GT Backwoods Bike XC Hardtail

GT Backwoods Bike XC Hardtail

Backwoods

[May 30, 2015]
john b

Strength:

Even with my fat 200 lbs on this frame I couldn't break it. Bike still looks almost new after 15 years. It has proven itself so well that I dropped 1200 in upgrades... xt/xtr, Mavic tubeless rims, and rockshox did fork. Just a great durable frame!

Rear frame hanger got tweeked once...

Outstanding, durable bike

[Dec 29, 2012]
David Burrow

Strength:

Lightweight in its day. Lasts forever.

Bought my GT Backwoods in 1997 and hammered it. Upgraded to Rockshox Judy XC forks in 1998 and hammered it even more. This bike took everything I could throw at it from commuting to trail riding to competition. Then I got a wife and kids and it fell into disuse. Now back in the saddle and got myself a Specialized FSR XC Comp for trails. I have now rebuilt the GT as a commuter. Had to change the bars and stem to create a shorter cockpit for my older and slightly more robust frame, still love it though. This is a bike I will never part with and was a bargain to boot.

[May 27, 2012]
Skrufryder

Strength:

Frame is supper strong, and fast!

Stock parts????

I dought mine off craigslist from the original owner. He sold it cuz he upgraded to a newer avalanch. guy wanted disc breaks. I bought just as a cruiser/loaner. I have 3 other GT's. As with every one else who has a GT I wouldnt sell or trade mine EVER!

Stumpjumper,rockhopper random DB's, Trek 950,3700,4500, Schwinn's, Religh's.

[Apr 27, 2011]
thekreele

Strength:

Lightweight. Decent forks.

Rim Breaks

This bike has proved to be a solid trail bike throughout San Luis Obispo County trails. Its a little rough, like most hardtails. But its lightweight and fast. The Uphill climbs are a breeze, and it flies on small jumps due to its light weight. I'm probably gonna upgrade to a full suspension ride soon, but for now this is a good hardtail. Its great for getting around town quick, and easy. I used to keep up with my friend on his road bike using that GT until I got a roadbike of my own.

Cheap Hardtails

[May 14, 2010]
jonny4475

Strength:

durable, light frame for mntn bike for easy portage across streams & 3rd floor apt. living. this bike has been used for 16yrs as a cross country bike and daily commuter.i added a judy fork in 1995 and over the years i've pretty much replaced everything that came with it, but the frame has outlasted a nice mongoose mntn bike and a few decent road bikes and remains my favorite.handles real nice for trail riding, powerlines, etc...

Havent experienced it firsthand as i'm more of a trail/cross country rider, but my landlord (who turned me on to aluminum frames) had his frame crack after a couple seasons of hard off road/downhill riding.

solid bike.

1995 IBOC zero-g

[Feb 16, 2010]
bonjovi9876

Strength:

excellent condition

cheap parts, already swapped

Some moron didn't know what he threw away. Only thing wrong with it was a stripped crank arm at the pedal threading. Dumbass

[Jan 22, 2010]
kiwimtb

We have a 97 Backwoods that my husband rode for a number of years then we he upgraded I inherited it. It's now been ridden for over 12 years - still shifts smoothly, everything working brilliantly, no upgrades/replacements on drivetrain.... Only just replacing it as I've finally stuffed the shocks and my husband has been trying to convince me to use disc brakes for years.

[Feb 07, 2002]
Paul Trowell

Strength:

The GT Backwoods is one of the strongest bike ive used. I am over 6 foot and 100kg and ride my bikes very hard. The Backwoods has never failed

Brakes- They tend to no go the distance

If you do not want to spend alot of money and want a good STRONG bike then go GT Backwoods

[Jan 26, 2002]
Ewan give me something and i'll ride over it !!!!!

Strength:

Building block for a do anything solid ride. Cool GT suspension hub on the front

Almost completely stripped it in about 6 months. Beefed up the components

If you need a frame and see one of these get it quick. This is a strong responsive frame that will last like no other. Despite all the recent changes and trends in frame design, this one is still up there with the best.

GT Karakoram: Chromo equivelent.

[Sep 05, 2001]
Brad Williams

Strength:

The frame is very stiff and rigid. The triple-triangle design, like all GT bikes, provides superior stability and lets you feel the road/trail extremely well. The rapid fire shiftersThe rims and components are very durable and need very little maintenance.

With the stock cromolly front fork and the stiffness of the frame, trail riding over rocky ground can be jarring.

This bike is a bottom of the line GT aluminum frame, but is suitable for a novice racer. Overall, it was the most bike for the money in it's class with the nicest components. Frame type and brand is personal preference, but if you're looking for a practically indestructible frame with good medium/high quality components and is suitable for trail or street, this bike is a bargain.

GT Avalanche