GT 2001 Avalanche 1.0 XC Hardtail

2001 Avalanche 1.0

Sakotto   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2011]
Strength:

Amazingly fast and strong for 10yr old bike. can climb and decent really well. Avid disc brake work without flaws every time.

color...

Great for beginner bike who looking to get the skills down before move on to full suspension.

Similar Products Used: this was my first bike
basharteg   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2008]
Strength:

I reviewed this bike 6 years ago, and I'm still riding it. The Frame is as good as GT is reputed to be. I've changed switched the pedals egg beaters and the cranks to XT. I also upgraded the front derailer to XT. But I'm still rocking the Judy fork and the avid brakes. This bike is awesome. Been riding it for over 6 years, changed the drive train twice.

Rear hub finally snapped about 3 years ago. I replaced it with an XT hub, had the rim replaced because I couldn't part with the Syncros Big Box rims. Replaced the moto raptor tires with a specialized set two years ago. I wore the others out.

What can I say? I've used it hard for 6 years, and it still is everything I need. That's value.

Similar Products Used: been so long since I bought the GT, I've forgotten
Stephen Schlather   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Geez, where do I begin? Components are incredible for the price, esp the disc brakes. You could ride the frame through a minefield and not have to worry about it cracking. XT derailleur. Incredible climber, handles downhill extremely well. The pretty colors.

Headset, tires, saddle, bottom bracket.

This is an updated review from one I submitted back in October. I rode this baby 5 days a week for almost 9 months through some pretty nasty conditions. Right now it's in the shop getting a few fixes.

Let's see, problems: bad chainslap, creaking headset, broken seal on rockshox, regularly broken spokes due to chainslap and badly adjusted derailleur (my mistake though), replaced bottom bracket due to creaking.

The upside is that all the repairs were very inexpensive and most were "normal" maintenance issues so there's nothing to worry about there. Bike's in the shop getting the headset overhauled, rear derailleur adjusted and broken seal on suspension fixed. Total price is less than $20.

I haven't seen this bike anymore online or in the local stores. If you see one though I suggest you snag it as quick as possible. This bike is well worth the $650 it costs and leaves your budget open for upgrades and maintenance costs. I wouldn't be hesitant at all to enter a race with this bike. Also, Fire XC Pros made all the difference when riding this thing. This bike and those tires were meant for each other.

Similar Products Used: GT XCR 4000 - not exactly similar, but hey, it's a GT.
Kenji   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2001]
Strength:

Disc brakes.

Ride Profile too high. Front suspension a little weak. Gonna get air cartidges.

I have only ridden this bike once. After reading the reviews, I put my own seat on. Also, I wasn't crazy about the riser bars, so I out my own on. Both lighter weight, but I'm really not to concerned about this boat anchor. Also, Co. Cyclist sells these thing with 170cm crank arm, so adjusting from a lower ride height and the shorter crank-arm took a bit getting used to.
Today I punished this bike. It was flawless! I pinched a tube in the rear (my fault), I was purposely trying to hammer the rear hub to see how it would hold up. Even with the Deore components, this bike kicks ass! Brakes, gearing, shifting, perfect. I plan on hitting this bike hard for the first year, as Pacific's (Huffy, whatever) warranty appears to be 1 year, so break 'em while you got'em.
Actually, I fully expect this bike hold up well over time, a bit heavy, but so what, the disc brakes are worth their weight.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Homegrown XT
vader punk   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2001]
Strength:

SMoooth, Fast, shifts great, just slides in...

on a steep up hill she likes you to find your geer a little faster tahn I'd like but...

I was riding a steel Schwinn a frined gave to me... this is like a cadillac or Mercedes to me... I rode RIdgline last night, today, and may go again hre in a little bit... I just bought her on Friday.

uphills are amazing... she just digs in and grabs on, if you can keep the pedals moving, she'll go....

down hills are FAST... when I let go of the brakes, it feels liek I am pedaling... I mean she gains momentum FAST!...but stops on a dime.. which did cause me 2 wrecks so far as I am not use to the disc brakes... but I respect them.

I feel spoiled rotten...

Vader_pun ker

Similar Products Used: Rode a Fisher, really like the Klein Attitude..but...almost got a full suspension, liked the price for this hard tail.. and did not like the bounce of the full suspension...
Kenji   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2002]
Strength:

disk brakes, rugged frame, chain, and price.

BOAT ANCHOR

4 months of abuse - So far, so good. While this bike is extremely heavy, I love it. I beat the crap out of it and it asks for more, gearing is great for climbs, just needs a better shock. ehh, for $699, shouldn't complain.

Similar Products Used: york barbells
Patrick   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2002]
Strength:

Strong high-quality frame, Avid disk brakes, decent Shimano drivetrain, nice Syncros 2-bolt 6061 seatpost, Ritchey Logic clipless pedals

A bit heavy overall, some crappo generic parts (GT stem, Syncros riser bars)

Very solid and smooth bike. Avid brakes are amazing. Recommend you swap out stem and handlebar (way too heavy and awkward even compared to budget aftermarket alternatives). Rockshox Judy XC is decent performer, but plastic pre-load adjusters and steel steerer are cheesy. Some "freeride" feel to bike (e.g., robust frame, rim & hubs, SDG saddle, 100 mm-travel fork, upright riding position) with corresponding weight penalty. XC-oriented rider like me had to make a few adjustments. However, EXCELLENT VALUE for $650 (or ~$800 if you include my parts substitutions). Great looks to boot.

Similar Products Used: Trek 950
Kyle Kiberd   Cross Country Rider [Dec 18, 2001]
Strength:

Nice bike, lightweight (for what I am used to). The Avid discs are great, stop on a dime. nice color scheme

The brakes squeak when wet. The stock hub is no good, I went through 3 of them in one week, but GT upgraded it for free and I havent had any problems since.

Too bad GT is going out of business, it will break my heart to see the GT line in my local wal-mart. I hope the new company (Huffy or whatever) can maintain the warranty, if not then I will go back to cannondale or trek. The bike is great, I love it. I have only had it for six months and so far so good. I just hope it stays that way.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F400
allan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Great frame, shifts smooth, climbs like a goat, Avid discs are better than the brakes on my car.

Seat is really hard, Judy fork started clicking(but still works great) after a couple of months.

With the GT prices like they are now, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone looking for a quality weekend hardtail. I've put this bike through some abuse, and it keeps coming back for more. No major problems at all so far.

Similar Products Used: Trek Hybrid and a couple of Wal-mart bikes to see if I liked the sport(mistake).
Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2001]
Strength:

Compared to my old ride, a GT Pantera(mid 90's), this bike is a God. The shock works great despite its noise making. The shifters work well and haven't failed me in emergency situations. The Avid discs are fantastic, can't beat the feel they give you on the trail.(aside form Hayes's)

I am not too keen on the erect riding position. It feels as I don't have enough weight on the front wheel. Other than that I've had no problems.

Great bike for the price. I worry a bit about the warranty but I don't believe I am in danger of killing the frame at 140lbs. I've heard some complain about the componets but untill the let me down I will stay behind them. One would hope Pacific continues the brand name but only time will tell.
I recommend this bike for people like myself, a college student(UVA rocks) that lives near some nice trails, because its a strong bike that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. This keeps you on the trails as much as possible amidst those evil classes.

Similar Products Used: My old GT Pantera, which I really don't think you can call similar.