Kona Blast XC Hardtail

We don't take the naming of our bicycles lightly. It's a huge deal, with week-long focus groups and wilderness retreats (not). And this beauty is all about the name. Perhaps the best-riding hardtail mountain bike on the planet for the price, the Blast has delivered more wide-eyed smiles than we could ever keep track of. Light and lively Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted Superplastic-formed tubing, great spec, race-proven geometry-we're calling it a billion served.

• RockShox XC 32 Turnkey 100mm fork
  • Shimano Alivio/Deore gearing
  • Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Kona Custom cockpit

• User Reviews (61)

AdamChampine   All Mountain Rider [Aug 13, 2012]
    Strength:

I have gone off jumps 20 feet in the air and the bike loved
    it

Shifters and crank set

This bike is for just about anyting you want to dish out the bike
    is a 2007 kona blast

Kratos   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2012]
    Strength:

Frame strenght, famous Kona geometry, good entry level fork and brakes, reliable, seat

pedals for sure, acera shifters and front acera derailleur, not suitable for downhill, it's XC bike after all.

This is my first real MTB, I immediately started abusing it, so there were rough rides and it took beatings fairly. Geometry is great, Kona standard. Fork is really reliable and do the job very well but I upgraded it with Rock Shox dual-air Reba SL, and it was smart move. I also upgraded brakes, Tektro Auriga Comp are great entry brakes really, but I wanted something with better modulation and better power so I bought Avid Elixir 5. Seat is very comfortable, there wasn't too much ass pain. Stock tires, Maxxis Aspen 2.1, weren't good for me, I had 5 pinch flats in a row -.-'' and they weren't reliable so I put Continental X-King 2.4 instead, much better. This is pure XC beast. One of the best MTB in this price range.

rclugnut   All Mountain Rider [Mar 07, 2012]
    Strength:

Super durable, and rides great, very few failures

shifting could be a little better shock isn't super adjustable

I picked this up as a first real MTB and i still love it to death. The stock rockshox dart 2 has a decent feel, and the lockout is nice, but it's nothing fancy by anymeans the rebound is nice and does help a bit. the brakes are mech, hayes mx4's i finially replaced them this fall, they're super grabby and suffer very little fade. The shifting is a bit slow and hesitant up front, but that was mainly into the large ring, the rear is fairly snappy, never a real issue. I replaced the stock pedeals with some large flatts and they're a lot better, much more grippy, no idea which ones specificly, my other complain is the stock tires aren't the best (maxxis ignitors) in mud and wetter stuff, on dry hardpack/semi loose, they fly but once it gets wet/sloppy, i'll take my nevgals please, a bit slower but worth the traction. The bike climbs like a champ, just stand up, drop a few gears and crank away, doesn't get stopped by much and allows you to crawl up the techy stuff. That being said, it carves up just about anything, it jumps/drops pretty well the frame takes w/e i throw at it, the rims got a little out of true after this summer but not bad, i was also dropping the seat and bombing down hills like it was a DH bike, feeling every hit and it kept going. The only failure other than a few tubes from letting the pressure get too low was my chain blew out on me this summer after a good 2 years of riding, and i didn't give it a lot of love... other than that it's been a flawless bike that i can run up and bomb down just about anything i want on.

All i can say is my next bike will almost certainly be a kona after riding this...

Similar Products Used: none
    josephig   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2012]
    Strength:

Solidity, durability, speed, handling, fork, brakes

Pedals, seat, derailleurs.

Great singletrack ripper, the Tora TK fork is surprisingly plush, plus it has a lockout feature. The seat was a quite hard, so without padded shorts gets quite uncomfortable and it's already ripping so will probably have to replace it. The tires (maxxis aspens) are suited for dry racing conditions so don't have much traction on the westcoast british columbia trails. probably will replace them eventually with some kenda nevegals. the brakes (shimano m445 hydraulics) are great value, and should be good for anyone not doing DH. (I don't see how someone would take this bike on that anyways so it doesn't really matter). both derailleurs have needed some adjustment, but now are working fine. (might upgrade to deore xt or slx sometime in the future). All in all, great bike, loads of fun, and great value.

Similar Products Used: Giant Boulder SE
    SgtBaxter   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2012]
    Strength:

Excellent frame, and better package components than other brands at the same price point. Tora fork (now XC32) is great entry level fork that can take a beating.

Stock pedals awful, stock Alex rims not particularly strong bent front rim in less than 3 months. Stock spring in the fork is a bit stiff for riders under say 165 lbs.

I love this bike! The frame is fantastic, light and strong. Invested in a stronger rimset for more all mountain type riding. Regularly blast this bike down the Catoctin blue trail rock gardens in western Maryland. It takes a real beating and still wants more. Really lives up to it's name.

mark123   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2011]
    Strength:

The overall quality and longevity of the components.

The uncomfortable seat which was quickly replaced.

I've used this bike to travel 10 miles every day (for fitness) for the last 2 years. I only cycle on flat roads along a windy seafront and coast road but do cycle every day whatever the weather conditions are. Amazingly after the initial setup this bike has needed nothing doing to it at all apart from the very ocassional gear tune up oil. I'm astonished with it, it has been brilliant.

Similar Products Used: Giant mtb
    BigFoot   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2010]
    Strength:

Good, solid frame, brakes are great and feel like hydro's. The blue colour is cool and the graphics are classic. The price was superb. Its a great beginner bike, it was for me.

Fork sucks, its too stiff and it doesn't loosen up,the adjustment on it are good, but it's not the best. Front derailleur is too cheap. Tires, I didn't like the tires for my riding (street and dirt) but they did last a long time, and i don't skid!

Great price, but it isn't spec'ed well, except for the brakes,I bought a new bike with dual suspension because i realized that that was my bike style (free ride)

Similar Products Used: Same year Kona Cinder Cone, awesome bike.
    fedge3liberto   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Frame is amazing and the parts are better than average for this price range.

Alievo shifters suck, pedals suck, Acera FD ,

This bike is awesome. I have ridden this bike since 2001 and it has been great. The frame geometry is very comfortable and a yet still performs great with great rear traction. The frame has taken a pounding from my 250 lb self and has never given me any issues. Buy this bike and ride today then add a few upgraded parts and you have an amazing hard tail. I will ride this bike until i crack it in half if that ever happens.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock
    rideorglide   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2010]
    Strength:

Solid, reliable, better than average parts, good frame, wheels, tyres.

Hollow sounding noise with some bad shifts

The geometry is very comfortable. Turns well, spot-on wheelbase. I'm used to full suspension but this one rides pretty plush for a hardtail. Solid, reliable, better than average parts, good frame, wheels, tyres.

For the money this has to be almost impossible to beat in its class. It may be kind of entry level, but it's more than that, it's just a whole lot of fun biking for the money.