Gary Fisher Ziggurat XC Hardtail

Gary Fisher Ziggurat XC Hardtail

[Aug 22, 2009]
dosman45

Strength:

Ok I just finished building this bike a few days ago. The frame is only 3lbs. and this 2005 model is made in the USA! Very high quality and this is my second GF bike.

None so far, I just took it out this morning for it's maiden vayage, it performed just like I expected with no problems.

Performed flawless today on it's first 15 mile break in ride. This is a 19" and I am 6' 205lbs. I put almost 6500 miles on the HARO Werx with zero problems, incluidig the carbon seat stays. I use this bike for all out XC riding and cross country and I am fully expecting to not have any problems with this one either.

HARO R Werx XCR hard tail with carbon seat stays, GF Tassajara Disc.

[Jul 27, 2007]
Kahlil

Strength:

Handled well, nimble, stable at speed
Light
Taught me to ride lightly once again

Had problems with frame durability - large dent in the down tube from an awkward but not particularly hard fall. Kept riding it for a few more months until I went o.t.b. and crushed the cf seat stay.

an aside: the BB bearings were quite worn when i did the frame swap

I loved this bike, but it was meant for racing not pushing my technical abilities.

Cannondale Super V 900, Trek Fuel 80

[Jun 18, 2007]
Johnny

Strength:

Laterally Stiff, relatively light (3 lbs), short chainstay, long wheelbase, normal HT/ST angles.

(see review)

I wanted to do an update after a year. I am starting to understand much more about how a bike FIT and riding style makes all the difference. If you like a hardtail, and like a LONGER top tube (if it fits, then you probably will like it), then maybe go with the Zig. Then the question is, "Can you get weight on the front tire for tight turns?" I went with a 100 mm and couldn't get the bike to turn great. I hated my SID 80mm.

The Zig climbs awesome and descends fantastic for a HT. Yea, a HT will beat up your back after hours and hours and hours of riding, but that shouldn't really matter if you're racing only. I now own a Turner Burner. I like the shorter top tube, more aggressive ST angle, and it does turn much better. I have a 100 mm on the turner, and I should have an 80.

Bottom Line: Get professionally fitted, see if the longer top tube works for you. Then figure out your riding style. The only drawback with the Zig, for me, was that it didn't handle tight turns like on rails. The turner seems to do that. But the turner is heavier, and I will give it a rating in a few months.

Moots, yeti, specialized, turner, ibis

[Nov 22, 2006]
Jeff Roginielewicz

Strength:

Nice Frame and Fork.

Bontrager componentry is not good quality componentry. I've had no complaints with my Klein road bike, but I just recently purchased a 2006 Ziggurat and the aluminum sleeves within the Carbon Cranks was not machined correctly, most likely oversized, and therefore the threads were slightly loose, and stripped out. The pedals were tight! Guess what, Trek's poor customer service, and my bike shop's poor customer service = me out $250 for those stupid cranks. My suggestion is if you like your hard earned money have them swapped out for XT components and then you will be able to forget about them.

The bike is nice, but I would not recommend the Bontrager components. They are a definite weakness and the carbon cranks SUCK! I will not be buying another Trek Product from now on and if you like your hard earned money but like the bike, have the cranks swapped out! I am only trying to save people from going through the same grief that I am. I now know how Trek keeps their costs down, whenever something goes wrong on one of their cheaply made components, they don't warranty it. Keep in mind my bike is less than 3 months old and I've only ridden it about 10 times, the highest this thing ever got was from going off a damn curb! I do not abuse my bikes and always maintain them. I also rechecked the bolts as I know things have a tendency to loosen up after spending a little time in the saddle. This is just a piss poor job of manufacturing.

Schwinn S-10 Mountain Bike. Have ridden several other Kona's also.

[Apr 09, 2004]
Tom

Strength:

Great frame geometry, light & strong, nice paintwork. Due to genesis geometry i can climb things I never could before, and trial performance is also great.

None so far.

I only bought the frame set, so my bike setup differs greatly from the original bike setup. With this awesome frame and bike setup, it kicks ass!! Price is also okay.

Merida Matts special ed. '02

[Oct 16, 2006]
Heavy Dude

Strength:

Responsive geometry, components

Perhaps a little too heavy, it weighs ab. 11.3 kg, one kg less would have made it perfect ! And Jones tires, well... they feel like cycling uphill on flat dirtroads ..but ok on trail.

