Ibex Bicycles Trophy Comp XC Hardtail

• Sun DS2-XC Double-Wall Alloy Rims
  • Factory Direct Price: $799

• User Reviews (21)

Tripp   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2006]
    Strength:

Great parts for a great price.

No test ride before buying.

The customer service ROCKS! The bike is awesome and comes ready to go. All you have to do is attach the front wheel and handlebar, pump up the tires and you're off. I will recommend these bikes to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock Pro. Raleigh M80. Ibex trophy frame with hardrock pro components. (loved the frame so much that when stuff started wearing out, i just bought a whole bike from them)
    Matt   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2006]
    Strength:

Great components for the money. Frame. Brakes. Everything.

None, yet. Although I had trouble adjusting the Avid BB7 mechanical brakes during the assembly of the bike. I did figure it out on my own, with a little e-mail help from Ibex.

After four months of searching for a new mountain bike( my first bike was a Giant Iguana circ. 1988 which I still use) and trying out many different types I thought I had settled on a Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc for $840. One night searching on the internet I came across Ibex and the rest is history. No LBS could match the quality of components this bike offers for $740. The bike is just incredible. It feels great and rides like a dream. It is everything I ever wanted in a hardtail. I would recommend Ibex to anybody who likes to do their own bike maintenance and loves getting more bang for their buck. I was looking for a little higher end bike that would last for years, I ride 4 times a week for 20 miles each ride, and it fits the the bill wonderfully.

Similar Products Used: Giant Iguana.
    Steve   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2006]
    Strength:

Light weight

Just got it so can't tell yet

Picked it up a few hours ago. Fairly impressed, comes complete with tools, multitool for the trails, SPD Pedals, touchup paint etc. Only complaint was whoever in Taiwan assembled the bike crossed all the cables.(must be learning how to braid hair in hairdressing school) One of the cables was frayed out of the box, but i have not addressed this with IBEX yet. Small glitch, but I'm impressed so far. Will ride tomorrow morning and report back.

Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Great frame and components for the money. Rocksolid. Try finding this combination of components anywhere else and you will pay $400-600 more. This deal is a no-brainer! I was looking for a good solid XC hard-tail to last me a long time and was willing to pay $1200 or more. This bike was everything I was looking for.

Tires could definately be improved on. But go out and pay $60-80 for a pair of something suitably wider and beefier and you will still be way ahead. Could use a quick-release for the seat. No test ride.

Again, you will not find a better deal anywhere!! If you are looking for a great XC bike with good solid components, light weight, then buy this bike. This bike gets an A+, and I have had many bikes in the past.

Customer service is top notch and they go out of their way to be straight with you.

Similar Products Used: Comparable Giants, Marins, Treks, etc.
    Eric   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2006]
    Strength:

Great price, nice component line-up, great customer service. This is for an '05 Comp Special Edition. Has the Trophy Pro frame, upgraded to xt hubs, lx crankset, and a longer travel fork. It was spec'd to come w/ Ryno Lite rims, but I talked to Jack about those being a bit heavier (I had ordered the Trophy Comp, but it was on backorder,) and they found some very nice cross country disc rims which saved .5 lb (alexrims fd16) Hammer the cranks and this thing accelerates like a rocket. Fork has spring and air adjustability and rebound damping. Frame responds quickly on tight singletrack.

Fork makes a squishing sound (is that a weakness? it works like a charm. And the fork is a bit heavy

This bike climbs and accelerates like a champ. Fork responds well and has plenty of adjustability. This is a fantastic price on a bike with a great frame and component set up. I can probably put about a $100 into this bike and have it be around 25 lbs. This a great cross country racer or bike for technical singletrack

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Specialized
    Jupe Etheridge   Weekend Warrior [Dec 30, 2005]
    Strength:

High quality power train, shifting compontents and brakes.

