Motobecane 400HT XC Hardtail

• Forged Aluminum V Brakes
  • Forged aluminum Crankset
  • M-Wings Aluminum Bar

rockhoppermtb   All Mountain Rider [Jul 21, 2016]
Strength:

Stiff frame, good component set, comfortable geometry

Heavy

Bought one of these about 6-7 years ago to get my wife onto a bike and then (unfortunately) sold my Specialized to get one for each of us. For an intro bike for mountain biking this thing is stellar. At $330-350 its hard to beat a bike spec'd out the way these are. We have each been thrashing ours for several years and they hold up well. Frames are solid despite many scratches, drops, crashes. I've lately been using mine at the bike park as a jumper and it holds up surprisingly well, even with the stock wheels. We eventually upgraded to hydraulic brakes, but other than that both of our bikes haven't changed. Great universal/all around bike. We primarily use ours as urban/commute bikes now, but still occasionally take to the trails. If you are looking for a great introductory bike to mountain biking and are competent with working on them, definitely consider the Motobecane 400HT or any of their others like the 500HT, 427HT, 429HT etc. So much better than the $200 bike you would buy at Target or Wal-Mart.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Hardrock
don   [Oct 13, 2013]
Strength:

Affordable,good entry level compoments

wheels

I've had my 400ht for 6 years now.I am very happy with my purchase.I ride 150-200 miles a week on and off road.besides normal wear and tear the only complaint I have is the wheelset isn't very strong.I have since upgraded to some single tracks.
It's like any other bike, lasts as long as you take care of it. kinda hate raining on the bike shop guys,but I have a trek 4300,and a specilized rockhopper.The 400 ht is much better equipped component wise.

stacyk   Weekend Warrior [May 03, 2010]
Strength:

Great Beginner Mtn Bike

Although the crank is sram (truVativ) it is the Iso Flow the X flow woulkd have been a better grab , also why put Shimano parts?????????

I Love my HT, especially now, I had the canvas I just need to paint it the way I wanted, Why buy a bike that you have to settle for, build your bike from the ground up as long as you have a good frame under you your good, oh and P.S DO NOT TRY TO WARRANTY ANYTHING FROM MOTOBECANE THEY WILL NEVER HONOR THERE WARRANTIES N E V E R !!!!!!!!!

flydog   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2010]
Strength:

Very good frame that has held up well to abuse so far. Excellent brakes.

Extremely heavy and uses cheap knockoff parts that bikedirect.com has manufactured under licensing (for example, the Truvativ crank). Many components have failed and had to be replaced, including the crank (fell off after 200 miles) and rear derailleur.

The bike comes disassembled without any instructions. When I contacted bikesdirect.com for help, they said try "google"

Bikesdirect is misleading when it compares this bike to a "$750 Trek" A Trek has better components and will last much longer. I have probably spent a total of $500 between repairs and upgrades.

While the price is seductive, it is merely a down payment because you will be repairing or replacing parts as they break or fall off.

Similar Products Used: Trek
Jamesrf36   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

used to work at bike shop when I was a kid, after full tune
up and changing seat,and fixing the flat tires..over all great starter mountain bike..

Brakes SUCK...

After reporting I found it while hiking, and know one claimed it...IT'S definitely worth 300.00 dollars

Similar Products Used: better than something like a Motiv HighRidge
sshorebiker   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2009]
Strength:

good brakes, derailers, wheels

crank is junk. service at bikesdirect no help.

For the money it's a good bike. If you beat on it watch out. Added nashbar pedals pedals to it. first good uphill surge ripped the pedal (threads in tact) out of the cheap crank. Impresssed with the brakes. After dialing them in they're a good value.

baboonboy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2009]
Strength:

Shipped immediately, arrived in 2 1/2 days, easy to assemble, very nice frame, looks better than in the pictures, all the components were as advertised - by far the best-bang-for-the-buck.
Great service from BIKESDIRECT.

Initial derailer cable length issue - but replacements sent immediately. Nothing else - bike is great.

I would 100% recommend this purchase for a 9 to 13 year old kid who mountain bikes 3 or 4 times a week.

Similar Products Used: IBEX 550
GT Stomper (24" wheels)
pago   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2008]
Strength:

Handlebars, Color, Disk Brakes, Weight, Smooth Ride

Seat Uncomfortable, Cassette A Bit Weak, Shifting

A good bang for the buck. Bikes cost a lot more now than they ever used to so I was shocked that $350 doesn't get all that much anymore. It's a decent bike to cut your teeth on and I appreciate only paying for upgraded parts - while labor is free forever. For the budget conscious, its a decent deal. If you have more to spend, there's better around.

Similar Products Used: None Really, Huffy
beatitup   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2008]
Strength:

Strong Fram and great components for the price

Low end WTB Saddle crushed 2 in 2 weeks, and junk pedles will kill your legs.

Entry level yes but lacks nothing in the guts department Im 6'5" And 265lbs I ride the thing like I stole it and I've been very impressed with it You can't beat the bike for the cash. When I upgrade I most definatly sticking with MOTOBECANE!

Similar Products Used: specialized hard rock pro.
Evan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2007]
Strength:

Looks great. Paint job is fantastic. Light weight aluminum frame. WTB Tires.

Haven’t found one yet. But still looking. The disc brakes are good. The decals are painted on….not stickers so you can not take them off.

I bought this from bikesdirect.com and am happy with them and the bike. You get what you pay for. One thing to be aware of is that the bike will need to be built and tuned. I spent the $70 to have a LBS do that for me b/c putting together disc brakes, tuning the brakes, shifters, front/rear derailers etc… was not something I could do. And the manuals are pretty much useless. In the end I paid the same if not more than I would have spent on the Specialized Hardrock. But I would do it all over again b/c it is a good bike. If you know what you are doing and can build a bike yourself (or dont mind having a LBS do it for you) this is the bike for you.