Kona Lana'i XC Hardtail

Kona Lana'i XC Hardtail

You feel the forest calling you. That longing to cruise past great green fields and the edge of wilderness. And it's real. At Kona, we've been making awesome mountain bikes since 1988. It's that same call that sucked us into this business over 20 years ago. We know where you need to go. The 2012 Lanai is designed to get you there.

• Suntour SF-XCT 100mm fork
  • ProMax mechanical disc brakes
  • Shimano gearing
  • Vittoria tires

• USER REVIEWS

[May 09, 2018]
    McKenzieRiverTrail

Strength:

Beautiful bike with a rock solid frame. Rides better than other comparable bikes we've tried or owned. Our company does bike rentals for the McKenzie River Trail and we've switched to this bike for our entire entry level mountain bikes. Previous bikes in this class just didn't hold up to the beating they got on the trail.) Our guests are loving the new Kona Lana'i bikes.

They are configured with some basic components - which is exactly what you'd expect from bikes in this price range. Want a nicer ride - you'll pay a lot more for a decent full suspension bike. Try the Kona Process or Hei Hei. We got in a couple new Kona Process 153s - and OMG - what a sweet ride!

Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2018
    [Jul 24, 2013]
    michal

Strength:

frame is strong

pedals are slippery
    brakes take a while to stop should change the pads
    deraileur hanger is a bit to weak i would replace it

its a good bike but needs some maintenance and replaced parts

[Jul 22, 2013]
    Steven K.
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The frame is indestructible...have had no probs with the brakes ...shifting....or ANYTHING....on this bike.Only mods have been avid disc rotors and Continetal tires.Will put new fork on as soon as I wear this one out....could be a while.....probably a Suntour Raidon.....love the bike and intend to keep it and upgrade as I go...AWESOME BIKE!

The SEAT

Live in Rapid City ,SD and the trail riding here is great.....looked at Specialized...Marin...Trek...Scott....and many other bikes before buying the Kona....price is right....quality incredible......great bike KONA.....but hell...don't take my word for it....Ride one....itll speak for itself

[Nov 17, 2012]
    Jon

Strength:

Great frame, rides really well, good balance between responsiveness and stability. Fork works well once you set preload right and bed it in after a few miles. Did I mention the great ride?........ Yes?........ Ok, just thought I'd say it again - it's the best thing about it, how it feels, that's the important bit.

Budget components adequate but not light, mechanical discs perform worse than a decent v-brake set up. Gearing ok but not the smoothest, benefits from careful set up and lubrication. Change that awful saddle! Other than that no problems.

Take into consideration where this bike sits in the market, it's a budget recreational hardtail not intended to be used for hardcore riding. That said, for the money you cannot fault it. It has a quality feel and retains that Kona ride quality I remember from my old Lava Dome years ago. Yes there are lighter better equipped bikes out there but at this price point you get a great fun to ride package that does exactly what it's designed to - put a great big smile on your face. If you're not an xc racer, stunt nut or if your buget is limited this bike is highly recommended. I am very happy with it, particularly as I got a good discount with it being an end of season model being shifted to make way for 2013 stock. Nice bike Kona, superb value for money, well done.

Kona Lava Dome

[Jun 28, 2012]
    Thor

Strength:

Have not had any luck with this bike

Pedals are garbage, rear de-railer was not tuned and always jumps gears from day 1, the breaks are weak and scream after less then 4 km of riding normally on the street.

Waste of Time and Money
    I spent over 65 days to get my bike replaced after the frame broke at the weld. I got a new bike and have had nothing but problems and it is a major headache. I had to buy new pedals after the first ride.

[Jul 24, 2011]
    Dunior

Strength:

Verylight and agile feeling. Tough I am 220 lbs and kind of beet the crap out of it and it had not problems. Wife was very surprized at all the new things I did on this bike that I would not do on my Trek 4300. Even took on the right hand jumps at the Vortex. I am very impressed with this bike.

Pedals

Great bike, I really like it alot.

Trek 4300 disk brake, Gary Fisher 29r.

[Jun 22, 2011]
    Scuba Steve
    Downhiller

Strength:

Good Starting bike!

In the year I have had to replace the pedals and the chain. With free lifetime labor and tuneups the bikes not bad. Mostly sealed components. I Ride Reeeeaaaaallllyyy hard... So if your comfortable its a good bike!

Its a great bike to grow with and learn. Mine now has Avid Juicy Disc Brakes, WTB pedals, Kenda Nevegal signature series 2.3 tires and ODI grips.
    I just wish I had a Dual Suspension!!!!

[Jun 10, 2011]
    Reptar
    Downhiller

Strength:

Nothing.

Everything.

Bought this bike brand new in January of 2011. The first day I got it I ran into all sorts of problems. The seat and handlebars constantly come loose making it impossible to ride any sort of trails. Gear problems from day one as well. In all my years of riding, I have never experienced such a terrible bike and am extremely dissapointed in it.

[Apr 30, 2011]
    VanGhoul

Strength:

Nice smooth ride and really versatile, which is great for entry-level bikes like this.

I've had some troubles with the brakes.

I use this mostly for city riding (going to work, the park, etc.), but I mostly go off the trails everyday. Great for just jumping over a curb and trailblazing, spur of the moment.

[Aug 18, 2009]
    lovintherocks

Strength:

????? Seat was comfortable paint held up alright nice components and the pedals were nice for stock.

Forks were weak, rims bent easily, frame felt shaky, handlebars weak.

This bike is too high price I am sure it would do fine for a more timid rider maybe one who likes to just take a simple route. Although for me with the curb jumps the bike felt like it was going to break right under me and i am a light weight 140 lbs.