K2 Bike Zed Sport XC Hardtail

tag187   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2009]
Strength:

Strong frame, Good price for a starter bike.

Suntour forks, Handle bars, cheap crankset, everything but the frame for anything aside from mild use

I used this bike 4-5 times a week on the street, and what you would call level 1-2 singletrack and it did fine, after about a year as my skill level progressed and I became a better rider I began to break parts one after the other. I now do more cross country and freeride and while I have other bikes, I have upgraded this one to the point where I still find enjoyment out of it but all that has lasted is the frame. Good bike to start with but plan to upgrade as your skills increass, if you just want a all around light use bike this is a good deal too.

Abel Lopez   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2006]
Strength:

Light and sturdy. Good looks, good additional materials (manuals and warranty)

Twist shifters are strage for me. Brake lever feels like I could break it. Rear derailuer seems possessed, but it's probably me unexpectedly touching the shifter.

It's a good beginner bike. It's very light compared to my old Steel Trek. The entry-level components will probably break when I take it on an actual trail, but I'm expecting good things

Similar Products Used: Trek 820
Cam   Downhiller [Jul 17, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, durable frame. For the price, good components.
And nice looking as well

doesn't have the components of the higher end bikes, and not meant for serious downhilling

Overall I have no quams with the bike. I got the bike for a great price, and can't expect too much from a bike in the sub 500$

If your just getting into the sport, or need a backup xc bike, theres nothing wrong with the ZED. The bike looks great, is super light for comparable bikes, and the components will get the job done just fine!

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky, Scwhinn rocket pro
ryan bracey   Weekend Warrior [May 09, 2007]
Strength:

frame durable

handlebars bent down fast, same with stem, shifters broke, chain comes off frequently.

don't get the bike, you'll brake all of the components.

Similar Products Used: trek 3700, jamis dakar sport
Abel Lopez   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap

Heavy, Cheap components

If you're going to be doing anything more than leasure riding, don't get this bike. The stock setup was super flakey. I broke the freewheel, the rear brake pad came loose (while coming down a mountain no less). Seriously, if you're considering this for any sort of XC riding, take your money elsewhere. If you need a bike for a dirt-path with the kids, then you're the target audience.

Similar Products Used: Trek 820