GT 1998 Avalanche XC Hardtail

GT '98 Avalanche

rockasockee   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2011]
Strength:

I've owned it for 12 years and it still takes a pounding without showing any age or weakness.

Nothing at all.

realizing this is an older bike, if you're thinking of purchasing an avalanche or zaskar (the avalanche le is basically a zaskar with lower end compenants) I would highly recommend this bike as a superb hardtail that fits better than most. I've ridden this bike over 3000 miles on every type of trail imaginable and it has never let me down. It's a keeper and I don't think i'll ever get rid of it! Great bike for both beginners and veterans alike.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher, Giants, Specialized, Jamis, Kona etc.
Ryan   Racer [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

This bike withstands anything. I have put it through every kind of terrain and pushed it to the max. It has never failed me. I have been racing for 4 years and I kept the bike stock for the first 1.5 years. The bike has quality components that can easily be upgraded if you desire. Marzocchi rules!

The crank squeeks after used a couple years, but by then it's time for an upgrade anyway. The bike starts off heavy out of the box because of the Bomber, but it's well worth it.

If you can still get your hands on this bike, go for it. It is sweet. I love Marzocchi and would have a hard time buying anything else. The Avalanche will take so much abuse and just keep going.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F2000
greg   Weekend Warrior [May 05, 2006]

The bike has lasted almost 10 years and it is still going strong. My front suspension is on its way to the grave so i am shopping for a new suspension...not a new bike. If anyone knows what a good shock for this bike is please email me thanks.

Andrew   [Jan 06, 2001]
Strength:

stiff frame, great paint job doesn't scrath easily like trek, rides smooth, light cheep over all great bike.

comes with mavic 221 which are to week and other than that nothing is week on this bike

Bottom line is that this bike is the toughest bike out there. I race every weekend and i am an agressive rider and this fram has held up through everything. some parts have broken, but hey that happens on every bike when you race.

Similar Products Used: gt timberline/ and friends bikes
matt   [Dec 05, 2000]
Strength:

frame & fork are the BEST. i like the part when i broke the frame and they replace it for free...now i upgrade to disc brakes

well, the frame breaks. but that isnt such a bad thing as long as you dont bust ass

i love this bike. sad to see the origional frame go but out with the old and in with the new!

Similar Products Used: other stuff
Kory   [Nov 10, 2000]
Strength:

The frame is very stiff and held up good,the Z.2 fork is awesome!

The Stx crank and whatever the BB was Creaks badly after awhile (probably just needs some lube)

what are u guys with the LE talking about! mabye has better components but The Z.2 is better than the judys!

Similar Products Used: couple rigid bikes, and some friends hardtails
JaSe G   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2000]
Strength:

I actually own a GT Avalanche LE which I find is alot lighter and better than the Avalanche. The frame is light, but the Judy's just ain't enough travel...keep jaring my arms. Overall this bike is good, especially if you also like trial riding, jumping table tops etc.

They rear wheel is way too light and on steep up hills it slides to much, no tracktion. Other than that its pretty sturdy.

This bike is Great on rides. I own a 16" frame and its just perfect for Trial things. A bit small on rides though so I would recommend an 17-18" Frame depending on your size. Forks need to have more travel and rear wheel has to have a stronger and heavier rim. All over its a really, really light, neat machine that will give you FUN. And thats all there is to MTBing!

Similar Products Used: GT Backwoods, GT Avalanche
Johnny T Nordahl   Downhiller [May 08, 2000]
Strength:

The frame is light and stiff, very stiff. In fact, it's the best frame I've ever used. The components are good and it is good downhill.

Toe clips and STX-RC cranks at this price ain't good.
The rest is perfect.

This is a good cross country bike, but it ain't quite as light as I mean that a cross country bike should be.
I use it most for downhill/freeride were it works almost perfect (short travel fork and no rear suspension), but it's a blast down Aronsløypa, which is a skiing senter!!