Giant Sedona XC Hardtail

Giant Sedona XC Hardtail

Giant Sedona

[Aug 20, 2017]
Cam

Strength:

Lightweight, Deore LX rear dearailleur, adjustable stem angle for handlebars. spacers for headset height adjustment. Deore components. 9 speed. Semi slick maxxis worm drive tires. Nice aesthetic appeal and bronze paintwork.

Lockable but non adjustable front fork. A little play in the headset and stem elbow. Very hard seat on LX model.

2007 Giant Sedona LX

similar bike to a hybrid but riding on a lightweight MTB frame and 26in wheels. I bought the bike new over 9 years ago. It has done somewhere around 3000 kms. The build quality is high in the LX model. The standard SDG bel air saddle is very hard riding and I have swapped it out for a Rio brand seat. I have removed the headset spacers or riser rings from below the headset to drop it to lowest position on the steering post in order to improve riding position and get more weight over front wheel. I have also added a padded seat cover to lift me slightly higher again. I have added plastic mud guards, a saddle bag, and triangle bag. It looks great. I am around 6'1 tall and ride a large 21in frame size. These minor changes and replacements have made the bike a far more comfortable ride. I took the bike to a shop for a front derailleur tune up as I was having no luck adjusting the high and low screws. This however, was after 9 years of ownership. The bike shifts smoothly now, and at the right speed and timing, is silky smooth. It is probably best to keep the front fork locked out most of the time. There can be a little movement between both the adjustable headset stem and the front fork, but in most circumstances unnoticeable. This could get worse with serious off-road work for which the bike is not designed for. The most efficient power transfer, as always, will be with the fork locked. Despite a second knob on the supplied sun tour sr fork, there was no adjustable dampening effect noticeable. Perhaps this was a minor fault with my fork from new. The LX model is the highest Model Sedona available and back in 2007 had a very nice bronze paint job. The aesthetic of these bikes is kind of nice, looking something like a cross between a downhill bike and a cruiser geometry wise. I am able to hit around 35km/h on the flat but sometimes low 40 (velo8 computer) with a tailwind. The bike doesn't have the geometry or wheels for real road speed but is no chain and ball either. It feels light and fairly responsive for a not so serious model. The semi slick maxxis tires give good grip on most surfaces and still grip well at medium wear. I have replaced one inner tube but not yet a tire. Nice bike overall.

Marin bear valley, gt tequesta.

[Jun 06, 2011]
Hurstmuscle

Strength:

Comfort
Size

Shifting
Gearset

I purchased a 2007 Sedona DX that was like new. It was very comfortable with front susp, spring seat, and cruiser-style handlebars. It never shifted perfectly, and it had a grinding/slipping noise while pedaling in higher gears. I had it looked over at 2 different LBS's and even had the chain upgraded in order to solve the problem, but it didn't. The overall quality, especially of the gearset seemed cheap.

Trek 7000

[Nov 13, 2010]
Skipper T

Strength:

Light weight, tall, well set up.

None so far.

I bought this bike after riding my old Huffy for about 20 years (off and on). Just started seriously cycling about 4 months ago and the old steel horse was just to heavy. So I bought a Giant Sedona DX. Wow what a great ride. She is faster and smoother than anything else I have ridden. I can keep up with my wife on her Trek now. We ride 7 miles every morning for fitness and ride long trails and single tracks on weekends. I am so comfortable on this bike that I no longer look forward to the ride ending. I plan to add a rack and panniers to carry snacks and gear and such, just to trick it out. I have discovered the bike has a higher center of gravity than my old one, but a few rides compensated for that and I am now very comfortable on the road, on a path or single track. This will be my last bike as it is awesome!! I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for an all around great ride, no, it is not a specialized trail rider or street machine, but with the various types of riding we do it is an outstanding choice. I would greatly recommend this to anyone looking for overall value and a bike that is just a butt load of fun to ride.

Huffy 21 speed mono shock mountain type bike.

[Jul 28, 2010]
volvo245ls

Strength:

I have just purchased my second Giant Sedona 2days ago.
My first was a 9 year old bike I bought from my sister, since her husband wasn't riding it.
It replaced a German Fischer dual suspension that was stolen from me.
While the medium frame was too small for me, I was very impressed by the construction quality and the precision of its function, especially the gearshifts.

