Jamis Dakota XC Hardtail

Jamis Dakota XC Hardtail

The Dakota dXC Pro is a carbon fiber work of art.This bike isThe current state ofThe art hardtail.The new Dyad XC Elite carbon fiber lay- up is lighter, stiffer, and snappier.To ensureThat every rider experiencesThe desired ride, Jamis uses SST DifferentialTubing Diameter Design. SST Design means larger frames use larger diameterTubes, while smaller frames use smaller diameterTubes.This supports larger riders without punishing smaller rides. WispThroughTheTrail, just as a nimble footed mou

[Nov 05, 2013]
Mntbiker

Strength:

Light Frame

Not so light componets

I was looking for a decent frame to build a hard tail with for commuting to work on dirt and hard roads also hitting some easy single track trails. I found this bike for 200 bucks on craigslist and took it home and stripped it to the bare unpainted frame, I then clear coated it and rebuilt it with all new parts. I have about a grand into it and I am happy with it. It's about 24 pounds and like I said the frame is decent for what I paid and I also sold the used parts that were on it and basically got a free frame.

Any lighter framed bike.

[Jun 02, 2013]
ivar

Strength:

its fast!, very fast. its geometry is agressive and you can trash it around and beat on it, XT shifter shifts fast, the rock shox recon race is one of the best i've tried.

it can wear you out a little.

this is one of the better bikes i've tried, its geometry enables me to lay forward on it and really attack the trails.
it suits agressive riders, the harder i push it the better it gets.
the price on dakotas is higher than it says here, there new price was about $1800

i recomend this bike to everyone,

[May 29, 2013]
Zig

Strength:

Light and solidly built, climbs and descends very well
Lockout on fork
Carbon seat stay (makes you feel fancy and may absorb some shock better than aluminum, may be my head)
Price point! Great bike for beginners, I learned to ride and work on this guy.

Brakes
grips
smooshed a front wheel pretty easily (though I probably ought to have)
Tires (upgraded to some better climbers)

First mountain bike, bought it off of craigslist for $400 some odd dollars. I'm 6'3", so a stem riser was soon in order, but once I found a comfortable position on the bike, it was amazing. I smooshed the front wheel a few months after I got it doing things outside my skill level, so hard to tell if it was a bad wheelset or a stupid rider. Fork and frame were fine after. Upgraded to Mavic Crossrides to a somewhat noticeable difference. Brakes were o.k. until I learned to bleed them and replaced the pads, now they're fairly beefy. I've made it all fancy and am giving it to my boyfriend; I've just purchased a K2 attack I'll be riding now.

Odd thing I ran into; it does not have retention spots for cable brakes.

[Aug 25, 2011]
Dazza

Strength:

Frame geometry and design utilising Kenisium and Carbon mix combined with the trusted Fox RL 32's, this sets the pace tricked with XT's trusty groupset the choice against the competition was made for me...

None to complain off really, routine maintenance like gear cables streching and a buckle in the rear rim, both easily serviced out by the mechanic.
Not bike specific but watch the bearings in the headset and hubs if your jet-washing the bike after each ride type,a word of experience do not get to close to the seals or you will contaminate the bearings in no time.

I did look very very closely at the well pubilsized names in this sector's XC competition and I can tell you I have never looked back since the purchase of my 19" JDE, in fact we bought another for a mates son since.

The JDE is everything I hoped it would be,light enough to allow you stability,performance and durability. This bike really comes alive the harder you push on those XC rides, hill climbs or tricky decents slow or fast.

A rapid turn of speed is just a breeze..get on the saddle of a JDE and hang on there guys....

Similar bikes off similar value

[Apr 13, 2010]
fatroadie

Strength:

Strong component spec minus the wheelset. Nice ride to the frame, and it appears to be well-constructed. Terrific Fox fork. Beautiful BB30 setup.

Feels fairly heavy for how it looks and is billed at. Avid's need some love to work best. I'm still figuring those out for optimum setup.

This review is for the 2009 Elite...

In regards to weight, this bike rides a lot lighter than how it feels upon picking it up. I'm replacing the stock wheelset with a Stan's Crest wheelset, and I think that's really going to make this bike come alive.

Overall, I enjoy the ride of the bike, and I think after I replace the wheelset and get it fit, it should keep me happy for quite awhile.

Trek STP300, Trek OCLV, Schwinn Badlands (first bike)

[Feb 27, 2010]
ianrab

Strength:

-lightweight (for its capabilities)
-affordable
-responsive
-quality parts
-knobby off-road tires, fast
-aluminum frame

-lack of places for mounting accessories (see bike setup)
-fork (first one leaked, got it replaced for free, lockout knob fell off the second one, made a new knob, works fine now)
-brakes (the BR-M485 set leaked from the caliper body, this is a known issue, Shimano replaced them with a BR-M486 set for free, works fine now)

This is a great bike. I love it. Although it lacks mounting points for accessories, including a kickstand, I use it to commute and it more than gets the job done. My old bike was a WalMart Mongoose XR-150, and it was ok, but I needed something better. I use my Jamis for getting to school, the Dollar Tree, and the grocery store. I also liked the price, on sale from $1000. The fork and brake issues were taken care of in the first month that I had it, so they weren't too bad of a problem.

none. thats why I got it.

[Aug 16, 2009]
Lukem

Strength:

Geometry, lightweight frame, good component package for the price

Shimano hydraulic brakes can be noisy if the bike sits for a while

I am reviewing the 2008 model....Great bike. Aggressive geometry; short chainstays and a steepish headtube make this bike very agile. Even with the short wheelbase the bike handles exceptionally well at high speeds. I put a shorter stem on my bike and that made the slow speed steering is a bit twitchy, but when riding fast (that's what it was designed for) the steering is that much more precise. Rockshox Tora is a bit heavy, but it has excellent lateral stiffness and is pretty plush.

I got this for about the same price as a Trek 4500 or Fisher Marlin would have cost, and the specs on the Dakota blow those two bikes out of the water. Frame provides a good platform for XC racing as well.

GF Marlin, Trek 4500

[Jun 18, 2009]
Slow francis

Strength:

Brilliant to ride very comfortable, very quick, Rare !!!!
Best bike I have ever owned ! bar none !

Poor paint finish in places - and Jamis Warranty - wheels a touch heavy.

Looks Ride Uniqueness ( in UK ) gets attention light and stiff - brilliant bike far better than I deserve !

Merlin Malt, Various Kona's ( this is way better than the price equivalent Kona )

[Mar 20, 2009]
Masta

Strength:

FRame,fork, the r7 work very well, xt shifter,xt gear

THE Firex and the BB is a cheap gear , the first time I rode my bike the crank fall down, the wheels set,tires

Great frame in 2006 like the next years, but in 2009 lot of better things, like the crank and other new stuff great machine fast and light

old rocky mountain

[Sep 02, 2008]
SR24084

Strength:

A lot of bike for the money. The paint was really nicely done this year. Over all the bike is a great starting place to upgrade from when stuff wears out.

M485 brakes!!!!

I am a little weary of how much abuse the carbon seat stays will take......

Great bike for the money. Light and flys down the trails. And best of all its a bike worth upgrading.

Proflex, Kona, KHS, and GT.