Jamis Dragon XC Hardtail

The Jamis Dragon is one of our most storied, revered chassis. Always steel, with its incredibly resilient ride. Always fast, with our superblyTuned geometryThat maximizesTraction and handling.This isThe rigThat built our reputation in mountain biking's early years. And it's a legendThat's still going strong. Geometry: SIZE CENTER of BBToTOP ofTT EFFECTIVETT LENGTH HT ANGLE ST ANGLE CHAINSTAY WHEELBASE FORK RAKE BB

Pakman8u   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2014]
Strength:

slack trail geometry hardtail bike, begs to ridden hard, every component is workhorse quality, steel

Heavy, the rockshox xc30 is not good, Seat needs swapping right away

I got the 2014 650b comp bike. I'm a fast roadie with some good and fast cylco-cross background (I ride the cross bike on legitimate mtn bike trails). I was looking for my first mountain bike in the colorado front range. I had no intentions for XC racing so I wanted a bike for pure fun potential. I did my research and knew what I knew wanted.

650b-I'm not a tall rider or an fast xc specialist
120mm+ suspension- might as well
69 degree or slacker HT- this is the 21st century (isn't?)
a workhorse bike- never in over its head, and never overkill (gonna be lifelong bike)
preferably steel- I'm still gonna ride hard, and don't want to be beat up for it
Hardtail- cheaper, the legs are the best suspension system anyways

when you research enough you'll surprisingly find plenty of bikes like this, but none with the history of Dragon.

I love this bike, not like a dream bike but like a brother. It'll beat you up from time to time, but in return you beat the hell out of it because its just begging for it (and deserves it to). This is not fast bike it's too heavy, so if you care about results look else where now. This bike will reward those who hull it's poor ass over the mountain and challenge you to a friendly race back down.

with the exception of the fork this is the best spec'd bike for the money, Deore through out, ritchey cockpit. nothing needs upgrading, but any future investments will be well rewarded. The fork does suck but at least your not stuck with paying an half-ass product that thinks it good. It'll be hard to find a replacement for it though because it's a straight 1 1/8" steer tube (not too many 650b straight steer tube forks on the market). But hopefully the market fixes that in the future.

buts it heavy, Harden up. it's pretty easy to find where to hack off 3 pounds (seat, cockpit, fork, tires, cassette...).
get it if-
-you have pulse
-you like fun
-this is your first bike
-you believe bike should last a lifetime
-want a bike that doesn't need upgrading right away

Don't get it if-
-you're a xc racer who cares about results
-you can afford to buy the race model
-you already own one

Similar Products Used: I did test ride the race 29er version, it's definitely the better bike (frame and parts) but the 650b version is more fun (possibly slower depending on trails). The steel feels better in the race version and the tapered fork is nice, but if your budget doesn't allow for the higher end model don't feel bad.
If want dual purpose for racing go for the 29er, but if you care more about fun stick to 650b.
larryc   All Mountain Rider [Jul 19, 2012]
Strength:

every aspect-strong rear forged dropouts,exc. welds,fit-finish top shelf.

none so far.

sub 23lbs. w/out pedals."point & shoot" is a good description of what this machine is like.vintage 1998 & rides like a dream.best rider thus far.if you can find one your size try it/well worth the time.

Similar Products Used: spec. S-works-stumpjumpers-hardrocks,GT hardtails,softtails,etc.
cyclist01   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2012]
Strength:

Stiff,Light weight (for a steel bike)..Jusdt great all around bike

None so far

Before you buy another hardtail go out and test ride a dragon pro....You will be hooked

ry   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2011]
Strength:

The frame is unbelievable. climbs like a champ, handles like a Ferrari

The Paint

I bought the frame and fork, robbed most of the parts off my GT Zaskar, Much Happier now!!!

Similar Products Used: old school Giant ATX,
unluckey_underdog   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2011]
Strength:

this bike is awesome

none so far.

very good for the rolling hills i ride around here.

juan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2010]
Strength:

great ride, it just feels right! It ebs and flows with you and is fast as hell.

