Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc XC Hardtail

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M65 hubs, Bontrager Ranger disc rims, Bontrager Jones XR tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Altus front derailleur, Shimano Deore M591 rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50 8spd shifters, Shimano FC-M361 crank, Shimano BR-M416 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: Suntour SF10-XCM-PM-HLO, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

Lance Foos   [Jun 02, 2012]
Strength:

I love the reliability of the Bike great starter bike for individuals growing in to the sport

hardly any the handle bars are the only problems they slip when your up pedaling other than that no

Sorry i couldn't write much I'm going out riding now sorry :-)

Billy   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2012]
Strength:

Great geometry (G2), SRAM Trigger shifters are extremely smooth, frame stiffness while remaining flexible. Bontrager components are nice.

The components (X4's) are little on the cheaper side when evaluating the price of the whole rig. The brakes ended up glazing, and making a lot of noise within the first 100 miles. Bontrager seat, wish it was a tad wider.

For someone wanting an affordable hard-tail that can still bomb the singletrack this rig does it. Being a newbie myself I felt that the G2 geometry made the difference in control that I needed to feel confident just starting out. The steering because of the geometry felt more controlled and less twitchy as compared to other bikes. The best description I can give is its like sitting in a cockpit, you just feel glued to the center of gravity. The shock does a pretty good job of absorbing trail bumps, however its an entry level shock so it won't make the trail silk smooth...but thats half the learning fun! The wide bars give you good control and open you up some so that you can "see" more in front of you. The Bontrager components are great, the tires grip very well and are very durable. The Bontrager saddle was a little narrow, and will make you sore the first ride each season, but it does the job...you shouldn't be in the saddle that often anyway right?! The 2011 Wahoo is a 26'er the 2012 and beyond Wahoo's are 29'ers but I'm sure that the Gary Fisher/Trek R&D team have made the 29'er feel the same as the 26'er.
Over all a great mid-level beginner hardtail rig well worth the money!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn
chuyler1   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2011]
Strength:

Good components for the price. Aggressive frame geometry.

Frame Geometry takes getting used to.

I picked up a 2010 Wahoo Disc recently in an effort to get back into mountain biking. It worked...as I ride 3 times a week now. I've always considered myself an intermediate rider. I can ride most New England trails but I'll get stopped by the occasional steep incline, and I don't ride at a race pace.

I test rode several new bikes prior to finding this on Craigslist. Most were in the $550-650 price range with disc brakes. The rest of the components I wasn't too picky about as long as they worked smoothly.

Frame Geometry: This certainly takes some getting used to. The handle bars are very light and nimble. You can quickly maneuver around any obstacle...but make sure you keep both hands on the bars at all times. Some bikes you can ride one-hand or no-hands on smooth surfaces...this isn't one of them. If you don't hold on tight, the front wheel will wander. But once you get acclimated to it, the frame is great for both climbing and descending.

Brakes: They work. I haven't had any trouble with them and they haven't required any adjustments in the 3 months I've been riding. I stick to XC trails so I can't comment on their downhill/freeride performance.

Fork: I rode with no suspension for years so I'm not that picky. This fork seems to get the job done. I don't really notice it, but when I need the travel, its there and very smooth. The lock-out is nice to have too, but frankly I forget to use it.

Drivetrain: No adjustments here either. Shifting works smoothly. Gearing is decent for XC riding. When I occasionally ride on the road (on my way to the trail) I can top out the highest gear...which could probably occur on a downhill/freeride course but in the woods I seldom even use that top front sprocket.

Tires/Wheels: When I first saw the tread, I thought I was going to need to replace the tires...but I was proven wrong. I haven't had any issues with grip except for the occasional wet root or wet bridge. Running low pressure definitely helps.

Pedals: Mine are metal (stock I think) and provide plenty of grip on your shoes and your calves if you happen to get your leg in the way. However, my first upgrade will be clipless pedals next spring.

Seat: No problems here either. Anyone that complains about a seat is probably spending too much time in it. Get off the seat and ride harder!

Conclusion: This is a great bike for me. A notch above entry level and something for me to build my skill set on without worrying about equipment. It is a well rounded selection of parts for the budget. I couldn't ask for more in a hardtail. My next purchase, will likely be dual-suspension so until then I'm going to rip up my local trails and have a few "Wahoo!!!" moments along the way.

Similar Products Used: 1994 Univega
1996 Nishiki Blazer
1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur
2011 Specialized Hardrock Disc
2011 Felt Q520
2011 Trek 3700
Blenton   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

G2 frame geometry is phenomenal, great frame stiffness, entry level components are great at the pricepoint, tough wheels, handles amazingly well at high and low speeds, smooth ride

Fork needs some time to break in before it starts working well, disc pads don't like 2 days of constant downhill action and had to be resurfaced/replaced, seat not isn't so comfy, grips slide a bit unless glued/hairsprayed, tiny pedals, tires are less agressive - they are good at most everything but not the best at anything (so that could be a strength or weakness, depending on how you look at it)

