Giant Rincon XC Hardtail

With a lightweight, durable ALUXX aluminum frame built to maximize a 100-millimeter suspension fork, Rincon is ready to explore the path less traveled. Dependable components, including sturdy disc brakes, make it a fun and reliable adventure companion.

• SR XCM 100mm suspension fork
  • 24-Speed Shimano trigger shifting, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur
  • Tektro mechanical disc brakes,
  • Giant XC Alloy rim/Formula disc hub, wheelset

• User Reviews (109)

Grease Monkey   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2013]
    Strength:

Strong Frame, Price, Liked the geometry, Decent shifting

Weight - it's a bit heavy

I got the 2012 Giant Rincon (not disc brake model)

Overall This bike gives you a nice bang for your buck. Its a reasonably priced 26er hardtail entry level bike with decent components and it feels comfortable, performs nicely on & off trail and is tough as nails... already survived a nasty spill without a scratch.

Alex Armanetti   All Mountain Rider [May 03, 2013]
    Strength:

Really strong frame. The bike descends really well (and I ride with guys with DH bikes) and climbs pretty good.

A little heavy and the pedals aren't great. Also the derailleur hanger isn't 100%.

I got this as my first mountain bike and have so far really enjoyed it. I've broken quite a few derailleur hangers which could be due to the rear derailleur. I've done a few big jumps on it and a couple moderate drops. I have done everything from XC races to DH shuttling and the bike has been nothing but impressive. Not the best bike but I would recommend it for anyone getting into the sport.

Similar Products Used: None.
    chris   All Mountain Rider [Mar 26, 2013]
    Strength:

Frame

Everything else on the bike

I purchased the bike because it was a light strong frame. Everything else on the bike was upgraded. The deruillers that came on it are junk. The wheel set was heavy and also junk. The shifters brakes ....ok everything on it was junk. After replaing everything from the headset to the bottom bracket it is a pretty nice frame.

Similar Products Used: TREK 4400 CANNONDALE CAD3 AND CAD2 TREK 830
    Rootss   All Mountain Rider [Oct 07, 2012]
    Strength:

Great bike if you are on a budget. Has a great platform to place upgrades on. Wheels are rugged and have very little warping issues. Feels great.

Have to remember this buke come with lower side of mid range parts. Rear wheel is heavy. Crank is weak

I love this bike. Ride is strong and balance is perfect. Keep in mind to upgrade the parts after you break them. Go to Deore crank hollow tech. This bike is ready to rock straight of the rack. Best bike I have rode for sandy trails

Similar Products Used: Trek wahoo 29er (hate)
    iliketexmex   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2012]
    Strength:

The value. I can ride reasonably hard and still not destroy it. I have put a ton of trail miles on it and still have much of the original equipment.

The brakes are not the best.

I would buy one again. There was nothing better equipped for the money, and for the riding I do it is perfect.

the other dude   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2011]
    Strength:

Durable. Very Very durable.
    Lifetime warranty on the frame (not needed yet)
    Cheap
    Amazing rims (in strength, not sure how light)

Fork Rock Shox Dart one - did not have lockout and after a while (dunno when) it froze - so now it is stuck and acts like a non-suspension fork.
    Pretty heavy
    It likes to be serviced every 500km or so
    Seat post kept on sliding in the clamp - had to add some cardboard around the seat post to make it stay.

I have used this bike since 2006. I did not ride it offroad much (only a handful of times). It was used almost exclusively for commuting.
    I used this bicycle mainly on the roads in Brisbane, Australia. For over 6000km (since 2007 till 2010) I have only changed 2 sets of brake pads - in 2010 I changed the casette and the chain.
    It is a reliable, hard-working horse. I fell of it pretty hard but it had no problem - jumped back on. I did not take care of it - treated it like it is some comsumable good that I'll throw away if it fails - but it didn't fail. When I was riding it to work (at least 15km/day) I used to take it for a service every 3 months - after the service, it rode like a dream.
    I have used it to do a 100km ride (Brisbane to Gold Coast) - with absolutely no issues - it went pretty fast. Although unfit, I averaged 32km/h for the first 40 km (drafting a lot) and 3h 20 min for the entire ride.
    I occasionally used a racer bike to do my commute to work and the difference (for 7km each way) between these two bikes was around 1 minute or so - not that obvious.
    The seat is comfortable (not sure what brand) and although crashed and has some foam sticking out, still holds up.
    I abused the brakes as much as I could (was trying to see if the discs can turn red at one point) but they are still working fine. Changed the pads a couple of times though. The brake pads are bigger than the pads in my new Avalanche Tektro brakes and the Tektros squeak really loud - whereas the Shimanos on the Rincon are quiet.
    The rims are incredible - once at work I got my wheel stuch under a large down-sliding garage rolling door (it was made of VERY thick steel). As the door came on the wheel, I thought: that's it. Instead, the sliding door got bent (this is no joke) and snapped off the rails (there was a 2kw electric motor driving that door via a gearing system). Luckily I didn;t get in trouble for that - the same door damaged the roofs of cars before. I don't know how much the rims weigh (they are double-walled) but I am keeping those babies. The front wheel had absolutely no damage, not even in need of truing!
    Now for the bad.
    The rock shock fork did not have a lockout and at some point it froze. As in, it does not slide anymore. I only found that out when i took it on some trails and realised that I have no suspension. As I used it mainly as a commuter, that was not such a bad news.
    The seat post slides down now - either the clamp is not working well or the post has some problem. Fixed it by wedging some thick paper around the post. Before wedging the paper I tightened the clamp so hard that I broke the lever.
    The bike is pretty heavy but then again... it doesn't cost much.
    The paint has some chips and marks however, considering how it was treated, i'm surprised there aren't more.
    Overall value: it's a great bike for commuting at least. Can't say about mountainbiking ability as I didn't use it for that. While looking now at entry-level bikes, I have a very strong feeling that the components and the quality of my Rincon is higher than what is currently the standard.
    It doesn't get an overall rating of 5 chilis because of the fork and seatpost issues, but for the money, it's a great bike.

Similar Products Used: Wheeler Titanium, GT Avalanche 3.0 (MTB)
    Cannondale System Six (road)
    mtbridder   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2011]
    Strength:

light weight, shifting is amazing!

brakes are ok, shocks are bad (my fork seals came undone after 1 week of ridding and had to get them replaced after mud got into the forks).

I think its a great bike to learn on for there first time downhill riding, but i would reccomend this bike :D

Similar Products Used: redline bmx bike
    ChuckyNYC   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2011]
    Strength:

I have 2 09' Rincon's one is size Small, the other is size Large. Both bike frames are rock solid, have been riding the small one everyday for over 10 months doing urban, single tracks and DJ. Takes everything you throw at it and asks for some more!
    Frame does not flex, Quality welds, geometry, and wheels that come with the bike are decent.

-Heavy
    -Comes with crappy components.
    (Broke bottom bracket, rear hub, seatpost after +/-6 months)

Bottom line is, although i have upgraded all of the components since i purchased the bike it has been nothing but good to me. My bike has been abused everyday which is why i broke most of the original components!
    Get it! Ride it till it breaks and than just upgrade it! Its worth keeping around.

GIANT-FANATIC#5   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2011]
    Strength:

This bike is great! Good fork, and rides nice.

Maybe paint...but thats not that huge of a big deal.

This bike is great for a "medium level rider!!!