downhill, rocky, smooth...like I said, I'm new to the sport...a few jumps here and there. This bike serves my purposes quite nicely. It brakes as well as I could ever need (it easily locks them up...so at that point it's really up to the tires and the terrain), the shock has enough travel, and once I dialed in the derailers (sp?) it has shifted smoothly ever since. I also ride it to school, and it works well for that; although the tires are way too knobby for efficient street use. It works, though. I would highly recommend this to someone looking to get into mountain biking. Excellent value for the money.

Similar Products Used: I tried my friends bike, can't recall the name, but it had a carbon fiber frame, hardtail with front shock; no other bikes I could identify by name.
Patrick Harmony   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2007]
Strength:

Very durable....Stock disc brakes work well.

seat loosens up every time i ride, and i have to tighten it alot....gears slip sometimes.

Good beginner bike... thats wat i am and i love it.

Similar Products Used: none
Aaron Hill   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2007]
Strength:

A fairly light frame.

Drive train components need some work but are still alright.

For the price of this bike I would take it over the hardrock almost anyday. Great for beginners getting into mountain biking.

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardrock
Carlos   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2004]
Strength:

A great starter bike. The frame is pretty sturdy and come with 6 inch disk brakes which is great for stopping. The M-wings saddle is so COMFORTABLE!

The tires it comes with arent the greatest for off road riding.

A great starter bike. I was big into road bikes before but my friend got me into mountain biking and this bike has been great to me. The original tires it came with are a little soft but work well. Overall I was impressed with how well this bike came set up. Disk brakes, shimano derailurs f/b, M-wings saddle and bars. Highly recommend if this is your first mountain bike. prices between 400-800 depending on what kinda fork and brakes you get it with. WELL WORTH the price! Check EBAY.