Marin Pioneer Trail XC Hardtail

The Alloy HT series combines off road durability with performance components for active riders. Lightweight, double-butted 6000 series Edge 3 tubing is mated to comfortable Marin Sport geometry, placing riders in an upright riding position.

Ronnie   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2014]
Strength:

Riding Position, Disc Brakes, Light Weight

Seat, Pedals

I purchased this bike used from the original owner. It was obviously not ridden very much as the tires were original and still had little nubs on them.

The first time I rode the bike I was disappointed with the seat and the pedals. No problem. I put on my shimano clipless pedals as well as my Specialized Phenom seat (along with my Thomson Elite seat post) and all my prayers were answered. I had previously been riding a Giant AC-1 which is an unbelievable bike, but it's SOOOO heavy. Since most of my riding is on bike trails, fire roads, horse trails etc, I felt confident this bike would be up to the "challenge".

It rolls very easily and it's so lightweight it seems to explode from a dead stop. This is now my 3rd Marin mountain bike having previously owned a Muir Woods and a Nail Trail. Each one gets progressively better than the last.

It has a fairly upright riding position and I've been on several 3 hours rides with ZERO discomfort.

I've seen complaints about the shifters however I'm OK with them. They shift quietly and smoothly. The front derailleur did dump the chain one time. I made a half turn adjustment and it's never done it again. At some point, I may change them out just because I like to tinker with stuff. I might have too much disposable income...

This was the first Pioneer Trail I've seen on CraigList which leads me to believe most owners are quite happy with them. If you ever do see one, I suggest you pick it up. They are an AMAZING value.

Similar Products Used: Marin Nail Trail, Marin Muir Woods, Bridgestone RB-1, Giant AC-1
jenario   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2013]
Strength:

Quality frame, decent components, and price.

Shock, pedals, and front derailleur.

I purchased the 15" disc brake model, retails at $599. It's a great entry-level XC mtb for the price. I've used it as my trail bike and as my daily commuter. Bike came with Geax Saguro tires (2.2 front/2.0 rear). They are good fast rolling all around tires but the grip on pavement is severely compromised once you get into higher psi, so be careful. I ride mostly XC and some light AM and DH. When riding trails, I put a 2.5 Maxxis High Roller up front and put the 2.2 Geax Saguro in the rear, which helps make up for the the crap Suntour fork. The fork does have a lock out which is nice for the climbs up here in Lake Tahoe. The pedals blow, replace them ASAP, you will slip off of them in rocky areas. The Shimano integrated shifters are comfortable and easy to reach. Mechanically, they do just fine and I've had no problems so far, but some people hate them. I ride 5-6 days a week and the shifting is still pretty smooth. On the other hand the Shimano M190 front derailleur has failed me several times lately. Not sure where the problem is here, but might just need some minor adjusting. Frame build is strong and the geometry seems to be on point. Feels real solid and makes me want to keep the bike and upgrade the components rather than just upgrading to a whole new bike. My upgrades: front tire, pedals, shorter stem, and wider handlebars; eventually a new fork. Who should buy this bike? Someone that wants to start mountain biking but does not want to spend a whole lot. There are also 2 other lower end models at a significantly lower price.

Gordon   [Jul 12, 2012]
Strength:

Switching from off-road, to woodsy trails and back to city streets is amazingly simple and an enjoyable experience!

None, as of yet, great bike for the money!

Would highly really recommend this bicycle company, a very rugged bike.

spankdog   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2009]
Strength:

The frame, neck and bars. Looks unique and tuff.

None. I cant cant complane when I got what I paid for.

I and my wife both purchased these together after test riding a few others brands. I used to be an avid motocrosser and trail rider and whanted something to play around in the woods on as well as ride the bike paths with the family. I didnt what to spend a fortune the first time out until I dicided if mountain biking was for me. I have been out on this bike every other day on all kinds of terrain and its works great and never let me down. Great bike for the $$$ and I still have the cash to upgrade stuff when as it wears out.