Kona Kula Deluxe XC Hardtail

The ultimate hardtail cross-country shred machine. Featherlight, power hungry, speed addicted, the Kula Deluxe incorporates a new integrated headset for more stability in the front end, our lightning quick, crazy light and super durable Kona Race Light Scandium Butted frameset, and top of the totem components. The perfect ride for discerning cross-country lungbusters.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2015]
Strength:

Very fast bike, but fun geometry. Has been an excellent and versatile bike.

Seat tube angle was a touch too slack for steep hills.

I my 2009 Kona Kula Deluxe like a rented mule for 5 seasons. The parts spec was so good, I transferred most of the original equipment to a new frame in 2015. The frame is outstanding. It is light and tough and power transfer to the back wheel is immediate. The geometry on the bike was fantastic. It could climb stairs and gnarly trail and was super confident on descents. Kona really got things right on this bike. I swapped the frame for a Chromag this year, but kept it in the garage all the same because I loved the bike so much.

carlos123   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2011]
Strength:

Yep it is crazy light, stiff and responsive

Super long stem making bars way too far forward.

super happy with how fast this thing transitions from corners, standstills and uphill bursts. I definately had to change the bar setup though. I got the 19" large and am 5,11" and still found the bars tough to reach. once i had swapped them it still held a great line and you can still get heaps of power if not more through your pedals without breaking your neck and back. The original stem is 120ml and the bars almost flat which are the only out of box mark downs from me.

I got mine for 1,400 aud which is a crazy bargain so don`t think they`re not out there.

Similar Products Used: piece of junk i built 1 yr ago from fluid, shogun and other bits... almost worth doing to appreciate this one in hindsight???
Antoine   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight/Strong/ride well/Cool to watch

...

Bought this Kona Kula with Easton Ultra Lite Tubing 10 years ago. I used other bikes but i always kept my old kona kula cause i love it. It had a lot of different setup but always feel good.
It is really good to ride it, with good maneuvring abilities and excelent performance. It is quite comfortable and allow ultra light bike.

There are other brand that make good frame on this market but the kula is as good as the best with two cool different things:
The ultra sloping look (at least in 1999 it was revolutionary in XC) and the painting is cool too. Mine is metallic purple red with big Kona Tagged on bottom tube and a nice looking fork axle with a forest draw. It as a lot of scratch everywhere to prove it thousands ride !

Similar Products Used: Specialized S-Works HT
mafalf   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2010]
Strength:

Handles phenomenonally, lightweight, XT components, shifts crisply, looks good, holds up.

Rarely ever use the smallest front ring, should have an option without it to save weight.

This is the bike that made me ride more, use it for regular rides and races. Scandium frame has held up excellent, have dumped the bike enought times and not problems it. Very fun, very fast bike, good components on 2008 model too.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper
pete   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2010]
Strength:

super light, great geometry

haven't found it yet

This bike flies. My last 3 bikes have all been hardcore hardtails (Kona Scab, Norco Bigfoot, Santacruz Chameleon), but then I crashed and wrecked my shoulder. So I decided to stop going airborne, shed some weight off the bike and start doing cross-country. The combination of Kula frame and carbon forks is virtually weightless, and the geometry is spot on for going fast. Addictively fast. In fact I'm getting as much of a speed kick as I used to from getting air. Only been riding it a few weeks, but love it. Don't think I'd pay full price for it though (frame and forks cost me 320 pounds off ebay)

S3dINS   Weekend Warrior [Nov 16, 2009]
Strength:

Great all round set up with very nice spec. I found the frame, wheels (FSA XC 300), brakes and forks all worked well together.

Took me a whle to get the forks ideally tuned to my weight and riding style but once they were sorted the ride was very smooth.

The stock wheels have taken some pretty brutal punishment since I've had the bike but they still run absolutely true.

The brakes were strong straight from the box but there was a small warp in both discs which I will put down to the facing on the hubs being incorrect, since I've refaced the front wheel and the warp has disappeared. After bedding the discs in the brakes have just got better and better.

Stock tyres where very skittish on roots so I replaced them with Continental Mountain King 2.2s but haven't ridden it since replacing.

