Kona Cinder Cone XC Hardtail

Kona Cinder Cone XC Hardtail

Plan on having this bike for the rest of your life, because we designed it that way. We've focused solely on providing you with endless freedom and fun on one of the mountain bike industry's longest-running models. While our 2012 Cinder Cone is by far the most refined to date, with contemporary geometry and a modern look, the legend still has a long life ahead. Feel free to jump on for the ride.

• RockShox Recon Silver fork
  • Shimano SLX rear derailleur
  • Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Mavic XM119 rims

• USER REVIEWS

[May 18, 2017]
    Israr A

Strength:

Excellent geometry, excellent fork, excellent (light) frame material

Perhaps only the saddle

I bought it earlier this year in a clearance sale.Been really surprised to realize the bike is much better than some newer bikes of its class. I ride it uphill, downhill, off-road and on-road. Now I am considering to buy another wheel set with 1.50 tire and 10 or 11 speed sprocket to cater my needs of touring,

I hope I will ride the bike until I get older (as written on its website: for life)

[Jun 29, 2014]
    IgorSe

Strength:

Great light frame with great geometry. Solid fork.

I was very satisfied owner of Kona Cinder Cone cc 2005/6, until it was stolen.
    To my negative surprise this bike is not even in the same league with that one. All parts, except of frame and fork, were better and of greater quality on older Kona. Older Conder Cone was a very smooth and enjoyable ride.
    This bike has really cheap feeling about it, everything feels “off”, maybe Croatian dealer was not able to put it together properly (they were not able to tune rear shifter with few attempts, so I went to other mechanic) . Parts are out of tune all over soon after tuning. Breaks are also cheap and pretty lousy. Parts are not on a level which should be for this price range, and everything should be upgraded which I plan to do next year.

Kona is obviously riding on a name and frame quality, but it is not worth the money any more, IMHO.

[Jun 03, 2014]
    Matthew Brown

Strength:

2014, Scandium Scandium Scandium!! This frame is super light, and looks awesome..and really stands out with it's plastic formed front end that almost looks like a carbon frame. The pictures are not flattering, and the bike actually looks ten times better in person than any of the stock photos, or dealer pics. The paint is Matte black with light grey on top and bottom tubes that does not show in pictures with a florescent green striping. It is simple, and yet very stealthy/racey looking. The bike looks mean when you see it in person. Rockshox XC30 air upfront are decent, SLX rear is good for the price as well, but overall you are really paying for the exotic frame..and of course the geometry is perfect. It is the best balanced bike I have ridden in a long time.

The thumb shifters for 2014 are Alivio and so is the front deraileur. I have had the bike for two weeks and I already ordered XT shifters, as the Alivio are the bulkiest blockiest looking things ever. I have a 10 year old Univega that came with Deore shifters...that are far better, and I couldn't have an outdated bike with better equipment than my new bike. I also ordered aXT front deraileur as the Alivio are very blocky, and large, and leave about 2mm clearance from the tire to the deraileur. if you change the tire to a more knobby one than stock, it will rub, or if you change wheelsets, or even inflate tires more..you run the chance of rubbing. It's quite noticeable, and obvious. Even the shop was perplexed when I pointed it out. So anyone who buys this most likely will want to swap those parts if you are picky or serious, and you probably should be in this price range..around $1100-1200.

This is my second Cinder Cone, my first was a '94 that I bought new when I was 14. With that said, I have had several bikes inbetween, and came back to Kona as the new Cinder Cone is just superbly balanced, and the build quality is top notch. My second choice was a Scott Scale 970, a very good bike. However the geometry on the Cinder Cone won out. It's hard to explain..you just have to ride it, it just feels good. The Scandium frame is lighter, and makes for some really interesting shapes, and joints. As mentioned above, the photos don't do it justice, the bike is soo much better looking in person. It's not as flashy as the Scott..but it does stand out, in the same way the new Batmobile does..it's tough looking. I have had tons of people be like..whao what is that? It's not a common Trek, Giant, Diamondback, or Wallygoose that's for sure. I only wish they had spec it with better thumb shifters, and front deraileur. I would totally have paid an extra $75-100 for that. I had to drop an additional $200 to upgrade these parts, but it's simple, and in the end will have XT, so I can't complain. Eventually I will swap the SLX rear, for XT, and it will be nearly perfect. The price is right, the bike is solid, and it is the perfect bike for customizing, and making your own. At least in Orlando, I have the only one so far (2014 as of June)..so you get some exclusivity as well. There are 8 Trek dealers in town, and only one Kona store. My girlfriend was so impressed she bought a Mahuna a week later.

'94 Kona Cinder Cone, Univega Alpina 700, Scott Scale 970. Trek4900 (worst bike ever), Marin Palisades Trail. Marin TEAM CXR PRO. Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

[Oct 27, 2013]
    Adrian Yusuf Riyadi

Strength:

Super LIGHT frame, I compared it with the POLYGON cozmic CRX1 2013 carbon hardtail edition and I''m surprized that the Kona cinder cone is lighter than that bike. The fork is great, also with the hydraulic brakes.

hard saddle

I'm satisfied with this bike

[Jun 04, 2013]
    Grover

Strength:

Rugged design with fantastic brakes. Fast on the road with a real smooth ride. Rides well off road especially on washboard dirt roads. Very stable and comfortable, turns sharp on roads and stops on a dime.

