Kona Hoss Deluxe XC Hardtail

• Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp
  • Seatpost: FSA FR-270 DBL

• User Reviews (19)

Dan   All Mountain Rider [Aug 16, 2012]
    Strength:

Absolutely bombproof frame it's solid. I've ridden some of my mates bikes which are very good but man because of my size I'd be afraid to push those bikes to far. The hoss is meant for bigger riders, if it were a chocolate it would be a yorkie i.e for real men! I paid £630 for it which is a bargain for the spec at the time. Its a real workhorse, goes everywhere and does what I want it to. After 1000 miles I am only now having to replace the stock BB which is good going considering the BB fitted isn't that well respected for longevity.

Replace the stock brakes with Avid Elixars or Saints if you warrant that stopping power on a bike such as this and you should be good.

Stock pedals are crap but there are on most bikes anyway from my experience.

Wish the forks and front hub were 20mm drop outs not quick release.

Some might find the frame and forks a little too rigid but as stated it is build for big hefty riders.

If you have this bike don't EVER get rid of it. Of the 3 bikes I have (stinky Dlx 09 and custom Stuff 06 being the others) this is the one I'm most fond of. It's like my little donkey and faithfully goes everywhere and turns up everywhere with me.

Similar Products Used: Haven't needed to change it
    EnglishGentleman   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2011]
    Strength:

Read everything by the guys who offer 4 or 5 stars and I'm with them all the way. My Hoss is still in an amazing condition and is STILL stock! Some do not get on with the DJ3 forks but I weigh in at 240 pounds, jump nine feet at 40 mph and ride out grinning every time! I can only say one thing more about it, ALWAYS HOLD ON TO THIS BOMB-PROOF BIKE!!! I finally fell in love...

None; in my opinion...

If you ain't got one, get one. If you have one, keep it. You'll never need a spare if you really know how to ride.

Similar Products Used: None really, I now also have a Cube Reaction GTC SL, also awsome.
    gomeroz   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2009]
    Strength:

2008 model strong frame, great geometry, great blue colour,solid stiff ride,hardtail response and great value components

Replaced Hayes stroker trail brakes , Could do with more travel in forks

Love this bike after replacing the brakes.Solid bike and "bulldozes" through obstacles and bounces back through technical rides.
    The best value and spec bike in it's field.All reviews are positive and obviously Kona did not keep it in the 2010 range as previous owners never traded up as the Hoss lasts forever....stay with a great frame and just update the components.....highly recommend this bike.

Similar Products Used: Harro Escape
    steelworx   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2009]
    Strength:

Frame, Frame, Frame Good components (Hyd. disc brakes, Drivetrain, Wheelset etc.)

DJ3 fork no lock-out limited adjustability, Pedals , Tires great for hardpack but not so great for my area lots of sand

If you are a big guy (a clydesdale type) I highly recommend this bike because it is bombproof for the area I ride. I was around 290 lbs. when I started riding again, now at around 250 - 260 lbs. I have had 0 issues with this bike.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn High Plains (1991)
    Mark Young   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2007]
    Strength:

Very strong bike. Fantastic brakes. 6'5 & 230lbs with tree trunk legs - my style is slower cadence, high torque, XC and not afraid of the odd jump. No flex in the frame, has taken some big hits / bad jumps. It's the first bike I haven't broken properly.

Stock WTB seat is not up to the job. One hard landing and I embedded the seat post/ rails into the underside. A friend did the same thing 1 week later with the same seat (stock on his GT). Also swapped out forks straight away for Reba's (bomb proof so far...) and replaced the BB/crank with an FSO exo. The Race Face one flexed more than the front mech would adjust to. Managed to bend the rear ditchwitch despite others saying they are bombproof. Personally I prefer SRAM gears. Nokian NBT tyres are great in wet (water on hard surfaces), but Panaracers better traction in muddy UK conditions, and Maxxis better in dry. Having said all that, I'm hard on bikes and this has been the best one I've owned.

The frame is second to none for the big boys. It's about the toughest hardtail you can get and great value, but toughness comes with a small weight penalty...buy the Hoss (not the Delux), but do a deal on some better forks and seat, and if you have some pennies left then upgrade the crank.

Similar Products Used: Tried Norco Sasquatch. Have a GT Outpost as an old lightweight hack. All other bikes I've owned I've broken.
    Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2007]
    Strength:

Unbreakable frame! Strong, strong bike. Quality components throughout. Some dont like the fork but its a step up over what I was used to. Forged bottom bracket a plus, this the first mtb that I havn't beaten the bb shell out of round on.

One heavy mother! all that strength has to come from somewhere. Would have been nice to get eyelets on the spoke holes in the rims. Stock seat sucks.

Great tough bike, it was worth the money. I killed the ricon, I spent sh!tloads of money modifying the V3, I bought the kona and spent virtually nothing and it just wont quit. It's lasted longer than the others, in fact another six months and it will have lasted longer than both of them together. Its heavy, but so am I. It's not as sharp steering is the Haro but I may be quicker for it because its that little bit more stable. I like it! If I ever get skinny again I'll be looking at another Kona, a kikapu deluxe, and if I dont then a Dawg Deelux. But Iv'e got to kill this one first so it could be some time.

Similar Products Used: Similar products owned and beaten to death.Modded Haro V3, Stock Giant Rincon. Couldn't actually kill the Haro but the bb still failed.
    steven   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2007]
    Strength:

The frame is super tough you can feel the durability when you ride. The brakes are excellent, they stop better than my 2 grand bike. I believe KONA has given more for the money upi pay

Really the only weakness was the sproket kept coming loose and I ended up bending it. KONA replaced it, but I went ahead and bought the next step up. No problems since.

Bottom line is I am 190 pounds and rough as heck with bikes and this thing has held up. I ride 2-3 times a week and for the weeks I miss those rides I make up for the following week and no matter what the weather is Washington, I am still out there. I plan to race with this bike, so it seems to have any and everything of good quality for the price. This bike has been great!

Similar Products Used: Diamond back sport
    Warren   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2006]
    Strength:

Strong frame, enlarged guides for hyraulic brake lines

Little bit heavy, only takes a 6 inch disc on the rear

Excellent for bigger guys. or smaller guys like me who like to snap their chain stays off!

I only weigh 175lbs but this suits me down to the ground.

Similar Products Used: Klien, sintesi, both lighter, but no where near as strong
    Johnnie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2006]
    Strength:

Bullet proof frame and components. The geometry of this bike is right on. Good climbing and handling bike.

The shock is O.K. but, I will upgrade it soon to a higher quality shock probally with a lockout. Stock tires are not for riding on wet and muddy trails. They do work good on dry hardpacked, gravel and pavement.

My Hoss Dee-Lux is the blue '05 model. I've been hammering this bike for almost a year now and it keeps asking for more. I would buy this or any other Kona again without any hesitation. Just for the record, I'm 6'3" and currently weigh 240#.

SteveB   Weekend Warrior [Feb 08, 2004]
    Strength:

Comfortable ride, great components, solid build

Stock pedals are the worst, and the seat (for a big guy) has GOT to go! Also might want to consider replacing the Marzocchi's; I'm not impressed at all.

After shopping around for quite a while and test riding numerous rides, I settled on this one because of design and the fact that it's intended for us clydesdales! ;) First few rides have been awesome, but I would suggest that on this model you get different pedals and seat, and you might want to consider a pair of front shocks that are adjustable; these Marzocchi's that the Dee-lux comes with really should never have been mated on this bike! I know I'll be losing weight rapidly now, so I know this bike is going to last me a good, long while! :)