GT Avalanche 2.0 XC Hardtail

GT Avalanche 2.0. The quintessential go-to GT All-Terra MTB is loaded with huge features: Rock Shox XC28TK suspension fork, Tektro Draco Pro hydraulic disc brakes, 27-speed Shimano drivetrain and the legendary 6061 alloy aluminum Triple Triangle frameset

GTGuy8   All Mountain Rider [May 10, 2015]
Strength:

Frame is bombproof, Weight, gears, brakes are also very good...

None for me!

Great Bike... I use it on Cross Country events, local trails and Downhill and it performs amazingly. Drops Offs no problem, better than a lot of Soft Tails and Full Suspension I have seen. On the uphills it is light, so is easy to pedal, and very smooth. Such a solid frame and very nimble... Upgraded the shock on mine, so now she feels better over the rough trails... Love GT's, Thanks for making another great bike! I do some freeride and Urban stuff as well and I find it a great handling bike wherever I go. If you are thinking of getting a Full Suspension, think again, this is a real great bike!

Will   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Great frame. I love the geometry which allows me to sit up a little straighter. The fork is not great, but not bad for the money. I got it clearanced for 450$. Great rims, tires, adequate shifters, solid crank, seat post, and cool headset.

I upgraded the forks to Rock Recon Silver. At 46 and a grandfather, I need a great shock.

Good bike, with a few upgrades it is great.

B Johns   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2013]
Strength:

Nice component suite for the money. Rides well. Tough frame that exhibits very little flex. I don't mind the stock tyres as they've lasted well for the kilometers and hook up nicely on the corners (I ride sub-tropical hinterland/coastal trails). I swap between them and Schwable Landcruisers for road use. The fork is not bad and I've hadn't had any issues with it and I like to think I go at a reasonable clip down the rough stuff. Brakes are okay but after swapping out the stock pads for nukeproof trail ones they're a lot better.

The WTB Pure-V saddle is quite comfy too.

No component failures. Usual regular maintenance and surprisingly little adjustment has been needed.

On the heavy side but meh if that saves me $$$ then cool. If I wanted to spend money to reduce weight then I guess a lighter tubeless wheelset and maybe a 2 piece crank/bb.

Like others have said, treat the stock flat pedals as placeholders for something decent :)

Australian 2010 model. Spec: Alivio shifters and front derailleur, FSA three piece triple crank, Deore Shadow rear derailleur, Deore 9sp cassette. Tektro Draco discs. Suntour XCR LO 100mm forks. Alex rims, all-terra hubs, stem, bars, seat post, WTB Pure-V saddle. Maxxis Mobster tyres (2.35 F, 2.1 R).

tk   Downhiller [Aug 25, 2011]
Strength:

very comfortable bike, feels good -looks good too
black and blue sporty looking

low end crank and chain, brakes fade when heated(TEKTRO)
shocks are too light too (bottom out even with heavier springs)

for the same money, Santa cruz or Giant and Kona *have superior parts from the get go. Larger guys 210 plus need more strength in parts for hills and trails. my old Kona blows my gt away in the crank. the place who sold me my bike was whining about better gear usage on my part.For the record my Kona was 7 years older and 200 bucks cheaper never blown a crank. the Gt i destroyed pedaling up a slight up hill trying to train my legs...cheap! put proper parts on these bikes we are on to this now! i have 4 kids that will never purchase a GT now. GT stock shocks are weak too, ive bottomed out lots - forcing me to lock out...so whats the point of a shock if its locked out? if your a well built guy over 200LBS - buy a KONA or Santa Cruz Giant.
GT is fine for a joy ride to sev for a slushi only. for hills and trails leave it to the real bikes!

Similar Products Used: KONA...much stronger bike not as comfortable
Pat Mgroin   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2011]
Strength:

Love the disk brakes! The ride is predictable and you get a good steering feel going downhill. Shocks are very good for it's price. Steering is quick and responsive. Light!

Hmm...Not a full suspension bike?
None for me

All in all the best bang for the buck. You will not regret it. High end components, you would need to pay almost double to get the name "Trek" on this bike...if you know what I mean.
Love it!

Gibbo_MTB   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2011]
Strength:

Strong frame, great stabilty

Forks are not very good, rear hub isn't that strong

This bike can take a pounding and still ride fine. I've taken it off drops and all and never seems to have a problem. However the forks are not strong and bottom out all the time. Rear hub is very easily damaged, would recommed that hubs get replaced after a year. All in all a great bike for those who are begining and need something that will last them a long time.

Similar Products Used: Orbea (can't remember the modal)
Harley98c   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2010]
Strength:

Price for barley ridden 2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 disc.

Not enough experience yet.

Just getting into MTB but I wanted something decent and the price was right. Will add additional review after 1 year of ridding. Will ride local trails and basic road cruises with family.

Similar Products Used: Nishiki, Giant
Ivan   Downhiller [Aug 25, 2010]
Strength:

this bike has a very stiff and frame which allows for alot of stability. the stock fork doesn't leave alot to be desired either. i've never had any problems with mine

Front Suspension can have a mind of its own sometimes, but over all not to bad.

i usually ride soft tail bikes but this hard tail GT made me rethink hardtails all togather. this bike is deffenetly a fun ride for anybody how is interested in beginning mountain biking seriously.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2010]
Strength:

I purchased this bike from a good friend of mine who bought it new and became a serious rider. He rode it hard for a year and I have now have rode it hard for a year. We ride some really hard trials and lots of rocks and some minor downhill action. I have crashed a few times on this bike. It is unbelievable how tough this bike it. It is very stable and handles well. I love this bike and now feel some brand loyalty to GT for making such a great bike. To make the bike go faster ride often and develop your lungs and legs and BAM your bike will fly. Once the derailleur is dialed in it seems to stay that way...but I clean my bike often.

It is a little heavy...when getting into serious riding you can feel the weight. But its more of a workout right?

This bike took me from a beginning mountain biker to a serious intermediate rider and is still going strong. I would Highly recommend this bike to anyone that want to really ride but cant afford a high end $2000 bike. It is tough as they come and it feels very stable to me. I clean my bike every three rides and keep it tuned up and have had NO PROBLEMS with this bike. I just took it downhill in the mountains here and bombed some pretty steep drops and all (butt hanging off of back tire ride) and it just took it like a champ. I love this bike! Thanks GT

Similar Products Used: I had a Nishiki Colorado 1997 model. Not as stable and tough as this bike.
fishmandan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2010]
Strength:

strong frame, lock out, disk brakes.

tires suck

the bike is great. loved everything about it except the kenda nevegal tires, no traction what so ever. i've put about 200 trail miles on it going up and down steep coastal mountain trails. bike handles great even when the trails get technical and steep. i will put new forks on the bike eventually but for now thay seem to be holding up just fine. if your looking for a good bike to get started out on then this is the one, i know ill be holding onto mine for a long time.