Kona Hoss XC Hardtail

300lbsGorilla   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2011]
Strength:

Very strong, very stiff. Held up well to a pounding.

Heavy, but then so am I. Price you pay to know the bike will not crumble below you.

Original saddle is weak.

This Bike has seen some punishment. I started on this bike at 320lbs. I am below 250 now and it is still going strong. It can take some punishment. I went over the bars a few times at the 320 mark and not even an untrue rim. I am cranked HARD on the pedals without problems. I have bombed downhills and off drops. It doesn't phase this bike at all. I have taken a few 3-5 hour trail rides on it and it just keeps coming back for more. I put some upgraded brakes on it because I like to know I can stop. I have been on too many bikes where I was going down hill and would wounder if I could stop if I needed to. I went through a few saddles on it until I found the SDG ibeam. Good upgrade too.

Good bike for the big guy go go ride and have fun. Not good for racing.

nauc   Weekend Warrior [Jan 28, 2010]
Strength:

Frame, Fork, Brakes, Shifters, DR's, Cranks, Wheels, Tires, Looks, and Weight.

None that I can think of.

This bike is awesome. The brakes singed loud at first but I ran them hard (they did great) and now they're silent. Freakin love this bike. Zero regrets. Can't wait to go riding again.

Similar Products Used: Trek 6500, Cannondale F4, Rockhopper SL.
GoremanX   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Awesome frame, super stiff and looks great. Can take a beating. Most of the components are more than adequate for XC riding.

Some of the components are under-spec'ed for this application. The wheels were especially lame. The original pedals that came on mine (2006 Hoss) were beyond weak.

I originally bought a base 20" Kona Hoss on special back in 2006. That bike served me exceedingly well for years. It was my first new bike since my teenage years, and I learned how to ride all over again with it. While none of the original components were especially impressive (mostly base Shimano Deore drivetrain and cable disc brakes), they functioned well and lasted for the life of the bike.

The only real let-down was the wheelset, which suffered some serious damage on rather tame trails. They kept bending, I kept getting them trued, and then they'd bend again. Spokes would snap frequently. Overall, I'll never be going anywhere near Alex Rims DM24's again.

The frame was especially impressive. I'm 6'1" and I started out weighing 325 pounds when I bought the bike. It never complained about my bulk. It was always super-stiff and strong, with no give whatsoever. I now weigh 260 pounds (and dropping), and I owe most of that to this bike.

Unfortunately, there was an accident recently and the bike had to be replaced. I decided to just order a new bare Hoss frame and outfit it with the components I've always wanted. I also decided on a 22" frame this time, since I always felt a little cramped on the 20" one. The 2008 frame looks gorgeous in bright metallic blue, and the 22" size is perfect for me. There have been some minor updates to the frame, like revised cable routing for the rear brakes and derailleur.

This new bike feels amazing. It gives me the confidence to tackle obstacles I never would've considered before. The frame is still incredibly stiff, but the 22" size has given me tons more flexibility to adjust my riding position any way I want. By comparison, my step-dad's Jamis XC 2.0 feels soft and squishy, and my girlfriend's Kona Blast is unresponsive and boring.

Unfortunately, Kona got rid of the low-end Hoss model and only offers the more expensive one (which is no longer dubbed "Deluxe"). I know for a fact that I never would've bought mine 3 years ago if it had cost $1199. But anyone can order a bare frame through their Kona dealer and build it to their own specs like I did, so budget Hoss builds are still possible.

I wouldn't call mine "budget" though... the MSRP of all the combined components I picked is $2800, before any taxes!!! Hurray for eBay!

Value: 5 flaming chilies for the original price of $699 of my 2006 Hoss. I would give less if I were rating the current $1199 Hoss.

Overall: 5 flaming chilies for an overall awesome bike, with a truly spectacular frame at a dirt-cheap price.

Similar Products Used: 2005 Kona Blast, Jamis XC 2.0
steveo   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2009]
Strength:

good frame, tires and shifters, rims

warranty, crank set, brakes, seat, free wheel rear hub,would prefer an anodized frame

This is a 2007 model, since then I have changed some of the problem components. The old hayes sole brakes were horrible, leaked,failed, the wtb seat bent within 6 months,I`m about 220 Lbs and ride XC. the isis crank arms bent and the rear free wheel seized up. they have all been replaced with different comp, kona warranty wasn`t good for anything. They attibuted it to crash damage. Give me a break. My next bike won`t be a kona because of the poor warranty support. It seems they don`t stand behind there product. Maybe if you bought a $5000.00 bike. I can`t say, I won`t be buying one. I`ll probably go giant next, my friend has one and the warranty support has been excellent

Similar Products Used: haven`t used another hard tail
Congo_elrosso   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2009]
Strength:

Awesomely stiff & strong frame, great geometry. For the price I'm surprised how well most of the original parts held up.

Originally had an 07 DJ 4 fork on it which was pretty crappy, although functional enough. The hayes sole brakes were a bit weak.

This is the best bang for buck hardtail bike I ever had, even better now that I've switched the front fork & brake. The 09 Hoss looks like an even better deal I suggest any heavy riders out there to seriously consider this bike.

Similar Products Used: 02 Caldera, 04 Hammer
jfrance   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent geometry, wanted a smaller frame for hardtail freeride, I am 6'2" and used an 18" and still have plenty of room to move about. Bike was trashed when I purchased off ebay, came free with fork I had bought, $60 khaki powder coat good as new.

None so far.

I love this bike, I build it as something to jump on and beat up, and it has grown into my favorite. I see no need to sell the bike as it gets scratched or chipped from use, being aluminum its cheap and easy and possible to pick nearly any color, to have powder coated and looking as new or better as the day you bought it. Fine a frame you love, everything else is an easy fix.

Similar Products Used: Kona Lava Dome, Airborne Lucky Strike
krazy kat   Racer [Feb 10, 2009]
Strength:

very strong frame forks are bullet proof

mechanical discs are a pain to keep adjusted wish it had more front end tavel

I have put this bike through hell and back multiple times riding through trails that should only be ridden by downhill bikes and the hoss was asking for more so far this is the most durable bike i have ever ridden

Viking74   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff, stiff, stiff. All the power you can generate reaches the rear wheel.For stock tires the roll good.

Front fork is crap, 6"rotor is crap.

I am 6' 275 lbs and NOT a fatarse and beat the crap out o my bikes and so far my Hoss is the best bike I have ever owned. It makes my Gary fisher feel like a wet noodle.

The only problems that I had were, that the front fork was useless on anything but pavement (unless you are a little guy) and the fork was sooooo weak I had to replace it before I broke it in.

Also the 6" rotor for a clydesdale bike is total crap. I had to sand the brake pads after every ride until I put my avids on.

Don't get me wrong I love my Kona and will always own one, but if you are going to make a beefy bike make sure the components match the frame.

Similar Products Used: GF bigsur
fatass69er   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2008]
Strength:

fantastic frame good geomatry it come swith good tyres and easy to ride, it is surprisingly light easy to jump

crappy shifters needs 130mm travel forks atleast

a fantastic bike iwould reccomend it to anyone ive never had any problems with mine i thaught i would be needing a new crank because i ride approx 8 miles a day and its nearly 2 years old now and this is still fantastic. This bike is more for the heavier rider but im not saying a weedy guy cant buy this. i will probably never buy a new bike to replace it i will just simply umpgrade parts gradually untill irs worth about 3000$