Chain slaps on frame and makes a terrible noise on jumps. Dusty roads made my cranks real noisy and had to take it in for maintenance but is still noisy. Exposed gear cables run on bottom of frame where the bike sits on a bike rack.

It's my Humvee. I've ridden it real hard and it has taken it like a champ. It's surprisingly fast on the road and makes cracks, manholes and curbs a breeze. It's a real fun bike to ride.

[Apr 02, 2013]
    zpetke

Strength:

I like the geometry and looks at overall. Basic setup is ok, although ive replaced pedals with Shimano XT Racers, brakes with Avid Elixir 7´s, shifters with Shimano XT M770´s and front derailleur with Shimano XT M770. Fork is great for XC and some trail riding too. Original SLX Rear derail is superb, not the lightest, but durable. The bike got up some value and quality. Also overall performance is now much better.

After the tune-up I´d say fork, but it suites me fine. I ride a lot of XC marathons etc and it is just great. Maybe rear sprocket gets out at some point and i´d replace it atleast with SLX or XT-one.

If you still get this 2012 model from somewhere, buy it, upgrade it and youll get a nice piece of racer.

[Mar 11, 2013]
    TH

Strength:

Solid and light frame
    Nice set of components
    Great value for $$

The seat and pedals are garbage

I bought this bike at a local bike show for $750 CDN, which was a sweet deal. The component set is a great value for the money. I've been through the city and the trails with this bike and it's great for wither setting. Replace the seat and pedals ASAP. I bought some Kona Wah Wah pedals, which are some of the lightest and strongest pedals around for the money, sealed bearings always helps to.

[May 01, 2012]
    Iain Hunter

Strength:

Strong, tough do-it-all bike that can be ridden hard, week after week, year after year without flinching. Frame is super strong. Wheels are strong too and can take anything from being thrown down rocky paths to multi-day tours fully loaded. Nice bar width as standard and reasonable kit for the money.

A few niggles. Forks that came with my bike ('09 model) were Dart 3's. These broke after a year and I replaced them with Recons (which are now standard). These are a far better fork and offer a much plusher and more adjustable ride. Also the basic Shimano Hydraulics were not great, but again Kona now supply the bike with Avids which are far better. I run BB7's just because I like to know I can repair them on a tour or long ride. Deore gears are fine and SLX rear mech is bomb proof, but the chainset is not of the same quality. It is a little heavy compared with some rivals too if that bothers you.

I have had Kona MTB's before and have always liked the way they ride. I run my bike as a do-it-all bike which gets used for just about everything from shopping and rides with the kids to commuting the 35 mile hilly round trip to work, rides in and around the English Lakeland fells and multi-day tours. I run it with a brooks B17 saddle, and a pannier rack which doubles as a rear mud guard. I do get some funny looks from the MTB trail centre snobs, but there again I am a great believer in buying a bike to ride it and not to tie it to the back of a car once a week and nurse it around a ready made trail! It has crossed the country four times now and I have replaced just about every consumable component (apart from the rear mech) at least once. I would heartily recomend this bike to anyone who wants a bomb proof bike that will confidently tackle just about anything.

Other Kona Hardtails

[Oct 01, 2010]
    wheeledwarrior

Strength:

I've ridden it a few times, about 200 miles in total, and i'm not professional. I love the comfort whether riding trails, gravel, road, the hydraulic braking system is fantastic, gears change easily. It rides light but strong. None of the gearing and braking problems I'd had on a previous Cannondale F5. The shocks are the best I've had after five years of trying different hardtails out. I've seen our city police officers on Kona bikes and decided to try it out. I've seen hard downhillers on them, and I'm a 47 year old arthritic man who hasn't suffered unduly for riding this. It's for everyone, seriously.

It feels like a cheap seat, but this is easily changed with a new one soon enough.

THIS is the bike I'll stick with and not want to get rid of. After two back to back century rides last June in a charity ride weekend on the Cannondale F5 where I had nothing but trouble, this is the bike that likes road when necessary and loves the trail. I've found my bike.
    If you're going to trick ride, definitely not for you, but if you ride road, trail and occasionally act like you're 16 on a bike, you'll like this one.

Cannondale 2009 F5, Trek 3900.

[Jul 26, 2010]
    While At ROme
    Downhiller

Strength:

Great package, comes with pretty good components for the price. The LX works great when you keep it tuned, the brakes are more than enough for the bike, fork is great for XC.

Personally i like a little more head angle and a bigger fork would be nicer.

The stock pedals suck (almost an invalid point because you dont test ride in a parking lot with clipless).

Great starter bike, and great for the cost.

Specialized Rockhopper, Demo 8, IH yakuza, Giant AC