Marin Pine Mountain XC Hardtail

Marin Pine Mountain XC Hardtail

[Jan 31, 2012]
Firepoint24

Strength:

Great geometry and components. Skareb (spelling?) shock works well and I had no problems with it for the last seven years. Fantastic steel frame.

It is not made anymore.

I am posting this just in case you are trying to get your hands on this bike. I had mine for seven years and traded up to a full suspension Kona Dawg due to a back injury. I love this bike and wish I could ride it forever. The components were middle to high end and lasted. Hayes brakes were a little temperamental but a little TLC and care and there will be no problems. The shock was great and the bike is very light.

Marin Eldridge Grade

[Mar 15, 2009]
Old Fat Guy

Strength:

I have had this bike for about 18 years and it is still a way cool bike. I toured it across America on street tires, I hammered it on the Pine Mt look and all over N. CA

Some components were weak, but I have broken everything and replaced everything at least once.

This bike has served me well for thousands of miles and I weigh quite a bit over 200lbs. I have ridden roads, single track, fire trails, steep rutted rocky trails, ridden in a pelaton with road bikes on a century, Loaded it with camping gear and bottles of wine.

The bike I have is nothing like the new Pine Mt. But was still near top of the line when I got it. My point, this model has some history and pedigree, has served me more that well and is great value.

[Nov 18, 2008]
mannylap

Strength:

Prize I paid, Columbus steel frame, great components, lightweight fork, and low profile color...

Not much, for just tires, WTB was trash tire, change it for Smoke/Dart duo

Very stiff for a steel frame (not like my old jello steel Kona), almost quick as my old EastonBrodie, but more confortable. It is a great climber and single tracker.

Kona CinderCone

[Oct 16, 2005]
hoyo

Strength:

Excellent disc brakes. Good all around performer. Good price point.

Atrocious pedals. WTB clipless were virtually useless. Changed to shimanos.

Excellent all round bike. Climbs well, very responsive bike. Hayes hydraulic brakes are reassuring on steep crumbly descents. A good overall value.

[Mar 31, 2007]
Kiekelly

Strength:

2004 White Marin Pine Mountain. Classic Looks, gorgeous Triangular Steel Tubing. Superb acceleration, as lightweight as many Ally bikes.

Rust Prone if dented and spotted or cared for! The rear Mech mount is slightly exposed as a another review has noted.

Superb ride, extremely capable bike & looks great. Can hold it's own against anything Cross Country.

[Sep 17, 2006]
Bob

Strength:

very comfortable steel bike, don't feel the bumps like aluminum bikes. good geometry, tough, will last and last.

derailleur hanger is part of frame. Not the lightest at 28 pounds, but lighter than a many Aluminum bikes with Disc brakes.

(for 1998 model) In spite of being 8 years old this bike rocks. I cannot ride an aluminum bike comfortably after riding this smooth bike.

Fuji, Cannondale

[May 02, 2006]
Cory

Strength:

The fork is nice and plush, mine has leaked air before but a few pumps with a fork pump fixes that. Light frame.

Where do I start? Lets see I stripped the rear-hub last spring and WTB has not been very helpful at all in this matter. The hub is still in the shop! But, this isn't a review about the components, it's for the bike. Last Saturday I was riding uphill when I lost all power. i stopped and looked down and noticed that the derailure had snapped (at least thats what it looked like). Upon further inspection I noticed that it wasn't the derailure at all, but it was the derailure hanger. This is not fixable and now I'm without a bike for the season. I am not happy.

This bike was excellent when it was working. Unfortunately that was not very often. Unless you like having a lot of down time, I would not recomend this bike.

[Aug 14, 2005]
John

Strength:

The frame is steel, disc only,frame geometry, and the MARIN name. $225.00 for this ride? This steel frame with almost any frame builders name on it would be $1,000.00

Not enough people know how good these bikes really are compared to other bikes costing 100's or 1,000's more in the same genre of bikes.

I have riden Rocky Mountain, Diamond Back, Kona, KHS (another great company), and Cannondale (not such a great company anymore) over the last 10 years. This steel ride is the best I have ever ridden. I prefere steel to anything else, but I also understand the value of alum. I don't ride it, but I get it.
Marin has put together in this frame a fast climbing, quick handling, smooth of the bumps, frame. The Columbus tubing is like no other. Hard to explain, but it is almost like the bike knows what is next and takes care of the nasty stuff for you.
Could you jump on it? If you has to. Could you downhill? Who wants to anyway? If you want your last bike to be right up there with the big boys of steel (Gunner,Kona,etc..) while living in the real world with money left for the kids college fund, then try a Marin. You will not be in the wrong.

TT Lite, ox platinum, reynolds, cromo, carbon fiber, and alum frames.

[Dec 12, 2004]
James Bennett

Strength:

Smooth ride. light weight with steel. Great hydro brakes. sweet fork/lockout Best frame i have ridden

ended up changeing pedals. Graphics lack of colors

Love this bike till it was stolen from second floor balcony. Hard to think of finding differnt replacement. for Price and components it is awsame. I kept upgrading till I got to this bike. The only upgrade plained was XT crank, but did not have chance.

Specialized rockhopper. Gary Fisher Tassi

[Jul 25, 2004]
Mister Big

Strength:

Smooth Cadillac ride, awesome brakes, generally well put together and thought out. I replaced my 1997 Cannondale F900 Killer V which was stolen by some dirtbag. My initial reaction was to buy another Cannondale (M600), but thankfully I ran into a helpful aquaintance who pointed me to a friend who worked at a local LBS. He educated me about the benefits of a steel frame. I didn't believe him, but did my research on the internet and he was right. Steel is real. Even though this bike may be a pound or two heavier (especially with the disc brakes) than my Cannondale, i ride faster on this bike, climb better, and feel better at the end of the ride. It's really nice on the downhill and fast on the level road.

Decales are lame "Marin Mountain Bikes". Yeah, we known it's a mountain bike, why do we have to spell it out on the actual mountain bike itself?

Before you buy an aluminum bike, give the steel bikes a try. This or the Bianchi Dinali. Ride over some bumpy stuff and feel the difference. It's a Cadillac ride, man!