Jamis Exile XC XC Hardtail

• FRAME: Reynolds 631 seamless air-hardened chromoly main tubes, reinforced head tube collars, double butted cromo stays, Jamis lost wax dropouts, international disc brake mount.
  • FORK: Manitou Axel Platinum Air with lockout, alloy steerer, 80mm travel.
  • WHEELSET: WTB Speed Disc rims, eyeleted, 32H, with Shimano M475 front and rear disc hubs, 14g black stainless steel spokes.
  • DERAILLEURS: SRAM X-9 rear, X-Gen 28.68mm top pull front.
  • SHIFTERS: SRAM X-9, Impulse Trigger-shift, 27-speed.

• User Reviews (13)

ExileHunter   Cross Country Rider [Sep 09, 2008]
    Strength:

The frame is absolutely sick. By far the sickest part of the bike. Super strong, responsive, and fun, pretty light for a quality steel frame too. The SRAM X9 Shifting has never given me any problems, literally even after years o hard riding. I even slightly bent the hanger a long time ago and it STILL shifts like a champ. Clean your chain regularly and your casettes and it will shift and ride like new again. This is a truly a rock solid machine, as it climbs fairly well and is great on downhills too.

As with most reviews of this bike, the fork really is the only major weak point. Super spongy, not responsive at all, heavy weight. If you have the funds, seriously replace it right away. Mine is basically like riding a fully rigid frame after 4 years or so. Other than the fork, the seat clamp does not really work too well, and you will find your seat will slip down sometimes. The anti-snakebite rims dont really work either, as I have had my fair share of flats. Go tubeless, get new rims, or get some fatter tires.

Overall a super sick steel bike for the money. You really wont find a better deal for the price, much less a better steel bike. Spend the money and get a better fork, that is really the only thing needed off the bat. You can get by with the stock fork, but the bike will be lighter and more fun I think if you replace it. If you are semi on a budget and like steel frames, give the Exile a chance. You wont be let down, its unbelievable.

Similar Products Used: None, and none compare.
    Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2007]
    Strength:

great components, great ride

fork is the weakest link in the whole operation, also fighting with seat post creep

love the bike, would like a new fork but I cant trash this one yet. would like a new wheels just for the sake of having them, but again, I cant break them. great bike stock and from what I can tell, a good base to upgrade

Similar Products Used: many cannondals from local riding group
    Mark Page   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2007]
    Strength:

Great geometry, beautiful steel frame, handling is exceptional.

Tyres are heavy, seatpost slips

I've hammered this bike on 100km races and short 1 hour technical cross country rides - handling is brilliant and I've had no hassles at all. Swapped out the tyres for Maxxis Larsen TT's which improved the grip and weight and this is a beautiful bike!!! Anyone looking for a well priced bike with exceptional handling, buy this. Well done, Jamis for a fantastic ride at a great price.

Similar Products Used: DiamondBack, Trek, KHS hardtail aluminium cross country bikes
    Jason Park   [Apr 11, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, Cost, Not a bad gear set (i.e. Shimano Deore). Pretty rigid, stands up to a beating.

Tires aren't good had to change them to a pair of Mythos XC IRC, had to change to clipless pedals too.

It's a really good bike, it's light, rigid, and it handles pretty well. I initially bought two mountain bikes (one for my girlfriend to use), this one and a Gary Fisher Tassajara. I bought the tassajara and it weighed a ton and had a couple of problems with it. The bike that I bought for my girlfriend to use (this one) was light, cheaper, and overall better quality. I was initially thrown off by the ugly color of the bike (green and tan) but when push came to shove color really doesn't matter with a bike and it's quality. I got the bike on discount, at an end of season sale at Performance Bike (I forgot the original price) but it was an excellent deal.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tassajara.
    Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2005]
    Strength:

hmm were to start the whole bike exept the fork that abouse somes it up BRAKES WORK GREAK

the fork its not works correctly and its real mushy and the tires to small need bigger

a couple of weeks back i got into a bike accident i was flyin down a real big ass hill and i peadled the whole way down cuz u kno speed=good rite i touched the brakes and i did a stoppe i had those pads reall close to the disk so be care full whe ajusting them and there was nothing boken exept some bent bar ends so this bike can take a beating i mean this wasnt a small miniscule crash i f'ed up my shoulder pretty bad all is good w the bike i meani saw the bike fly over my head it was like nother ever happend. my only advice to you is buy this bike and wear a helmate when your riding.

Similar Products Used: old peace of crap bike i had be4
    Michael   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2005]
    Strength:

same weight as aluminum bikes of the same price range, softer ride (chromo), SRAM compnents seem sturdy and precise, good brakes, decent fork w/ good features, nice flat black paint

Bike is a bit heavy at 31 lbs (19") (but most bikes seem to be in this range nowdays...sigh). Manitou fork is kinda heavy at 4.3 lbs - rebound setting may have given up w/ only 150 miles on the clock. Tires had to go as they were too squirmy. (I'm 6' and 190 lbs, returning intermediate level rider)

I really hemmed and hawed...set a budget, but...found the Marin Hawk Hill SE and Jamis Exile bested the other bikes I rode ('cept the Kona (local dlr wouldn't let me test ride it 'cause they were having a sale...duh... WHO'S GONNA BUY A BIKE WITHOUT A TEST RIDE???)) Missing Link was helpful, let me test ride bikes all I wanted (4-5/bike) and were patient while I went beyond my budget. Marin wasn't making the SE's anymore and they didn't have my size in stock.

