Giant XTC XC Hardtail

The XTC opens the door to hardtail heaven. This incredible value has a nimble, responsive aluminum frame and a RockShox Duke XC fork for comfort and control.

boo radley   [Oct 30, 2013]
Strength:

Things I liked: reasonably light-weight compared to other bikes in the price range. Reasonably decent components: Shimano hydraulic brakes, DeoreXT RD, nice KMC chain, etc. Something about the geometry makes this bike climb like mad. Nice 20mm hub on front wheel. Great frame.

Seat is very uncomfortable, but that's going to be given for many folks/bikes. No QR seat post collar. Umm...a bit twitchy? This is both good and bad.

This is my 2nd MTB, and 2nd hard-tail. I previously made a mistake by just buying a $500 bike off the floor at a chain outlet, and so with this second bike really spent some time comparing 29'ers in my price-range $1-1.5k. I will say check the sizing carefully. It's a "L" but I'm 6'1" with long legs and this bike fits me perfectly, because it's a 20" I believe.

Ralph Reinacker   [Jan 15, 2013]
Strength:

Nice strong frame, nice components...not the top of the line but nice and reliable. The wheels, handlebars,seat post, seat and all moving components have functioned very well. The bike is not heavy and it is not super light either....But it isn't a 5K bike. I raced this bike this season and it performed flawlessly, uphill downhill, rock gardens, roots log crossings muddy creek crossings and log jumps, it has proven to me to be a strong bike over all. I have nothing better to compare it to But I would buy another one if this one were to get stolen or damaged beyond repair. the tires Maxxi Aspens are also great with low rolling resistance although I have since changed a couple of times just searching for something better.

BB became dirty early on but was dissembled and cleaned which fixed the problem

I have had this bike long enough to give a true review. If components are acting up as soon as you ride the bike it probably isn't the bike. Either the rider is inexperienced or the mechanic is inexperienced or he just missed something. So guys lets just stick to the facts. GREAT bike for the money I would choose it again. I think the component group is a perfect blend of quality, weight, price and durability.

Ken S.   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2012]
Strength:

The bike is very light compared to an entry level bike around $500-$800. You really are paying for the frame. It climbs quite well and the suspension is great, you just float over rocks and bumps. (I live in AZ, and there are a lot of rocks to deal with).

If you're not used to a 29er it can almost feel like you are too high up because of the frame geometry. It takes some getting used to. The bike doesn't feel super stable on the downhills, but it isn't really meant for bombing.

I bought this bike about two months ago, and while that isn't enough time to be completely "one with the bike" I feel like I've had enough saddle time to write a review.
Starting off, the bike (2012 model) is really all about the frame. The groupo is average to poor, but the frame is light, stiff and strong with great geometry for xc riding. I see it as a great second bike (or if you have money first bike) that you can really race with. The first couple rides threw me off (literally) because the frame geometry was so different for me. I've since gotten used to it but at first it was hard for me to ride feeling so high up and angled up. It almost feels like the front wheel is too far forward compared to the rest of the bike when you first get it.
It isn't the most manuverable bike, being a 29er, so if you're used to throwing the bike around this may not be for you. The wheel base is pretty long on the large, so it's kinda hard to be nimble on it. You really just have to take advantage of those big wheels and roll over stuff while working on technique so you don't get bucked off or go flat bouncing off a rock. I crashed more times on this bike that on my first mountain bike just because of how different it felt. Change isn't bad, it just takes some getting used to. I've found the sizes to run a little big. I'm 5'10 and the large is too big for me, but I went with it based on the stores suggestion (always go with you gut!). The bars are nice and wide, so those of us with broad shoulders are set up great in that area. It feels pretty natural and after shortening the stem it fit pretty great.
The components are average, Deore rear detaileur and Alivio (I think) front deraileur. The fork is pretty good though, it's really all about the frame and fork on this bike.

killabyte   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2012]
Strength:

light, nimble, strong, very fast

the finishing for the seatpost collar seems not reliable. I dont know what` s wrong with the front SLX derraileur but give some trouble i have never had any trouble with a such a component. SLX brakes quite good

just add a good double riser handlebar and go for a nice run, no complaints so far. Kenda tyres (small block eight) are one of the best ive ever ridden, ultra fast and very complete unless heavy mud. They make you run as a F1 on hardpack terrain also good on asphalt, i found the 1.75 wide version a little too narrow but very fast, id prefer a 1,9 or 2,1 so one can run more confident when jumping or when receiving hard punishment downwards. When you get in to mud you will find that mud is thrown off the tyre easily, mud does not stick to the tyre that is awesome.

Its a shame that i bought a frame that is a little bigger for me so i need to make some tweaks to feel it more comfortable.

I will replace the rear derraileur with a shorter one, i dont like the chain shaking too much. The bike is brave and very fast.

Similar Products Used: XTC team, iron horse, specialized stumpjumper
Henrik B   [May 19, 2012]
Strength:

Good for the beginner. Good stiff frame.

If you use it for XC, components will wear out sooner than you know.

Not much to ad. Have rebuild it with complete XT an Reba. That helped.

giantxtc2009   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

Frame/Gears... stock parts are okay but could do with replacing, Giant make alot of their own things that are heavy-ish... but they are strong quality parts !!!

None so far

GREAT BIKE ... BUY ONE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED... ONE OF THE LIGHTEST FRAMES FOR THE PRICE ( 2009 xtc 1 )

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper SL
brian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2011]
Strength:

light weight for the price...good frame for the price... comparable components to other bikes such as trek / gary fisher for the same price... mine is a 2011 xtc 2....i can imagine i will need to get a new front gear set and front derailer and chain soon once these break... i will not get getting the same one as stock

crappy front derailer has busted 3 times and the shifting has only worked properly on the front for 15mins max...tons of 5mm metal shavings on the chain which is prolly from the gears...rear derailer stopped shifting once but i think the real problem was the front with really weird sizing...i would never use the smallest of the 3 front gears even on hill climbs... this will be my 5th time taking it back to get fixed and i've only used if for 1 hour total in about 2-3 months... besides the front derailer comming unhinged and the front and rear shifters in need of constant adjustment... the disc brakes have been warped and because there's only one caliper on the brakes you need to constantly adjust the side of the brake pad that doesn't move to prevent warping and to stop... like others say it's a good frame for the price but you better be ready to constantly bring it to the bike shop or fix and make adjustments everytime you ride

if you can get this frame only and add reliable components i'd say your in good hands... i haven't had it long enough to say if the shocks seat or other components that others have complained about are gonna bust....i have never taken this bike off road...only gentle riding on dry clean flat pavement except one time i went up hill on pavement for 2 mins... so i have baby'd it and have treated it like a road bike and still the gear problems persist...i'll be sure to add more info if more stuff breaks

Similar Products Used: other giants
Heybeerman04   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2011]
Strength:

Great fork with Marzocchi 100mm Air. Awesome frame. Forget the mountain goat, they are slow. You ever seen a bear climb a hill, they fly.

Tires, but I wanted more off than on road. Painful seat.

I bought this as my first MTB. I hadn't rode in over a decade and took this thing out on the trail. At 190lbs and lacking much needed skill, I would have destroyed a lesser bike. I have continuously scared the crap out of myself with what I have been doing and the bike couldn't respond better. When I'm climbing a hill, It almost feels like the bike is doing most of the work. I got the bike on sale but after riding it I would have paid full price. From beginner to advanced, you will not be disappointed.