The ride position was way to streched out for me due to the very long stem and almost flat bar, so I have replaced the stem with a raceface eveolve stubby stem and will be throwing away the bars in favour of some 2" risers.

Squeeky discs due to bad hub facing.

As an out of the box product, this bike has suprised me. I thought I would need to upgrade or switch out more items than I have. The controls were really the only thing letting it, and me down.

Ideal for racers and able XC riders alike. Price would put off anyone who rides less than once/twice a week on a good trail.

Don't buy this bike unless you intend to be a regular rider or you'll be throwing your money away.

If you suffer with back problems be prepared to changw the controls to better suit you.

Similar Products Used: '99 Kona Lava Dome, '95 Marin Nail Trail.
keekabump   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2009]
Strength:

light weight

its unbalanced the front feels very weak maybe the forks

it doesnt feel right when i cycle it

Similar Products Used: none
Life and Liberty   Racer [Apr 06, 2009]
Strength:

This is a fantastic hardtail. I have had it for 4 years (I own the 2004) and I just started racing it after I replaced the drive train and wheels. This bike rolls strong. I have gone through 5 derailleur hangers & this bike keeps on truckin.

The stock wheels were not so hot, so I rode them into the ground (broke the front axle, and burned out the cones and inner faces on the rear, broke 3 spokes on the rear)and replaced. All that wear and tear still took 4 years. Over this time period I went through 2 different bottom brackets. So given that I rode a lot, and was hard on my equipment I still managed to get some substantial wear out of my wheels.

Now, I do ride a lot, and I am hard on my gear. However, this bike frame has stood the test of time. Kona makes some frames that ride distinctly, and when I say that I speak of the 69.5 head tube angle. Not quite as steep as many modern race hardtails, but you can tell when you take small jumps and barrel around corners. The bike tracks exceptionally well.

Buy this bike if you want a hard tail you can put through any kind of XC punishment you like. I never took this bike into the "All Mountain" territory and beyond, so that may account for why this bike has held up so well. As far as I can tell, this bike will ride forever if it is not abused. The newer models are made with Scandium. That is more-better from my perspective. It is stronger & lighter, so that is a safe bet. The bike I have is the Easton Ultralite, and I never met a bike made of that ally I did not like.

This has been a dream bike for me - a very enthusiastic rider on a budget. Buying things that last makes sense, and that is why I went with a Kona.

Similar Products Used: I rode a Schwinn High Plains before I got this bike... so I have not used anything similar. I started mountain biking on a huffy in 1995. I been riding a long time & have tried out a number of different bikes.
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2009]
Strength:

Frame weight and geometry, not to mention the beautiful TIG beads; Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9XC disc brakes-stops on a dime even in mud; and the Fox Vanilla shocks, the travel and the positive comments by others who used my bike.

A noise made by either the rear derailleur (Shimano Deore XT) or ?. I can't figure it out. It could have been the kid at the bike shop who bent it 'back' into shape during a tune up. However, it does not take away from the smooth ride.

A very complete mountain bike. No problems going up and down hills. Great control. After 2+ wonderful years, it still rides smoothly. Even though I own a road bike, I use the Kona as a 26 mile commuter (round trip) to work. I wish I owned this bike during college because it can handle earth as well as concrete.

Similar Products Used: None. Sorry, my other bikes are a lot different (road, bmx, and full sus.). The other mountain bikes I've tested (or owned) do not compare. When I purchased the Kona, it came down between that and a Rocky Mountain (it has been a while, forgot which model...my bad).
jobrienau   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2008]
Strength:

Great light Frame, awesome geometry

Most of the parts on it except for the Hayes Nine brakes and Shimano LX running gear are garbage.

This bike is exceptionally fast. The geometry is not for the faint of heart. It will rail corners at entry speed provided you have great handling skills to hold it there. It is a single track race bike. However the Sun Rims are close to dangerous they are that bad. I had a front wheel fold up on a steep decent at speed without hitting anything too major. The rear rim has held together for a while although it is now splitting through the centre at every spoke hole! and it hasn't done much dirt track work.All the Easton EA30 gear such as seat post and stem have broken with not much excuse for doing so. Great frame just upgrade these parts. This bike is aimed at entry level with parts to make it cheap but the geomtry and frame is for advanced racers.