Iron Horse Warrior Race XC Hardtail

-Rock Shox Pilot SL suspension fork,100mm travel
-SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur with X.7 Trigger shifters
-Truvativ Firex SX crankset w/Gigapipe Isis Bottom Bracket
-Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9XC disc brakes w/6" Mud cutter rotors
-Easton stem, seatpost and handlebar
-Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals

vecken   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2012]
Strength:

This is just a review of the frame, bought it second hand and built it up. SOLID bike, my last "real" mountain bike was a trek 8000 and this easily matches it, not bad for a $100 frame. beautiful color, some like, some love it. the tube shaping is definitely skilled and just LOOKS strong, we'll see how well it fairs with me beating on it.

paint chips REALLY easy. it had a couple nicks when i bought it, no dents. added 2 more when assembling it. i wish they would have put a clearcoat over it, it's going to look like swiss cheese by the time i'm done with it. can only fit 2.5" tires, and that's pretty tight, but you really don't need more on this style of bike.

solid frame, when i stripped it down and weighed it came to 4.1 lbs, not a superlight, but not by any means heavy. its worth building up with some good components, depending on how i like it i'll slowly upgrade the wheels and fork. its getting a value rating of 5 for being a great resell.

Similar Products Used: trek 8000 haro V2, trek bruiser, cannondales, specialized rockhopper, giant rincon...
mtbprophet17   Racer [Mar 14, 2010]
Strength:

Good Geometry, but it doesn't ride as a great XC bike without tinkering. However once you change the configuration of the bike a small amount, it becomes a great Bike generally.
It's light and strong, Love the Shimano Drivetrain.

Hayes So1e are one sided and impossible to service. The Saddle is heavy, and the Rims (WTB Speeddiscs) are weak and easily bent. Rides great until you have to start servicing it.

This bike is great in a lot of ways. The geometry is responsive and it will be a good bike to learn on, and race on as long as you upgrade certain parts of the bike accordingly. I love it, but I have changed a lot on the bike. It's cheap for the equipment and a good bike all around.

Similar Products Used: Giant Iguana Disc, Cannondale F300
Jon Wallner   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2006]
Strength:

good spec for the price. Hydraulic disks are a plus. I have never ridden on a Rock Shox Pilot fork but it seems worthy for what type of riding I do. Easton bar and seat post. Other pluses are the crankbrothers pedals and a reasonably light frame. They also gave me free shipping.

I am still getting over the fact that the frame is not made in the US. It is an old hangup. The derailuers also needed adjustment.

For the price, the bike is a good deal. It comes new with free shipping and a very helpful support staff. Even if the frame turns out to be crap, I will throw the parts on another ride. I used to look down on Iron Horse bikes but they seem to have turned it around.

Similar Products Used: Trek StP 200, Klein Pulse Race, Specialized Stumpjumper, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale F 7000 and so on
Brandon   Weekend Warrior [Feb 03, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight and comes with a great set of components for the money - especially the Deore XT rear dérailleur, Hayes hydraulic disc brakes and Crank Brothers' Candy C pedals.

Takes a beating well too. I got in a big wreck coming off of a jump and the only damage was to the front wheel. Everything else was as good as new.

The Rock Shox Tora 302 disc-only fork is nice but seems to be an OEM version without lockout, which I think is a pretty standard feature nowadays. You can buy a kit from SRAM with the conversion for the fork itself (not just the remote that attaches to the bars) but the price is pretty steep for something that should have come standard.

The Hayes Sole disc brakes were a little tricky to keep adjusted at first - either there was too much "dead movement" before the pads touched the disc or they rubbed and squeaked. That seems to have worked itself out after a couple of adjustments so maybe it was just a break-in phase. Either way, it works great now.

I'm only mentioning these weaknesses because I am writing a review but neither weakness means much - I'm still very happy with this bike.

This is a good bike with good components. It has stood up to a lot so far. All in all, this is a phenomenal bike and I would recommend it to anyone.

Iron Horse is obviously smaller than a lot of other companies but I know a few people who have them and I haven't heard a single bad thing about them yet. You get a lot of bang for the buck. If I had spent this much on a Trek like a friend of mine did, I would have gotten conventional V-brakes, dérailleurs that are a step down, tires that blow out after a couple months and a seat that is falling apart. I feel like my bike was a much better investment.

Similar Products Used: Comparable Treks and Giants.
Jari Lainpelto   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2006]
Strength:

Light, excellent value for money.

Front derailluer and trigger shifters.

Good bike for value. Deore front derailluer is not my first choice and I'll prefer gripper shifter more than triggers. Crankbrothers pedals are 10X better that shimano SPD's what I used to have.

Similar Products Used: Kona Kula(-99), Nishiki ???-92
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2006]
Strength:

Great "enthusiast"-level component mix on the '05 model: SRAM 9 derailleur, egg beaters, SRAM trigger shifters (which I prefer over Shimano's), Weirwolf tires, very adjustable RS Pilot SL fork (with air, motion control damping, and rebound: all adjustable)

My front disc brake caliper has a sticky piston which needs to be fixed. Paint chips easily.

For the price you can find this on the internet (~$650 at times) you can't go wrong for a beginner hardtail. My trail riding has improved dramatically since buying this a couple months ago, and the bike has plenty of room left for me to grow. There aren't any components on this that I'd replace, at least until they break. Exceptions are the front derailleur (Deore: although I've had no problems with it, switching it to Xgen might work better with the other sram components), and perhaps add a carbon seatpost to absorb the landings a bit. The '06 model has an XT rear derailleur and deore shifters, which is too bad... the feel of SRAM's ESP shifters are really nice. Also the '06 has Hayes's OEM Sole disc brakes, which are a step down from the HFX9's on the '05 model. The frame is sized a bit large, so if you're sometimes between sizes like me (I'm 6'1") go for the smaller frame. I got the 21.5" and should have gotten the 19.5".

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock (not similar, it's just the only other mtn bike I've had)
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2006]
Strength:

SRAM X7/X9 components, Hayes 9 Hydraulic brakes, Easton bar and stem, 100mm Rock Shox Pilot, nice WTB saddle, and came with eggbeaters.

Deore front derailler and no name front hub do not fit in the the level of componenets on the rest of the bike.

You get a ton of bike for the dollar. I have had it less than a month but I'm blown away how much nicer it is than my old bike. Had I expected this much difference, I would have gotten it much sooner.

Can't be beat it with the close out pricing.