The main thing is that at 6'5" and 245 lbs., I was too much for the single wall tires, especially the rear. It quickly warped so badly it could only be temporarily trued.
The front adjustable handlebr stem creaked. The lack of a front suspension made it somehwat tiring and inefficient to ride.

The new bike is amazing!! Having the right size frame (XL) makes all the difference in terms of pedalling efficiency and general comfort.
The double wall wheels feel strong as a vault. The comfort seat and the ergonomic handlebar grips feel fantastic. And the twist grip shifting is very precise.
For my age and riding style, I can't imagine that I'll ever need anything more than this bike ever.
Was very tempted to get an all-mountain Giant for only $200 more.
It had disc brakes, a better fork and the same beautiful brushed aluminum finish as my beloved stolen Fischer. But at a reasonably fit 62 years old, I couldn't imagine doing anything that would warrant more bike than this Sedona!
I bike and bus to work daily. I am now skipping one of the two buses on the commute so I can ride my bike instead!

2007 Fischer from Germany Dual Suspension. New Schwinn dual-suspension for less money at Target that was much heavier despite the aluminum frame, and had the most unimpressive skinny little welds.

[Jul 24, 2010]
Megan

Strength:

Lightweight but solid frame; suspension absorbs anything; seatpost has amazing shock absorber and the seat itself is far more comfortable than I would ever have expected (I've never gotten sore even on half-day rides).

Sometimes I have a little trouble with the gear shift (front especially) but a few minor adjustments significantly decreased the problem. I also found the stock handlebar grips very uncomfortable.

Awesome bike for the money. I don't know how I got so lucky to find one brand new for so cheap (I bought a 2007 model in September 2007). They shop was about to get the next year's model in so he gave me a great deal. I use it mostly on unpaved trails (anywhere from packed dirt to single track mountain trails heavy with roots and rocks), but also occasionally take it out on a paved trail to pull the baby trailer. Works great on all terrain. I hope this bike lasts the rest of my life, and I don't doubt that it will! Highly recommended.

[Nov 14, 2009]
R.A.

Strength:

Strong, durable frame. Good components. Very fast. Going down a grade, I can catch up to people pedaling while I keep free wheeling.

Does not look as "Cool" as new frames. Feels a bit heavy sometimes (Or maybe thats me. Hmmm...)

I've had this bike for 17 years. Aside from a few scratches, the frame is still good and components are still working. I just cleaned it a few days back and it still shines. After reading the other reviews, I don't think I will be letting go of the bike.

None.

[Nov 05, 2009]
cnnball

Strength:

Bulletproof frame. Solid stock components. Excellent geometry. Can't say enough good things about it.

It's a generalist - good all around stock setup, but if you're looking for something more specific, targeted component upgrades are a must.

I've owned this bike since buying it new in 1993. Thousands of miles later and I've only had to replace the tubes and tires. Despite its old school weight, it cruises fast on pavement and handles trails and single track comfortably.

I've been looking to upgrade to a new bike lately, and have only found the same comfort level right out the gate on another Giant... sentimentality or purely a quality/comfort level issue - your guess is as good as mine.

[Oct 04, 2009]
Brendan Urie

Strength:

good shocks, comfortable, fast

One of the best, most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden.

[Jul 13, 2009]
sedonarevur

Strength:

nice smooth ride, good front braking nice style

gears dont always shift smooth, brake wear is more evident on the rear brakes, but that is expected after 3 years i guess

very nice bike for those willing to pay 300

mongoose

[Nov 29, 2008]
Ed Fairman

Strength:

The frames durability is good. Not too heavy either.

Zoakes forks collapsed. This could have been because a previous owner had fitted a travel upgrade.
Smoke and dart tyres lethal on wet roads (but good on general trail riding).

Baught this bike second hand on holiday in Oz for about A$400 as it looked about the best value for money for a "proper mtb".
I think its about 1995 build and its been great bike. Well able to take abuse. The frame has taken a couple of dents and the paintwork is holding up well.
I'm hoping to be burried on it when I die.
Thanks to all who have bothered to rate this truly classic bike.

Spesh Hardrock cromo.