Klein Attitude XV XC Hardtail

humperty dumperty   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2013]
Strength:

It's beautiful. It accelerates rapidly. It's light. Lovely paint job. Gorgeous welding. Hand made feel. Particularly good at climbing. The geometry calls out to me. Beckons me. I think about the bike quite a lot. I've dreamt of it more times than I care to mention. The mist parting and there it is, as rare as unicorns, galloping toward me it comes forth, erect in mid wheelie. I shout out "Yes!". The end.

Out of the box I found it a long bike. I shortened the stem significantly. Perhaps I have short arms. Perhaps not. You will never know. It's a rigid aluminum bike. You WILL feel a lot of the bumps will come to meet your arse and your hands may well go numb. Carbon fibre handlebars and, one could debate, a carbon seat post may alleviate some of the rough and tumble. I also choose to run lower pressure and 2.2 tubeless. Helps. My mother thinks I'm going to kill myself on it. I say this to her "If I were going to shoot myself, Mother, I'd choose a nice leather armchair to sit in with a glass of bloody good Brandy in hand."

I love this bike and will never part with it. It isn't that much heavier than the lightest xc machines out today but it was the very last Klein year of mountain bikes in the USA therefore it's something you don't see every day - if ever. It is a boutique beauty and I've taken much pleasure in upgrading it - new brakes, bars, stems, seat posts - all I need now are some $1500 wheels and, one day if I'm very naughty, a full xt groupset. It will remain in the collection forever and ever. If you can buy a good frame, build it up well and you will have 'something wonderful'.

Similar Products Used: klein pulse
marin palisades
texasgunrunner   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2010]
Strength:

Light, strong, rugged, features, components

Saddle, disc brake lines are external to frame.

Mine was the 2007/8 Klein Attitude XV.

I rode about 20~25 miles a day in Camp Taji, Iraq for over 2 years. I love this bike.

This was the last year of Klein in the US. When I purchased it, all but a handful of dealers dropped the line. Nobody would ship it to me in Iraq, so I special ordered it at Bike Barn in Clear Lake (Houston) and my sister shipped it to me via USPS (a challenge in itself) when it arrived.

I wanted this bike because I wanted a high quality aluminum bike and all the control cables ran inside the tubes. I thought that was awesome.

When I received the bike, I was horribly disappointed to find the brake lines were on the outside...arrgghhh!!! Still, it has a very clean look and it is still easier to mount things to the frame with only one external cable/line.

When I left Iraq, I hauled it to Manila as checked luggage (expensive!). It is in my apartment there. I took it to the Trek dealer and had them detail, repair, align, tune, etc. the bike. I'm in Afghanistan now and won't get to ride it again until February 2011.

If a bike can take 2+ years of dust storms, heat, and cold in Iraq, not to mention garbage areas to ride, it is pretty stout.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Trek 8000
Gi Blundred   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent frame that is responsive, climbs up hills really well, descends almost as good as it climbs.

Dear compared to the competition

A really impressive bike that climbs and descends like a beast. Even on wet sketchy surfaces (muddy roots) the bike is always asking you to go faster, if you flip the stem the steering is razor sharp. Monsterously fast bike, however it is a little dear compared to the competition and the bontrager race wheels seem to become noisey pretty quick.

Similar Products Used: Giant XTC composite, Giant anthem 2, Trek 8500
Jorge   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2007]
Strength:

Extremly light, stiff, smooth and responsive. The bike fits like a glove. Im 6 feet tall and weigh 230lbs and the bike climbs like a goat. Any pressure on the pedals makes the bike take off. I will never by any other bike. I hope they keep making them.

I cant imagine any better bike for it's price unless its a $5K Cannondale Taurine, Specialized Stumpy SWorks HT or Trek 9.9 Elite.

Every time I ride it Im glad I bought it.

If you want an awesome bike worth thousands of dollars more then what it costs, get it.

Similar Products Used: GT Avalance, GT Zaskar
jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2006]
Strength:

Your power goes directly to the rear wheel, fox fork, about 5 pounds lighter than prevouis bike, tires are great for pack dirt and sick to corners

long rocky straight aways you can't sit down to often, tires are not good for rocky or rooted uphills, slip quite a bit

Sweat bike if you can get a good deal on it. Components are great, light weight, and fast. This bike has great control and cornering. Climbs hills like nothing, and actually I like the frame on the downs

Similar Products Used: 2003 Fisher Tassajara
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff, Beautiful, Unique.

Hmmm...

First of all, this is a '98 Attitude Race with an '04 SID Race fork. I bought it a few years ago to replace my first Klein which was stolen. I love it. There are other bikes out there that are similar in price and set-up, but the Klein seems to handle just right for me. A slightly shorter wheelbase, coupled with the responsive aluminum means it's the quickest handling and climbing bike I've ever ridden. The updated fork is nice too. Nothing else out there is nearly as pretty as Klein's welds or their embossed letters. The internal cables make for a very clean looking bike.

While I'm sure I could be happy with many similar bikes, the addition of a lighter frame, internal cables, and work-of-art welds and paint made the decision to stay with Klein an easy one. I'm custom building a Palomino now. I hope it lives up to the Klein reputation.

I can't recommend this frame highly enough for someone who wants a highly responsive hard tail.

Similar Products Used: Klein Fervor (Stolen), Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Other various bikes.
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff, Beautiful, Unique.

Hmmm...

John   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2006]
Strength:

beautful paint job, light, reliable components

paint (can't do touchups when scratched)

This bike is so light that it pushes you to ride faster. Climbs like a mountain goat on speed. Decending is a bit scary sometimes on steep terrain as the head tube angle is quite steep. Overall though it's the best bike that I have ridden and suggest it to everybody that wants an XC bike that is worth riding.

Similar Products Used: Norco Nitro, Cannondale Jekyl, Team Norco, ect.
Jim Turner   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2004]
Strength:

The toughest lightest and fastest climbing frame on the market. This thing is better than TI or Carbon and climbs like a billy goat. One of the fastest, cleanest and well put together frames ever made, even after Trek screwed them up.

Corporate ownership - Trek owns everything. Forgotten King of the trail.

Klein is one of the best frames ever made. The finish construction and performance are truley a work of art. There are no frames on the market that compare. Buy it if you have a desire to put your dream bike toegther - you can't go into a bike shop and get all the high end parts on a Klein anymore. Don't buy it if you care more about what everyone else is riding or what is the latest fad in Mountain Biking magazine.