I'm very happy with the choice. Kinda wanted an alu frame but they were very rigid and uncomfortable w/ no weight savings. Exile is planted and supple enough to keep the riding fun while also precise enough to feel confident laying off the binders on the dh's. Shifting is precise so far w/ SRAM X7 running gear. Haven't tried any mtn goat climbs since I'm still getting used to clipless (in love with them btw...if you haven't taken the plunge you really ought to!), but she climbs quite well with only a tad of wheel lift while seated as I approach my climbing limit. Wouldn't mind a 34t on the rear, but the 32t does the job fine. Stock WTB seat is good, but have noticed some minor seat post creep no matter how hard I cinch the clamp down. Avid mech disc brakes are awesome, but a) take getting used to and b) require more adjustment maintenance than rim brakes (but the adjustment is FAR easier to do than rim brakes!).

Bottom line: this is a great bike with plenty of room to grow and learn for the beginner or intermediate returning riders out there.

Similar Products Used: 98 Specialized Rockhopper, Diamondback Arrival, GT RTS. Test rode Trek 6500, Marin Hawk Hill SE, Raleigh M80 and others in price range.
    D Rock   [Nov 12, 2004]
    Strength:

The components specs are unbeatable. The ride is classic steel, snappy and smooth.

Tires are low on traction big on weight. Swapped out to lighter tires and tubes, and saved 1 whole pound!

This bike is the best value in steel hardtails if not the best value in the whole cycling market. The ride is amazing. I can not believe that more manufacturers can't produce this quality of a steel bike for this price. As for the guy that doesn't believe that the anti snakebite rims work I have to believe that a different rubber compound tire would help. I am 195 and have ridden the WTB tires with dna rubber at 35 lb and actually felt the rim bottom out on logs and have not recieved a pinck flat. Knock on wood. If you are looking for a sweet ride for way under a grand do yourself a favor and buy this bike. Thaks Jamis for having a commitment to high quality steel bikes.

Similar Products Used: 92 Paramount Series 5 pdg was my last steel mountain bike. plenty of aluminum hardtails as well as full suspension rigs in between though.
    Ian K   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2004]
    Strength:

All-around solid package: nice specs, nice weight...just a really nice, simple bike. Also, I enjoyed the feel of the steel frame.

The Alex rims claim to be anti snakebite....and yet i got one halfway through the first trail ride? not a big deal, but kind of disappointing. Also, the Hutchison Mosquitos, real grippy on the hardpack, mud, sand...but felt real sketchy in some sections with lots of loose limestone rocks and pebbles...I may throw my IRC Mythos XC's on it, and see if it helps at all.

Don't forget its a steel frame, rust may be a problem, so a lizardskins is a good investment for the chainstay so you won't have to worry about chainsmack turning into a bigger problem than messing up the paint...

A great package deal. My dad rides the Jamis Dakar XC comp, likes jamis, and this was a slightly belated graduation present. A little tweaking, and everything feels so nice. The shifting is smooth and snappy, the shock felt nice and plush, and I felt completely in control (except for the loose limestone corners). The avid mechanicals felt really sweet, the stopping power is incredible compared to my old bike. A great bike for someone on a budget, or getting serious about their riding. I'm looking forward to racing mine (collegiate) this weekend, and am really looking forward to riding some new trails on this bad boy.

Similar Products Used: an old mongoose...this is my first real mountain bike.
    Sean Murray   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2004]
    Strength:

Great Price, steel frame, Avid Disc brakes, Truvativ gear, Shimano Deore and LX gear, Manitou Axel Elite, Alex Rims, SRAM PowerGlide II 7.0, 9-speed, 11-32.....Smooth ride, a hair over 26 pounds. Great components. The WTB seat is really nice on the arse, for me at least. Have not had any problems related to the bikes performance.

Straight handle bar, replaced it with a Truvativ one inch riser bar, Hutchinson tires, replaced them with Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Not much else. Have crashed the bike quite a bit and it is still is in one piece. Me on the other hand....

Bottom line...I rode a Kona, rode a Trek and then rode the Jamis Exile and fell in love. I am a beginner Mountain Biker, I have crashed hard, rode hard, the trails around here have tasted my blood, this is a great sport, I guess you could say I have been bitten bad by the Mountain Bike bug.

Nice job Jamis!!!!!

Here it is, if you want something better and different than the big name bike lines, do yourself a favor and checkout Jamis, it really is a better overall "Bang for the Buck".

See you on the trail.

Similar Products Used: Looked at a Trek Fuel 90, Kona Kikapu, yada yada yada....
    Cory   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Everything! Great selection of parts, I love it. Good choice of disc brakes, they have awesome stopping power and are very durable. Frame is nice and light. Grear Deore componets. Pretty good fork.

Tires wear out quickly.

Great bike, with very excellent componets. Great ride for an intermediate rider.