Reynolds 853 tubes. It just feels right...

Avids are on/off. need to upgrade but they work.
The seat post clamp is a bit weak.

I currently have 3 mountain bikes, and the Jamis is my favorite ride, I love my other bikes but the Jamis makes me a better rider.

I can see myself riding this bike in 15 years. Its timeless.

Its not for everyone but if your in the market for Steal this is by far one sweet ride.

Similar Products Used: Steal GT (15 years ago), Giant NRS air, Haro SS, Giant Reign, Zion SS, a road bike, a Cyclocross, and a 1965 frejus SS
agefighter   Weekend Warrior [Nov 12, 2010]
Strength:

The 26" Dragon Pro is about as nimble as a bike can get. You just point and shoot and the bike responds. Those of you who ride steel know what I am talking about and those of you who don't, rent or borrow one before you purchase your next bike. You owe it to yourself.

I have been riding jamis steel frames for 20 years and have never had a problem. My prior hardtail was a 1997 Jamis Dakota.

I have been mountain biking for 25 years and have seen so many different variations of the mountain bike. Some successful, some not. I have 2 bikes that cover all my trail riding needs. My 2006 Specialized Enduro covers my really technical, super rocky trail riding needs and my 2010 Jamis Team Pro handles all the rest. The Dragon is a classic and does what its designed to do without flaw. I must repeat what many others have said in these reviews. Forget all the crap manufacturers keep coming out with to get you to spend more money every year. The Dragon steel frame has worked for years without major change. Why mess with perfection!

Similar Products Used: 1997 Jamis Dakota
Mr. Holmes   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2010]
Strength:

Great steel frame, nice components, good ride, well worth the money.

heavy, but not abnormally so.
From what I've heard, the Hayes Sole brakes don't have good stopping power. However, I weigh 140 lbs and haven't really noticed. I've used brakes that have better stopping power, but I can lock both wheels with relative ease when I want to (for stoppies and rear wheel brake slides).

Great bike. I've had a blast on it. I'm still thinking of a name for it.... tough decisions..
Anyway, I love the Reynolds 631 steel frame. I've ridden other aluminum frames and the ride quality just is not the same.
The shimano Derailleurs work well and the LX shifters... well, shift smoothly and have a quality feel. They can be pushed or pulled to change gears, which I find fun.
The brakes aren't as good as many people would like them to be. I haven't had any problems in particular with the Hayes Sole Hydraulic brakes, but it's true that they aren't overly powerful. I might switch them out for some Avid BB7s at some point. I'm not in a huge hurry, however.
Other than personal, ergonomic modifications, e.g. handlebars, stem, more adjustable seat post, and bar ends, I might consider upgrading to a nicer set of rims. Again, I haven't had any trouble with the stock rims, and I haven't babied them, but they are heavy.

The Dragon comp is for those people looking for a comfortable, steel frame trail bike who may, at some point, want to upgrade components and make the bike their own. That is not necessary though. I've had a lot of fun on this bike and I have only recently started buying aftermarket parts for it.

All in all, a great bike for the price. I've always loved Jamis products and the Dragon Comp has never let me down. Thanks for listening!

Similar Products Used: Jamis Cross Country
Raleigh Mojave
Jamis Durango 1
fauxpas   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2010]
Strength:

Hardtail=Great climber; Reynolds 853 Steel=Great ride!
The Dragon Pro has been around for many years, and it's always been an awesome bike. It offers a lot of bike for not a lot of money, and the build quality of the frame is excellent!

Not as light as some carbon or alloy frames, but it's not far from them! I've been told 4.2 lbs for 17" frame...not bad, for steel!

If you've never ridden a steel (NICE steel!) bike before, you owe it to yourself to try it! Stiff for climbs and lightning fast accelerations, yet it has minimal vibration and a very forgiving and comfortable ride. For some situations: Steel IS Real!
Highly Recommended!