GT Ricochet XC Hardtail

Ricochet

Joseph Burkett   [Jun 04, 2013]
Strength:

Triple Triangle design is super strong and stiff. Hooks up in the loose stuff and transfers power well. I am a 190 pound rider and this thing supports every bit of my weight. I converted mine to a sinlge speed full rigid and its working out great. The welds are awesome. I could have used a frame a bit smaller but I got it for a steal from a friend. Old School GT!

The bar and stem are really the only weak link. However, even the bar is Kore brand. I think it would have faired better with a riser. Given its age, there are no disc brake mounts. 26.8 seat post diameter.

Overall, the bike with the factory goodies was decent. If you are lucky enough to get a frame and build it with you own components, do it. It will have with if not out last newer hardtails out there.

G-force   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2011]
Strength:

Sweet platform. Strong, Aluminum, fairly light, Takes punishment. Less expensive than the zaskar.

Cranks had a recall on them

This bike was a sweet machine for the price. It took everything I could throw at it and I'm not your typical trail rider. I hammered this thing within an inch of it's life and the frame always held strong. I replaced just about everything else, but the frame took it. My dream bike was the '96 zaskar but the price at the time was rediculous so I went with the '96 ricochet and dont regret it. If youtube was around in the late 90's you would know my bike, cause we did some wickid stuff on the streets of Portland until ultimately the streets bit back and I had a terrible accident that resulted in a brain hemorage. I dont ride much anymore but pulled the bike out recently and gave it a tune with the intention to start riding again.

djewing   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2010]
Strength:

Frame, good bike, I weigh 275 and have owned this bike since new-12 yrs+ I do jump and am very tough on bikes but this has held up with exception of the oem shifters. Everything else including wheels had been rock solid.

Mine was the bars with built in ends - very uncomfortable for long distance riding, Geometry too forward for my tastes. Needs ergo grips too. Brakes are pretty weak when going fast down hill, makes for tough control on trails or street.

I have considered going to a full suspension XC bike but I have beat the crud out of this and it still is together and looks great. I like this bike and I plan to upgrade it, hang on to it a bit longer and maybe repaint it-the 90's purple is looking a bit dated :)
This is a great bike especially when youconsider how much you can pick one up for. Great bike for trail riding, commuting pretty thrashworthy IMHO.
Find on on ebay or CL for $250 and ride the heck out of it.

Similar Products Used: '88 Univega Hardtail MTB
ichi_speed   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2009]
Strength:

They don't make frames this strong anymore. The frame fits me perfectly and the whole bike setup is a pleasure to ride on trails.

The saddle that came on it when i got it, doubtful it was stock, was trash. So were the bars and stem. No rear disc mounts.

This bike will outlast me.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stump Jumper.
Carlos   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2009]
Strength:

The rims....I am totally amazed by the beat down I have given these rims for the past 10 years, and still they are not twicked!

The neck are seems to get loose very often

I havve riden this bike in Washington State, Florida, Alaska, and now California for the past 10 years and only had to change tires out. I really don't take care, just abuse and it still takes care of me on the rough trails!

Andy Sellhorn   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2009]
Strength:

Bomb proof after all these years. Easily converts into a road rider.

Front forks (Rock Shox XC) and strap peddles.

With a switch of the tires I can beat on this like I do my Jekyll. Simply a wonderful bike. I have no reason to replace it. V brakes work fine, haven't broken anything but spokes and ribs. I prefer this bike over my road bike because I'm just as fast, more comfortable and not affraid to hop potholes or curbs, dodge cars or weave into small animals.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll, Specialized Allez (GT serves both purposes)
Daniel Berzen   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Very solid frame, very light, aluminum. Genius triple triangle design, nice paint job on the frame. Well priced bike in stores. The tires that come with the bike are very nice, and the brakes are quite responsive.

The fork leaves a little to be desired, the RockShock Q21 that came stock with mine is way outdated and is soon to be replaced with a bomber. Pedals were replaced with nice Ritchey clipless. And handlebar is to be replaced, but thats my own fault.

The weight of the bike is unbelievable light for a bike form its time, and the brakes are very good. But the weight basically saved my life as i went 25km/h head on into a tree. If I was riding a heavier bike, I would have suffered neck damage. This bike can take a lickin and keep on tickin. A true legend of its time. Good bike for downhill riders, at least thats what I find its best for.

Similar Products Used: A few Trek bikes, specialized rockhopper pro bares a striking resemblance to the richochet.
peter a   Racer [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

The bike s great for beginners but the shock and components are only good for begginners who wont give it a lot of abuse. great breaks

Indys, shimano platforms, cheap bottom bracket, bad components.

good for a recrational rider who doesnt abuse there bike