Great bike ! With better tires it will make my 95 kgs feel like flying over the trails :-)
Ia m189 cm, the 19" frame is on the edge of being too small, with the seat pushed back at it`s limit, I can get too much of my weight too far back on riding uphill.
But it gives mye really much pleasure ! It`s like being in love, looking forward for the next ride .... ;-)

Gary Fisher Dual Sport 129, Merida

[Jan 28, 2004]
Brandon

Strength:

Great price for the componets. GREAT geometry! All-in-one shift/brake lever. Fork is super smooth and gets all 80mm of travel, plus it has an adjustable lockout.

Fork needs a stronger spring for bigger riders (I'm 6'3", 180lbs), but can easily and inexpensivly be done. Tires aren't the best. Difficult to find mounting brackets for disc brakes, both the Mantiou fork and Fisher frame use non-universal styles. All-in-one shift/brake lever. Paint chips easy.

So far so good. Upgraded to another Fisher b/c I love the genisis geometry and was really getting into the sport. It only took a few minutes to get used to the all-in-one XT shifters/brake levers. I like the setup b/c you never have to worry about being off the brakes. Even with the difficulty in finding mounting brackets for discs brakes and Fisher/Treks not so good online support I would still highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a well priced, well built hardtail.

'03 Fisher Tassajara

[Jul 19, 2006]
Johnny

Strength:

Light, a little flex in rear carbon triangle, geometry is really nice.

Not sure how strong the carbon triangle is

This is the first review I have done before waiting at least 6 months. Will I regret it? I am 5 ft 10 and got the 17.5 inch. I then got a thomson 90 mm, which made a HUGE improvement. This bike is on rails, and goes 20 seconds faster over 10 minutes than my YETI (flat course) consistently. I only got it just under 23 lbs, but I have never been on a better fitting bike. Longest ride only 3 hours, but no back issues at all. This bike easily corners better than any other bike i've owned, descends as fast as my YETI on normal XC trails. Maybe the ibis climbs as well, but that bike was alum and ate you up over a couple hours. I REALLY WISH I ALWAYS BUY A HARDTAIL BIKE from this day forward. If you race XC, this is such a no-brainer. I will take this on a marathon race in a month and I think this bike will have no problems with 4+ hours. I will update in a few months.

Yeti asr-sl, trek 8500, ibis, moots

[Nov 28, 2005]
JAY

Strength:

Light weight frame with killer workmanship. The carbon fiber chain and seat stays are great for longer saddle time. Good components for the money. Fox 100m fork up front does a great job soaking up the bumps. I have this bike down to a functional 19 lbs.

For races and rides I wrap the carbon seat and chain stays with handlebar tape. They look easily scratched and are vulnerable to gauges. The stock headset is weak and the handlebars and stem are heavy.

I race for a local shop and I got a great deal on an 05. ther new model lists for $3500. More than I'd pay for this bike. The best thing about this bike is the frame. A great xc race frame! I'd buy the frame and build up a killer race machine.

s-works, felt hardtail

[Jun 09, 2004]
John Angotti

Strength:

All-XT componentry, frame geometry is perceivably better than other bikes I have experienced. Light and sturdy. Well-designed and well-executed. Customer service is attentative and considerate.

XT brake levers also control both derailleurs. This makes for great performance with minimal hand movement and maximum control.

Manitou Skareb Comp fork is insufficient for this bike. It is very flexy, and the reverse arch technology has been historically problematic. My fork failed in the first week of riding. My LBS tried to rebuild it, but it was deemed a lost cause. I am currently haggling with Manitou to try to get an upgrade for minimal charge. So far, I have made little progress.

The tires are not very versatile, and are squirrely on loose gravel and wet hardpack.

I feel like this bike, according to GF: "our finest traditional hardtail," should have been equipped with a hydraulic disc brake.

Paint chips easily...purely aesthetic, but a consideration nonetheless.

I recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a total package, off the rack performance hardtail. My primary caveat is the fork. If considering this bike, try to get your LBS to swap out the Skareb comp for a more reliable, solid-state fork.

The geometry apparently provides excelllent hill-climbing and obstacle-evasion performance. The bike is easy to control, and acts for me as an extension of my body. It is extremely light, and feels great on the trail.

The cockpit is easily adjusted, and spartan mechanical setup provides easy cleaning and maintenance.

I am very pleased with the bike, and it really leaves little to be desired.

Last bike: '92 Trek 8000