Giant Iguana XC Hardtail

MTBCanuck   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2011]
Strength:

Relatively light, Like the Deore set up, Nevegal tires are great

Stock fork awkward to adjust, bike a bit heavy

As a relative novice to the sport, this is a rock solid hard tail you can pick up at a good price. Mine is an '05 with the Hayes MX-2 Mech Discs which have been a nice upgrade for the wet conditions I often ride over the tektro v-brakes on my old GF. Bike handles well on single track and is light enough to be whipped around and hopped over objects no problem

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tarpon
Niice   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2011]
Strength:

Love the Iguana, I've pretty much upgraded the crap out of it but the frame itself is great for the price. Great for what it costs.

Great Frame for the money but looking forward to a Ibis Tranny Carbon!

N23   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2009]
Strength:

Light frame, solid brakes, solid shifters.

Horrible seat. Soft forks but hard for me to compare it to.

Compared to my dept store mtb, this Giant Iguana Disc is rock solid. Smooth to ride, light and easy to maneuver, and confidence inspiring. I haven't taken it to serious xc or trails yet but this bike wants me to try them soon. Just started mtbing this year so this is a step up for me. For a squid riding for the first time, (I ride motorcycles), this is a great bike to get for the first time. Just change the seat, my butt hurt after 30 minutes on it.

Similar Products Used: First real MTB.
<>Alex<>   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2008]
Strength:

Good Strong frame
Strong Rims
Decent components compared to other novice MTBs
Nice looking
REally nice seatpost

Soft Fork
Stock Tyres suck
Handlebars arent good...
Giant seat is terrible

Very good novice/intermediate XC hardtail, really good strong frame and decent gearset, Fork is soft as, but overally a really good mtb but it ISNT a really high end bike so dont expect the world from a cheap bike.

I paid $250 AUD second hand with like 50kms on the clock, Brakes are a bit weak though...

Similar Products Used: Raleighs..
shoguns
BArracuda
David C   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2007]
Strength:

Super stiff frame. Good components in this price range. Never a problem with shifter/gears; even when crusted with pounds of drying mud.

Not many...Upgrade the seat and tires.

I have put thousands of miles on my Iguana. By the sound of some of the reviews, I am thinking that the older Iguanas may be more indestuctible than the newer ones. Mine is a simple, straight forward, super durable bike. Sure, it's not a $3K bike, but it is absolutely a better value for the buck than a $3K bike. With upgraded tires, seat, and some tweaks here and there, you'll have a bike that is hard to beat. I ride some mountain terrain, but mostly rugged trail rides. I race my buddies a lot. I almost always win. Their bikes almost always break. Mine doesn't. (Find me some wood to knock on.) I love this bike, and plan on hanging onto it for a while longer.

Similar Products Used: many...
mobiorange   [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Good all around trail rider. Front fork shocks have limited adjustment, but I would take on a race anyday.

Noisy brakes!

Great entry bike that I put thousands of km on, and it can take a serious beating from strong riders and still come out on top. Indestructible!

Daniel Neff   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2007]
Strength:

Bike is built pretty tough. Weight is average not too heavy. Decent components. Double walled rims. Good ride in this price range.

The disc brakes are entry level brakes,Would have done just as good without the disc brakes. The fork is tough but has minimal adjustments.

A lot of these reviews bash the bike for what it has. The fact is it is a $600 bike that a lot of people bought expecting a $1500 to $2000 grade bike. You get what you pay for. If you are just starting out this bike will do good for you in developing your bike skills. This bike cranks well grinding up steep slopes. Descent is OK. You can plush the front fork for rough terrain for relief in your hands and arms but IT IS a hard tail. It gets a lot of bounce in the rear causing fatigue in the legs to ride out of the saddle to absorb these hits. So don't expect an all mountain bike here. THE BOTTOM LINE IS...For the price this bike has no real weaknesses compared to any other hard tail bike of the same price. If your looking for better quit being cheap and shell out some clams.

Similar Products Used: GT, Cannondale, TREK
Taylor   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2007]
Strength:

frame is nice and somewhat light, i like the deore rear and shifters

crank and hayes brakes are not my first choice. i have to tighten the bolt on my crank every time i go on a ride and the disk brakes are not as responsive as they should

the perfect bike between an expensive race bike and a recreational bike. this is would be good if you want a cheeper bike and still enter a race or two.

Brandon Rouse   Racer [Mar 30, 2006]
Strength:

Brakes grab fairly well, never had any trouble with the componentry, frame fits wonderfully, shifts smoothly, plus the air shock is adjustable to suit rider tastes. Also I love the tires that it came with.

I would have perfered clipless pedals, and a steel chainring gaurd up front. The stock chainring gaurd is just a plastic toy, so if you're going to be riding 2x4 bridges or jumping fallen trees, probably get a real one.

I'm very happy with my bike, I was looking for an inexpensive way to get into serious riding. This bike always seems to perform when I need it to, I'm not a big downhill or jumps kind of guy, but I probably put 500-700 miles of trail riding on last summer. Just small jumps, 2x4 bridges and a lot of single track. Its perfect for everything I've ever used it for.