Gary Fisher Wahoo XC Hardtail

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Alloy FM31, Shimano RM30 hubs, Bontrager Camino rims, Bontrager Jones XR tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Altus front derailleur, Shimano Deore M591 rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50 8spd shifters, Shimano FC-M361 crank, Tektro TK-845AL linear pull brakes
  • Suspension: Suntour SF9-XCM-V2, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

pomocanthus   All Mountain Rider [Apr 04, 2013]
Strength:

Great geometry, well balanced bike

Crappy components, especially heavy fork

Bought '09 white and red model used for $150. While everything worked, I can tell the frame was being held back by the components. Swapped out fork for a Fox RLC, swapped in SRAM X7/X9 components, XT cranks, added Avid disc brakes and new Vuelta rims. At $600 invested total, I now have an AWESOME trail bike that can do much more than my skill set will take it. it will be years before I can learn to push the limits on this bike. If you can find one on C-list for under $200 grab one and slowly upgrade components.

Other reviewer ... you need a new mechanic bro. Not sure how you can get stress fractures on the PEDALS without riding it much. Also if your friend torque down the pedals and BB to specified torques (requires the right tools) then I don't see how BB can back out. Also, if cables were new they will stretch with use and you'll have to adjust tension to maintain proper shifting. 90% of people who says they know how to adjust derailleurs really don't know and that includes some "bike mechanics.". Invest in some tools and learn to DIY. You'll save money in long run and don't have to depend on your ex-mechanic friend.

Just sayin'

Similar Products Used: Kona Kikapu DL
Rocky Mountain Element
Intense Tracer
C-dale Bad Boy
ICG4   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, comfortable, worth the price, good beginner components, great geometry.

Heavy Fork, bad tires.

This was my and still is my first mountain bike, but I tested the Trek 4500 and I just felt this bike so much more comfortable and so much easier to ride than the Trek (which is not a bad choice either).
For the price I think is an excellent bike (the best one in its price range) you'll not regret if you purchase this bike.
It doesn't matter if you are a weekend or an avid cyclist you won't regret buying this bike.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh hard tail can't remember the model but was about the price.
Trek top fuel 9.8
Seth Akins   [Apr 19, 2012]
Strength:

The geometry of the bike, break levers and discs

shocks (no maintenance can be done), the shift levers and derailers, pedals, bottom bracket

I bought the bike in September of 2011 and it is now April 2012. Keep in mind Winter from roughly December to February without riding it. I have had many problems with it. In the first month of owning the bike and riding the trails maybe once or twice I noticed that my pedals had stress fractures in then and were starting to break. In that same time frame i also began to encounter problems when shifting gears. They would jump gears when I shifted. I had a friend tune them for me as he used to work at a bike store as a tech and the problem still occurred. After winter ended I began riding my bike here and there and noticed that the left side crank was loose. I tightened the bolt and within a week it was again loose. I then again had my friend look at the bike and he noticed that the whole bottom bracket was no longer snug in its fitting. He informed me that the bottom bracket was most likely shot. I mean I paid about $650 for the bike and I feel as if I got WALMART quality bike. I would stay away from this bike if possible as I have encountered countless problems from day one. I love the frame geometry but the components are lacking in quality.

Kamil   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2011]
Strength:

G2 Geometry is Awesome!
Beautiful paint.
Fairly Lightweight.
Hydro breaks on an entry level bike.
Lockout.

Heavy fork.
Not the smoothest gear changes.
Since there's no clear coat, scratches are more visible.

Best allround beginner bike!!!!!!

rajunwild   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2011]
Strength:

Frame

Pedals

This is a type of bike I have always been comfortable riding. The bike is built great and super light. It allows you to upgrade many after market parts to make it even better with a strong foundation. Just started riding again, and I realize how much I have missed riding all over.

bradniemann13   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2010]
Strength:

Frame With Lifetime Warranty, Great G2 Handling, Geometry

Heavy Front Fork, Grips, Peddles, Integrated Shimano Shifter/Brake.

One Of My First Good Mountain Bikes And It has been a Great Buy. I Have Beaten This Bike To Death and It Refuses To Die. I Would Recommend This Bike To Anyone Not Looking To Pay Too Much But Still Wants A Fun, Quality Bike.

Similar Products Used: GT Zaskar
881MTBCOP   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, strong frame, super value , lots of bike for the money. Great looks

heavy front end, Derailer problems

I am a police bike patrol officer for the Laguna Vista Police Department. We use Fuji hard tail MTB for patrol. This bike cost lots less than what we use and this bike blows the handle bars of the Fuji! I love it and I can't wait to save some mula and purchase a full suspension version!

Similar Products Used: Fuji hard tail MTB
Russell   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, great geometry, great looks, Lots of bike for the money, great customer service.

Rear cassette, heavy forks

I bought the bike without riding it and I had problems before I even left the store. I picked it up the next day with a new front derailer. When I first put it on the trails gears began to slip. After weeks of attempting to adjust the rear derailer, Gary Fisher sent me a new rear cassette. Since then I have crashed, slammed, flipped, wrecked and used the mess out of this bike. It's awesome. Truthfully I haven't had any problems in months. I have ridden much more expensive bikes but for single tracks this is the one. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely spend the extra money and get the disk brakes. If you want better components Fisher puts a number of configurations on this frame.

Similar Products Used: Specialized rock hopper, Trek 8500,
clakes   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2009]
Strength:

Looks (Gary Fisher makes sharp bikes), Frame geometry, nice components for the price

Peddals (pedal reflectors fell off first time out)

I love this bike (Wahoo 09 Disc). Looks good...silver with white seat, very solid construction minus the pedals, handles great on trails, nice and smooth on the road. For the price the is the very best in value under $600 imo.

Similar Products Used: KHS ALite 500, Specialized Hardrock Sport, Trek 4300
jon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2009]
Strength:

good fit for me, durable, comes with better components then other bikes in its price range

pedals, grips

I bought it new out of the box for 500. Rode it around to get used to it for a bit then I took it out for about 15 miles of cross country. any time I had the gears set at 2 front 3 rear and put some force on it, it would pop. I will see if adjustments will help that. It held up real well through everything. It took a little bit before I figured out how to whip the bike into turns. I figure it has something to do with the geometry. Moving fast I encountered some unavoidable ditches, dips, and washouts and the front suspension got me through it but barely a few times. It needs a a fork with more give than what is on there. I am happy with it beginners with a budget should get it and if you have a bike already and ride alot it wouldn't hurt to have this one on standby (without the clipless pedals)