Kona Caldera XC Hardtail

Kona Caldera XC Hardtail

One of the hottest all-day trail hardtails on the market today, the Caldera loves it fast and long-the tougher the better. With a new integrated headset for added stiffness, joined to a new extra plush Rock Shox Tora SL Solo Air front fork, and the Caldera's ready to take on all the trials and tribulations the big bad world can muster.

[Jan 01, 2014]
Richard

Strength:

Kona geometry. Weight. Build quality.

The paint job isn't exactly stellar in quality and chips and wears quite easily. But then again, it's made for trails and woods... The tyres are rubbish and downright dangerous on wet Tarmac.

Just an excellent bike. Got the 2012 model, the last one. Did over 1000 kilometers on it this summer. Ridden it in terrains and under conditions that are probably too hard for it. Climbing up ski slopes like a monkey and then riding down together w the guys on downhill bikes. Takes all forms of abuse. Balanced and exact. Never a glitch.

Kona Blast, Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe, Kona Kikapu, Scott Aspect.

[Oct 21, 2012]
Nick Smith

Strength:

Light weight frame, great equipment

What a bike, and great value at the minute now with all the stores discounting it (2012 model)

[Apr 16, 2012]
isz astro

Strength:

frame lasak.jatuh bukit frame sikit pun tak retak..geometri freme sesuai utk off road.

so far fork standart mula mula di beli langsung tk best.rox shox dart3..fork kene tukar..byk kene upgret.

frame best.perlu upgret kepada fork fox,xt 10 speed,rim fulcum,speed bearing hub akan jadi basikal ni jadi lagi best.

[Jul 11, 2011]
rune

Strength:

it shocks are amazing and the frame is super derable plus it is very light it has fast wheels on it and the components are the best best bang for your buck nothing can compair to this bike.

it is so good looking that you get destracted by it when you are riding

the best bike i have ever rode made by kona and it has a life time warranty so if it brakes bring it back and get a new one

i have used a trek 9.9 and that cant even compete with the kona caldera

[Mar 28, 2011]
eliminator

Strength:

2006 Model (Gold Frame)
This bike looks great and has stood up to my abuse for the last several years. I bought the bike new in 2006 and have put many miles on it, mostly on the type of trails that would be more suitable for a full suspension setup. But this bike has survived the test of time. Every year I think about getting a full suspension, but once back on the Caldera, I decide to stay true to this Kona beast.

For the price, nothing really. But, the fork really stands out as a disappointment. I replaced the OEM fork in 2008 with a Rock Shox Reba Race World Cup 100mm. Since then, the bike has been a dream. I've replaced a number of other components due to them wearing out. The RaceFace Deus crankset and BB I upgraded to last year has made a world of a difference.

Great bike, great price, Kona puts together a great setup. Rest assured that if you decide to go with a Caldera, you will appreciate the attention Kona has put into this bike over the years.

[Jul 18, 2010]
monkey-moo

Strength:

Frame, weight, spec for price.

none so far.

Just got this bike a couple of months ago. Everything so far has been superb. the only issue i had was one of the brakes was empty of fluid when taken out of the box...dealer sorted it out straight away. Compared to my old ride, it's such a step up. The only thing Kona could have done would be to put some slightly better brakes on. The shimano m575's 'aint the best about, but they 'aint the worst neither...apart from that, its the dogs bollocks!

specialized hardrock

[Feb 24, 2010]
smbuergler

Strength:

-Light frame
-Decent wheels for money
-Decent brakes for money

-Fork
-Rear Shifter always sucked (Deore shifters to XT rear derailleur)

The original fork was absolutely terrible. Tora XC 100 mm. I've ridden a bunch of cheaper Konas that had a much smoother front suspension. I swapped it out pretty quickly.

Aside from that the rear shifter never really functioned all that well. Replaced the cable & housing. Cleaned and lubed the drive train and shifters. It simply always had trouble ascending and descending the cassette regardless of the cable tension.