Fantastic! I absolutely love to get out and ride my Wahoo whenever I get the chance. Whether it is just around town, up in the foothills, out on the trails, or bustin down a ski hill in the summer, it's a blast! I purchased the bike two years ago and searched high and low around town, online, and in people's garages to find a ride that would work for me. After checking the usual places as well as reading a plethora of reviews online for other bikes in the same price range (Specialized, Raleigh, Cannondale, Jamis, etc), I went across town and found this beauty. What really sold me was the way the bike responded to user input. If I leaned left, it went left; I leaned right and it when right. No hesitation, not wobbly unsurness between transitions. Super smooth, super confident, super easy to maneuver no matter what speed. I am quite finicky about my bike and have declined offers to use bikes belonging to friends and neighbors because I usually end up breaking them (not from abuse, just form use). But this has stood up to the moderate beatings I have put on it. The geartrain is entry level with a Deore rear derailleur and Acera elsewhere, but it has stood up to my abuse, despite repeated attempts to "accidentally" break something, necessitating a need to upgrade. The fork took some time to break in before it felt normal and reacted well to bumps and drops and tree stumps, but it works just fine. The wheelset is pretty beefy and found on upper-level bikes and have yet to get tweaked. The brakes are also entry level but work great for everything except for heavy downhill use (like spending hours riding down the ski hill). Also, tire pressure is important for these tires to hook up well on different terrain. I use them on the street, hardpack and softpack, gravel, light mud, and rock. Thicker mud and, well... You know you need knobbies anyways. I have had zero issues with this bike (my wife's Specialized, on the other hand, is a completely different story; we bought them at the same time and it spent more time in the bike shop that first summer than being ridden). It has been super reliable and, at the pricepoint, a fantastic deal - the best deal, in my opinion. If you really need to save a few pennies, opt for the regular breaks instead of discs. I am in love with the way it handles (you sit back just a tad farther over the rear tire and the front fork is raked a few degrees farther forward which gives you some handling advantages at high and low speeds). I have a hard time riding other bikes now (even that cannondale that I really liked) because the frame setup and ride just don't feel as nice and controlled. If you are on the fence about the bike, buy it! You'll love it! Some of the issues that I've read about below (gears needing adjustment, grips falling off, cables popping out) could easily have been prevented by a competent bike shop assembling the bike correctly. Rarely do I ever give something 5 chili's, but this is it - I love it!

Similar Products Used: Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale F300, Pre-Walmart Mongoose :O
freebrd85   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2011]
Strength:

G2 geometry is a great feature, the sky blue and black color scheme with the white cables just makes peoples heads turn. Components are pretty good. Thank God for lock out

The hydraulic disc breaks are not adjustable, and they squeak at a slow speed. For the price, why the hell are there plastic pedals

Great bike for people first getting into the sport. I have no problems with the Ghost shifting like other reviewers had, yet the bike is still practically new. I have taken it to steep trails and the wahoo climbed well with no shifting problems, especially with the lockout engage. The breaks are ok but they have problems especially when it's at a slow speed the breaks start to squeak, though not all the time (so don't let the hydraulic breaks be the reason you buy this). Not as heavy as I thought especially reading other reviews on the bike on other sites, complaining about the weight. Overall a great bike, basically a bike that makes you want to ride it everywhere for as long as you can

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, Trek 3900
drew s   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

handled everything ive rode with ease good forks, frame looks awsum, love the brakes

grips twist with ease and the cranks make noise seats a bit crappy also

awsum bike i couldnt b happier with it looks great, rides great i got people always asking how much i spent on it cuz they think its a 2000 bike

pbmerc   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2011]
Strength:

Light frame, aesthetics, very soft (adjustable) fork suspension, handling and balance, tires, pedals, seat is okay

Hydraulic disk brakes started to rub and squeak/squeal and cannot be adjusted (have yet to be fixed); ghost shifting at high speed climbs; shifters could have better visibility; handlebars are low and are not ideal for long riding on roads

I would recommend this bike to anyone shopping in the $400 to $800 price range because of its quality parts and excellent ride, but mine has needed servicing for the brakes. Other than that problem, it surpasses my former Trek 4300 and any other bike I test rode.

Similar Products Used: The Wahoo is more solid and overall, a much better bike than the 2010 Fuji Nevada 1.0
fryed_1   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2010]
Strength:

Tough! Love the Genesis geometry

Below average stock parts.

Bought it [2006 model] for $100 talked down from $150 on a craigslist find and all it needed was tires/tubes. Rode it as I bought it for about 3 months, then spent about $750 in ebay upgrades and it was a completely different animal. All in all, best $100 I ever spent and even with the cost of the upgrades out-classes other store bikes that cost twice what I've put into this one.

gersh   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2010]
Strength:

Great up-and-downs, road or trail; stiff yet with a flexi-feel; just love the way it grows unto you, loving the way it handles on those arduously long steep ascents and soul-satisfies with every heavy pedal, and how it rewards you with the orgasmic rush of a downhill in a wind-in-your-face-stretched-smile... yes!

Not as flashy a workhorse as one might want...
Seat also grows into you... the longer the ride, the more tolerably enjoyable

Great start-up... but i'm not looking forward to riding any bike any longer than i've ridden this steed... no, it's a bull! :)