Tires are thin (see XC set up comments below)

This is a pure XC bike that is well equipped for the purpose. The fork, tires, and geometry make a perfect match for XC trails. If you want to bomb the downhills or climb like a mountain goat this is not your bike. If you want a fine bike with outstanding components to hit singletrack fast and affordably this is a great bike. I was torn between this and the Motobecane but the promise of good customer service won me over on the Ibex. Shipped almost fully assembled. All I needed to do was attach the handle bars, pedals and tires and was ready to go. If you want a hardtail for under $900 that is rigged for XC go for this one, i doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rock Hopper and Stump Jumper
    Robert Rush   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2005]
    Strength:

Overall design, components, design and basic look and feel.

Hayes HFX Brakes like to rub which is annoying and noisy. Had problem with bottom bracket but that's what happens when you buy used.

This bike has everything I could want and more. I looked into getting an Raleigh M80, Giant Iguana and a GF but this bike even used and having to spend a little money still is twice the bike for half the price. I would highly recommend this bike and company. Make sure to double check what you are really getting for $600 and then look around Ibex offers great product. This bike may have been a bit much for me but for the $$ I couldn't be happier.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Giant, Raleigh, Trek and Diamondback
    John   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2005]
    Strength:

The bike works well. Push the lever, and the gears shift. Pull the brakes, it stops. Hit a rock and the shock smooths the ride. The saddle is even comfortable.

I haven't found any. I bought the bike because I couldn't find what I wanted at a bike shop at a price I was willing to pay. This bike is inexpensive, so it makes a good starting point to build my dream bike from.

I love my new bike. It weighs 28 lbs, 3 more than the web site claimed. No big deal. I get complements on the way it looks. Most people comment that it looks expensive. Personnally I don't think Deore looks expensive.
    I think that a Mountain Bike has to have a quick release seat post clamp. Try ridding down the mountains around here with your seat adjusted normally and I gurantee you to end up in a heap at the bottom of the trail. Ten bucks at the LBS should fix it.
    Only very basic mechanical skills were required to get the bike out of the box and onto the road. I enjoy working on stuff, the documentation on the components was very adequate. The owners manual from Ibex was old and generic and I suspect was written by the atorney. The staff was excellent... try emailing your LBS at 10:00 at night and getting a response within minutes. Ibex did it!

Bottom Line... I'm a satisfied customer and can recomend Ibex.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, Releigh M60, Trek 3700, Univega
    Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2005]
    Strength:

Quality frame and components. Hayes hydralic brakes have good stopping power. Pretty light and looks great.

Tires arent the best for slippery/muddy conditions other than that I have not found any weaknesses.

The Trophy 880 Disc is a darn nice bike. I was a little concerned about buying one since they only sell online and I have never seen an Ibex bike before. I just couldnt pass up on it though due to the price and the good components. For the $$$ you can't beat an Ibex.

Ibex also has great customer service.

Similar Products Used: not really any
    don h.   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2004]
    Strength:

component group,weight(25 lbs.),fork,price

unable to test,only 3 frame sizes to chose from sight unseen.needs to be partially reassembled

You can not go wrong with an IBEX. After a year of looking & comparing I decided to take a chance with online ordering of my new bike.With an lx component group marzoochi exr pro air and mechanical discs the price of $699-no tax can't be touched by an LBS.Jack the owner was out of 18 and 20 inch frames so upon calling him he said he could put the same bike together on the-pro-frame so I wouldnt have to wait for the new year line in 3 mos.(talk about customer service).The bike arrived the day he said he was going to ship it,yetanother pleasant surprise.The bike was'nt to difficult to assemble and did take some adjustments once together and because the manuals are rather vague I would recomend a person with at least some experience with bike repairs and basic setup knowledge.I havent hit the trails yet,just riding in neighborhood to fine tune.Will report back after some time on the bike.So far it feels very powerful and light.The wtb laser v saddle feels like I could ride all day and night.Thank god the 18 inch frame is big and fits me at 6 foot great.I was worried cause a few reveiwers said the frames seem small but their 20 inch frame would be to big for me.If you really enjoy mountian biking and appreciate quality but don't race or live on a bike this is perfect.this bike will leave a few dollars in the wallet for other hobbies.