GT Zaskar XC Hardtail

Jeff K.   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2013]
Strength:

* Wonderful classic XC racer geometry
* Best climbing bike I've ridden, flyes up hills
* Light and responsive
* I do think the carbon helps absorb the bumbs a bit
* Supersonic speed capable with the right rider
* Great classic GT Zaskar look

* Being a classic forward crouch XC racer you have to be a bit more careful on the descents, definitely not a DH bike
* At 1400g frame weight it's plenty light enough for me, but if you're a current XC racer there are even lighter frames around
* Carbon is not the best material if you're inexperienced and/or tend to crash a lot. Go aluminium or steel.
* The wire for the bottom pull front derailleur catches a bit on the frame, I fixed it so it's perfect now but the stock solution could have been better.
* It's quick steering but there are nimbler bikes for REALLY tight single track. Not the bikes fault, it's made to shine on fast open smooth terrain.

I've been riding MTBs for 20 years, it's still my favorite kind of exercise since it's outdoors, keeps me fit and is so fun that I don't really don't think of it as exercise.

When I started riding it was on a 26" non-suspension bike. Back then that was a "regular MTB" and not at all retro or vintage or anything like that. I had two non-suspension-MTBs like this and my technical skill in attacking single track quickly went through the roof. I competed a bit and I still surprise many of today's "lazy-full-suss-riders" when I show them what I can do.

Like many cyclists I'm also a bit of a tech head and I have to admit I've been kind of taken by the technical revolution that's come to MTB:ing in the last couple of years. For a while there I even owned a very fancy full-suss carbon XC race bike.

That full-suss XC racer was a good bike, and I was fast on it, but somehow the more suspension you but on a bike the more you lose than special connection to the trail. Maybe it's because I grew up on non-suspension bikes and actually learned how to do without suspension - but after having owned full-suss bikes for an extended period of time I've finally concluded that they're not for me.

I'm still fast on the full-suss bikes, the overall speed difference for me that's no longer competing is marginal. But somehow I just feel less involved. A full-suss bike is less of a challenge, there is less feedback and at the end of the day I simply have less fun.

And that's why I bought this bike. After having tried/owned a few of the "new-breed" MTBs with more suspension, more upright seating position and wider bars I've finally come to the conclusion that they're not for me. I grew up on classic forward crouch XC racers with narrow bars and that's still how I like them it seems.

So this GT is turning out to be the best bike purchase I've made in years, for me it feels like coming home again. Everyone should own a narrow-bar-race-crouch-xc-hardtail at least once in their life. It may be classic but for me it's still the most fun kind of mountain biking.

Top Tip 1: 26" wheels are perfect on a XC racer, more responsive, less weight and less wind resistance. Don't buy the hype. Get a great deal on a 26" instead.

Top Tip 2: Don't fit wide bars. 580mm is the absolute maximum I would go.

Top Tip 3: Pick a frame size that let's you stretch out and breath, that's what it's all about.

Top Tip 4: Tilt the saddle forward, get that race crouch going. Your back should be a straight line.

Top Tip 5: My personal choice is a 2x10 gear system over 1x11. This bike is meant to go FAST and you don't want to run out of gears. From my experience 2x10 is also slightly more pedal efficient in higher gears than 1x11.

Nathaniel, a cross country rider from Australia   [Jan 01, 2013]
Strength:

Light. Flickable. Durable.
Polished aluminium frame looked great.
Climbs well.

The frame was stiff and didn't absorb trail chatter. This could be tiring over a long time.
Could be a bit of a handful going fast on rough descents, but this is to be expected on a rigid bike with race geometries.

The 1992 Zaskar was a good cross country bike for forest roads and single tracks.
It also worked well bombing around the streets.
Climbs like a cut snake and the XT group set lasted a long time.

One of the best bikes available at the time.
Recommended.

chepe   [Jun 24, 2012]
Strength:

last the test of time

they dont make bike like those any more

Very nice bike rides like new every time I ride it.

Mat   [Jun 22, 2012]
Strength:

This bike is awesome. Had my 96 Zaskar LE from new and it copes with anything. I no longer have requirement for this bike. Full XT apart from LX hubs, zero skewers in blue and flite titanium saddle in yellow and blue to match the decor. I will sell this bike if anyone interested at the right price

You'll never find a better bike

Eric the Red   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2012]
Strength:

Super stiff frame and yet very lightweigh,.tough as nails. climbs like a rocket and screams down the hills. Bought my Zaskar in 1995 and it changed the way I rode forever. I love this bike! Puchased a full suspension Trek fuel EX9 in 2006 and I still enjoy my hardtail.I started riding in 1982 and still enjoy it at the ripe old age of 50+yrs. GT built a limited edition 500 Zaskar frames in 2008. Not sure if it's the same as an original, but it says a lot about the legendary Zaskar!

GT no longer builds these bikes in the USA.

If you can get your hands on one of the original Zaskars, buy it! It is one of the finest hardtails ever made.Tr

Similar Products Used: Trek 820, Trek 830, Trek 7000,Lightspeed, Specialized stump jumper, Cannondale, Giant, Diamondback.
ClayP   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2012]
Strength:

strong as hell, stands the test of time. No other hardtail compares. It is a classic and has set the bar for hardtails

no longer made

This is the best hardtail ever. I have had 4 over the years - my original 94 Zaskar which I reviewed before got stolen. I replaced it with a Zaskar X which was ok but slightly different fit that I could not get used to. I gave that to my brother and since have built 2 Zaskar LE frames up with XTR drivetrains, Crossmax wheels, and SID race 80mm forks. I am considering buying a third frame to build. Get the pre-2000 frames for the real deal

Tony   Cross Country Rider [Dec 19, 2011]
Strength:

this bike is a legend for a reason, ultra strong and stiff and fast

you can;t buy them anymore

a classic, a legend!

ClawOfDoom   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2011]
Strength:

Utterly bombproof, super stiff and climbes like a mountain goat

No tabs for mounting discs

The reason this bike is still being used after 14 years is because mothing i have tried comes anywhere close to it. I've just refitted the groupset and retro-fitted discs to the back thanks to a mounting plate from A2Z. Hopefully this beast will keep me going for another 14 years. Awesome bombproof bike...

Houseinthewoodsbiketours   Racer [Jun 14, 2011]
Strength:

Super strong, super stiff--indestructible for over 15 years!

hard to find oem parts for 93-98 era, ride can be harsh if you aren't used to it. No disc tabs, if you want to upgrade.

Get a pre-1998 GT frame and build it up into a super snappy hardtail, if you can find one! I bought this bike with paper route money when I was a kid, and I have left it pretty much stock. I have put THOUSANDS of miles on it and it still rides like brand new. The frame is indestructible and crazy stiff, and the OEM parts from its era have outlasted similar components on post-2005 bikes. If you have one, you will keep and ride it forever!

Vis-Vreter   Racer [Mar 06, 2011]
Strength:

strong wheels, light and comfortable saddle,

the bike is to heavy for the price (11,13KG or 24,54lb) and after 2 years of racing the frame cracked down the middle of the top tube.

I when to my local bike store Mason's Bike Inn and claimed the warranty. The owner Mason said that I would get the frame in 2 months, but it been 5 months already and still no frame. Because of this I promised I'd NEVER BUY A GT AGAIN. So I don't know if its GT's fault or Mason's ,but still no frame