GT Tequesta Bike XC Hardtail

Tequesta

lisa   [Apr 16, 2015]
Strength:

the frame, the components, GT Brand

none that i am aware of

I bought my GT for $500 when it was selling for $600. I went into the bike shop daily and finally the owner gave me $100 off. I have hand many road bikes since purchasing this but always kept it to ride leisurely with friends on trails. Many yrs later i am riding it with my 6 yr old daughter. The gears are filthy but have held up. I look at the new ones and of course want one but really have no need since i have such an awesome bike. I did change the tires a few yrs back to commuter tires for a smoother ride on the road but they are still great on the gravel.

Thomas Mills   [Nov 20, 2014]
Strength:

Frame, STX components.........good for it's time

None that I have found

I was cleaning out my shed earlier today and noticed my lovely Tequesta sitting there looking a bit lonely. I brought it inside and cleaned it up a bit and looks virtually brand new. I also found the receipt for it when I purchased on 3-3-96. It showed a list price of $579 but paid $417 brand new for it. I still have the original forks but purchased Judy Rock Shox for it right after I bought it. I still have the original tires so it's obvious that I haven't ridden it more than probably 100 miles tops. What I loved most about it when I bought it was that it had similar colors to the St. Louis Rams football team at the time. I still love the team colors of the blue/bright yellow color. I plan on ridding it this spring when I'm not riding my Harley Road King. Tough choice. lol

blake   [Jun 25, 2013]
Strength:

great angles for power, sprints etc, decent weight, strong....but not indestructable

a little aggressive for long rides, no shocks.

This was my second mt bike back in 97. Had a raliegh prior with much less aggressive angles and it just seemed like it was in the way all the time. This thing keeps your head down and is ready to play.

I see a lot of statements that it is indestructible to which I have to disagree. I think because of the geometry the front end takes a beating, I ended up bending 2 forks, one was a replacement Judy that should have ever caved, I also burnt out a couple cranks/bottom brackets. In the end it was probably from abuse but just to make sure you don't go dirt jumping what is basically a 97 xc frame, its not indestructible.

TEF   [Jul 26, 2012]
Strength:

frame strength, quality parts

purchased new in 1996. Still an excellent bike after 16 yrs. Recent upgrades: Thudbuster seat post, Rock Shox Recon fork. Am only a casual trail and forest service road rider but this bike performs and have never had any equipment failures.
for a steel frame bike, it still feels light. Was made in USA. cant beat that!

6sharky9   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2011]
Strength:

Of course the triple triangle moly frame.

None so far with the frame.

I guess my first quality frame build up. It seems to handle pretty good. The front shock added quite a bit of weight to it though. I'm sure more than 5 lbs. Can feel the difference over the rigid fork. I plan fully polish the frame. Add a better front shock and some carbon pieces to help bring the weight down a bit. Mavic cross ride rims as well. So far I love the bike and plan to keep it for a while. I would reccomend the frame to anyone for a build up.

Similar Products Used: Wally world mongoose. (XR-75 and XR-200)
Rafael Luvisotto   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2011]

quero comprar, GT Tequesta amarelo e preta, Alguem pode me ajudar, Obrigado

JackC   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2011]
Strength:

Light and strong, withstands the test of time

This bike was bought at a local dealer in 1994 and had stayed in great shape until now, as I have upgraded to a full suspension. This thing is indestructible, I've done drops and rockgardens, and easily put at least 100 miles on this bike, and aside from a few mechanical parts, I have had little trouble with it. No cracks in the frame, which surprised me. Seriously a nice retro ride, or can serve as a commuter bike.

Similar Products Used: K2 A99, Specialized hardrock
BrodPee   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2011]
Strength:

Indestructible but lightweight. Headtube is sized 1 1/8" so can pretty much take any standard suspension forks.

No replaceable derailleur hanger.

This is a very good Chro-mo mountain bike if you want the feel of steel but will beat you up on rugged trails. I recommend putting on 80mm travel suspension fork and a suspension seatpost and you have a very nice hardtail that will last a long time.

Similar Products Used: This is my first non-suspension hardtail mountain bike. Trek 4900, 2005 Diamondback SL Super, Giant Iguana SE, 2010 Diamondback Response
2DK   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

light for a steel bike, great color way, decent components

I'm not a big fan of the Gripshift; may change it out

I bought this bike off of craigslist for $150. It came with Rock Shox Quadra 21r forks with worn elastomers (fork was totally compressed) and brand new Michelin Wild Gripper tires (went straight onto my 2010 GT Avalanche). The GT team colors is what made me fall in love with this specific bike and I saw the potential it had with some minor upgrades. Sadly, like most bikes, my new GT is made in China unlike this 1995 Tequesta that was made in California. The Mavic rims are made in France and Shimano STX components from Japan.