I like the wheels, the weight of the bike, and I liked the brakes. Shimano hydros are easy to bleed and Kona sends you a cup for the bleeder kit.

Climbed very well but the absence of a quality fork made it hard to smoothly whip through flat single track.

Hard Rock

[Aug 19, 2009]
gelinasbrian

Strength:

Frame is awesome. brakes are(squeaky sometimes)but sill good. fairly light bike. PRICE. Love the murdered out black on black color scheme. Badass looking rig. Takes on hills with ease and rips dh single tracks.

Hate the saddle it's to hard. had a small issue with the derailleurs would not shift properly but my LBS took care of that. Going to upgrade shocks, crank/bottom bracket, saddle, f/r derailleurs. weak paint scratches easily.

Bottom line is this bike is great for the money. I looked @ many bikes before settling on this one and I feel I got the most bang for my buck. I would recommend this bike to anyone.
The minor complaints are far out-weighed by the huge value of this rig.

[Apr 30, 2009]
Thomas

Strength:

Frame geometry and strength
XT rear derailleur
Great value
Climbs like a monkey

Marzocchi EXR forks
Stock tyres/saddle
A little overweight (easily fixed though)

I bought my Caldera in Jan 2005 so this is kind of a long term review. The bottom line is that as far as XC hardtail bikes go, this is one of the best value bikes on the market - hands down. The fact is that the setup and componentry of the Caldera rivals bikes $500 to $1000 more. I have easily ridden over 15,000km on this thing in the last five years, and it still feels like new. It eats up the windy and fast singletrack, it is great for climbing, it is great for hitting big logs and technical DH, I can hardly fault this machine considering the price. The problems I've had were mostly caused by me, like I snapped the XT rear derailleur in half when a large stick got caught in my wheel, the rear dropout needed to be replaced when it hit a large log.

I'd recommend changing the forks after a while though, the Marzocchi's aren't exactly the best around, they are reasonably heavy and the teeth of the alan key hole on mine corroded away so I can't adjust the rebound anymore. I'm looking to get a new Fox fork.

Other than that, this bike stands the test of time.

[Apr 08, 2009]
Ben222

Strength:

Brakes, Frame, Easily-Upgradable, Agility, Seat, Rear Deraileur, Slick-Looking, Value, Quality, and everything else except for...

Fork, there are better Front Derailleurs out there, Headset, Tires, soft and easily-scratchable Paint

The Kona Caldera is an excellent, solid bike. You truly get what you pay for with this rig, and it is a lot better than most of the bikes in its price range. If you are looking for a top-of-the-line hardtail, this is the ride you should be getting.

Last year, I had to get a new bike, because I had grown out of my Trek 4500. So, I got a 2008 Kona Caldera for the 4500's replacement. I really started to get into the X-Country riding with this thing, and I feel as if I have tons of room to grow before I need something more heavy-duty.

The Hayes Stroker Trail Brakes kick some serious tush, and the frame is absolutely bomb-proof. The bike is agile enough that you can dominate most terrain, yet slick and durable enough that you don't look like you're riding a tank while doing it. There are a lot of high-quality components on the Caldera, but of course, there are a few downfalls:

The RockShox Tora 302's are less than amazing, but they're not horrible, so I'll probably keep them on the bike until the fork goes. I find that it doesn't take a lot to scratch the soft paint right off, but hey, good looks come at a price, I guess. Finally, the Maxxis Ignitor tires, depending on trail conditions, can be really scary to ride on when it's wet; so I suggest something better. However, it doesn't bother me too much.

In short, the Kona Caldera should be at the top of your list if you're looking to get fairly serious in X-Country riding. You absolutely get what you pay for with this bike, and the $1000 is worth every penny. The quality is top-notch, and besides, you usually can't go too wrong with a Kona. The Kona Caldera should be a no-brainer if you're willing to spend the money.

Trek 4500